BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
stevewilm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2103 M6 Coupe

Help with Launch control

I tried to use my launch control today without success. The engine was properly warmed up, DSC disabled, and the trans in S3. The launch control flag wouold activate only when I moved the shifter forwartd and then release it. With the LC active, I would then move the shifter forward and hit the gas. The RPM's would run up to 3K and surge up and down. When I release the shifter, the car just moves forward at idle speed and the laucn control light goes out. I have activated the LC before, but never actually used it. Is there something that I'm doing wrong or is it a service issue? Any help wpuld be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewilm
I tried to use my launch control today without success. The engine was properly warmed up, DSC disabled, and the trans in S3. The launch control flag wouold activate only when I moved the shifter forwartd and then release it. With the LC active, I would then move the shifter forward and hit the gas. The RPM's would run up to 3K and surge up and down. When I release the shifter, the car just moves forward at idle speed and the laucn control light goes out. I have activated the LC before, but never actually used it. Is there something that I'm doing wrong or is it a service issue? Any help wpuld be appreciated.
I had the same issue. Would love to know the answer to this.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

I have never gotten the LC to work worth a shit. There is a serious delay after you letting off the shifter as to when the car actually launches.

You are better off drag racing the car in auto mode because it will shift more precisely and LC makes you use manual mode. LC will engage auto shifting ONLY IF you have the pedal all the way to the floor but that just results in violent tire spin.

I gave up on LC.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

Mine works seamlessly. DSC off, D3 or S3, lever forward and then mash throttle, release lever and instantly launch.

By the way, with the Michelin PS2s at low pressure even, launch control was an utter waste of time, rubber, and gas. Like Brian said, all my M6 would do is scarily go sideways, forcing me to let-off the gas in order to avoid a wreck.

But, now that I have P Zeros, I'm getting exponentially better traction and the launch control is actually really effective and quite fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell_1 View Post
Mine works seamlessly. DSC off, D3 or S3, lever forward and then mash throttle, release lever and instantly launch.

By the way, with the Michelin PS2s at low pressure even, launch control was an utter waste of time, rubber, and gas. Like Brian said, all my M6 would do is scarily go sideways, forcing me to let-off the gas in order to avoid a wreck.

But, now that I have P Zeros, I'm getting exponentially better traction and the launch control is actually really effective and quite fun.
I have never checked the D3, but following the manual instruction (page 66/208) and selecting the S3 it works!

Activate Launch Control
Launch Control is available when the engine is
warmed up, that is, after uninterrupted driving of
at least 6 miles/10 km.
1. Deactivate Dynamic Stability Control
2. Select Sequential mode with driving program 3
3. With the engine running, lightly apply the
brakes with the left foot.
4. While the vehicle is stationary, press the selector
lever forward and hold it.
5. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
The starting engine speed adjusts.
6. If necessary, change the starting engine
speed by 500 rpm via cruise control.
7. Release brake. When the selector lever is
released, the vehicle accelerates. Keep the
accelerator pedal depressed.
Upshifting occurs automatically as long as
the accelerator pedal is fully depressed.

Notes
Launch Control is available only after a certain
distance has been driven.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
stevewilm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2103 M6 Coupe

Thanks for the input. It probably isn't very useful to me, but I do want to make sure it works. Im following all the correct procedures, but it doesnt launch when I release the lever. I guess a service call is in order, although I don't want the dealer to have all the fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewilm View Post
Thanks for the input. It probably isn't very useful to me, but I do want to make sure it works. Im following all the correct procedures, but it doesnt launch when I release the lever. I guess a service call is in order, although I don't want the dealer to have all the fun.
You can make it interesting and have them enable it and "test it out" in front of the dealership. I never get to see my car being driven so after one of the service appointments I told Kyle (the tech) to do a lap around the dealership (street roads) and give it all it has on the flyby in front of the dealership. Luckily enough (lol) he agreed and I had a great time seeing the car tear it up.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Make sure you have driven the car at least 3-5 miles and that is warm.
Make sure traction control is off
Press break and when lever is pushed forward make sure flag shows up
You can adjust revs launch (ie from 3000 down to 2500) when you are about to launch when you are floored down with the gas and the lever still forward reduce the launch RPM with the left steering wheel speed adjuster for the cruise control .
Let go the level around 2500 to prevent wheel spin and better launch.
Don't release the gas at all
You won't be able to do another one like in the next 20 min or so
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

If your car has less than 1200 miles
Launch control is not activated until first 1200 mile service
Appreciate 0