BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
Ramzy87
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC CP

Downshifting M6 in Automatic

I'm sure everyone here drives their car differently. Personally I like keeping the M6 in automatic and filling up the shift gauge so I can get perfectly smooth red line shifts on every up-shift. The thing is whenever I force a downshift with the pedals or gear knob the car shifts into manual and if I put it back into Auto it gives me a one bar shift gauge. Not very practical when driving aggressively. Does anyone know how to downshift in Automatic and stay in Automatic with the shift gauge in full? I find manual shifting an SMG gear box like masturbating as opposed to sex being shifting a real manual so I don't really enjoy it and find myself concentrating more on hitting the redline than actually driving. Not to mention i've missed the redline by up-shifting too late and arresting the throttle. Is that very bad for the car? Its happened a dozen times or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

This is the logic of F1x DCT. (F8x DCT is slightly different).
1. Whenever you turn on the ignition it goes to Efficient(D1)/Comfort/Comfort/DSC ON as "default setting"
2. Whenever you disable M1 and M2 buttons, it goes back to default setting.
3. There is permanent Drivelogic memory for S mode so if you set the S to S3 it will be remaining in 3 even if you turn the car off and on again unless you have M1 or M2 set to S1 or S2 and you select it. in this case the last Sx will be saved as last setting.
4. There is temporary Drivelogic memory for D mode as long as you do not turn the car off.

So in order to have both S3 and D3 you can do one of these methods:

1. Don't use M1,M2 at all. turn on the car put it in S mode, select S3 and then change it to D and select D3. as long as you don't turn off the car you can switch between S and D and it's always "3"
If you turn off the car, the next time you turn it on it comes with default setting and you have to select the D3 again; however the S3 is already saved as last setting.

2. Set M1 as D3 and your desired setting (throttle, suspension, steering, M view, DSC). Set M2 as S3 and your desired setting (throttle, suspension, steering, M view, DSC). As soon as you turn on the car select M1 and then M2. Then select M1 again as D3 mode. now if you want to change the mode from D to S just change the lever position. you can switch between D3 and S3.... next time you turn on the car again you don't need to select M2 anymore. Just select the M1 to give you D3 since S3 is already saved as default for S mode.

I always use the second method unless on rainy day since I have MDM in both M1 and M2
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:55 AM   #3
Ramzy87
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
2. Set M1 as D3 and your desired setting (throttle, suspension, steering, M view, DSC). Set M2 as S3 and your desired setting (throttle, suspension, steering, M view, DSC). As soon as you turn on the car select M1 and then M2. Then select M1 again as D3 mode. now if you want to change the mode from D to S just change the lever position. you can switch between D3 and S3.... next time you turn on the car again you don't need to select M2 anymore. Just select the M1 to give you D3 since S3 is already saved as default for S mode.

I always use the second method unless on rainy day since I have MDM in both M1 and M2
This is GENIUS! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #4
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Hahahhahaha that sex anology had me like
      02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
This is the logic of F1x DCT. (F8x DCT is slightly different).
1. Whenever you turn on the ignition it goes to Efficient(D1)/Comfort/Comfort/DSC ON as "default setting"
2. Whenever you disable M1 and M2 buttons, it goes back to default setting.
3. There is permanent Drivelogic memory for S mode so if you set the S to S3 it will be remaining in 3 even if you turn the car off and on again unless you have M1 or M2 set to S1 or S2 and you select it. in this case the last Sx will be saved as last setting.
4. There is temporary Drivelogic memory for D mode as long as you do not turn the car off.

So in order to have both S3 and D3 you can do one of these methods:

1. Don't use M1,M2 at all. turn on the car put it in S mode, select S3 and then change it to D and select D3. as long as you don't turn off the car you can switch between S and D and it's always "3"
If you turn off the car, the next time you turn it on it comes with default setting and you have to select the D3 again; however the S3 is already saved as last setting.

Great read for the M noob like myself. Thanks!
Appreciate 0