BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Nagromalg3
Rep
Drives: 640d MSport

Winter Tyre Necessary?

I got the 20" option on the 6 series I'm receiving and am wondering if anyone has driven theirs in the snowy conditions here in the UK?

Been googling BMW snow driving and all I've seen is bad stuff due to the RWD. I've only ever driven FWD cars (two of which were on 18" wheels and one being the same power as the 640i) in winter and found them fine, never found myself out of control and had only gotten stuck twice - both times i got myself out by rocking the car back and forth.

Are BMWs really that bad in the winter? Are buying winter tyres like a mandatory thing for BMWs?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

The stock tires on the 20" wheels are summer tires. So it is up to you. I have the summer tires on my car (19") and on the frosty roads in winter, the rear comes out a bit, but they stay planted.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

It depends which tyres your car is equipped. You CANNOT use summer performance tyres in the snow or temps below about 5 degrees Celsius. If you have all seasons then you are okay.

RWD BMWs are no worse than any other RWD car. But you have to know how to drive RWD in slippery conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
Nagromalg3
Rep

thanks both

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post
The stock tires on the 20" wheels are summer tires. So it is up to you. I have the summer tires on my car (19") and on the frosty roads in winter, the rear comes out a bit, but they stay planted.
may have to get them then if just a little frost makes the rear come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
It depends which tyres your car is equipped. You CANNOT use summer performance tyres in the snow or temps below about 5 degrees Celsius. If you have all seasons then you are okay.

RWD BMWs are no worse than any other RWD car. But you have to know how to drive RWD in slippery conditions.
I previously used Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta which were used everytime of the year and were fine in the winter on 18's in a FWD. I guess I'll definitely need to stick to winter tyres on this car due to the weight distribution then - especially considering I've no experience in a RWD car in snow!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

RWD in the snow isn't bad. As long as you have drove in snow before, its easy. Just remember the rear will come out if you do something you don't want to.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
First of all congrats and enjoy.
Don't suppose you ever considered the x-drive option (probably too late now)
In snow, balance plays a huge role ( as well as intelligent careful/ cautious driving.
My first car was a '73 TR 6 when I lived in snowy New England. I was warned not to even try driving it in snow.
I put Michelin snows on the rear and an 80 lb sack on cement in the trunk and NEVER got stuck!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #7
Nagromalg3
Rep

Thanks, yeah I think I'll just have to get the tyres and weigh the back down with weights
Appreciate 0