BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
The_Phil
Rep
Drives: M6 E63

To all with h&r springs

Hi,

I'm considering of getting H&R springs for my M6 F12 convertible.
A drop of 25mm is huge for stock shocks. So if any of you done this job, please give a feedback for ride quality (stiffness in compare to stock suspension, bouncy!?) and daily use (too low?). Does the drop increase when it's settled down?

Best regards,
Phil
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phil View Post
Hi,

I'm considering of getting H&R springs for my M6 F12 convertible.
A drop of 25mm is huge for stock shocks. So if any of you done this job, please give a feedback for ride quality (stiffness in compare to stock suspension, bouncy!?) and daily use (too low?). Does the drop increase when it's settled down?

Best regards,
Phil
Aftermarket springs on stock shocks are fine. As time goes on, you'll def be able to feel them wearing away and you'll notice the ride gets very bouncy. Obviously the ride quality will be stiff and will handle like a dream for sure. ALL springs settle once they're worn in and will drop a few MM more. hope that helped!
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
Scarafin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Hi Phil
I've had my H&R Springs in my M6 Coupe now for about 3 weeks and travelled about 500km's on them.

Initial thoughts...... GOD DAMN this car is gorgeous with a drop
I think most people would agree that a car looks better with at least some drop, but this car really turns it up.

If your not used to driving a lowered car, you may want to think twice though as the front will scrap if your not vigilent.

Ride wise.... It's 'slightly stiffer than comfort, but not as bad as sport. That's just my personal opinion though. Will also add that I believe it actually improved the road feel ever so slightly, and even took a little of the 'bounce' I found in comfort out.

Overall... would I get them again, ABSOLUTELY

Scar
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
rjhoskins
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future 2018 M3

^^^ WOW. Nice shot!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

uhmm.. wow. That is the best picture I've ever seen of the M6. NICE!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
The_Phil
Rep

Wow, that M6 is looking awsome!
Do have any pictures from side view? I think with h&r springs the front drops more than the back, right?

Best regards,
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarafin View Post
Hi Phil
I've had my H&R Springs in my M6 Coupe now for about 3 weeks and travelled about 500km's on them.

Initial thoughts...... GOD DAMN this car is gorgeous with a drop
I think most people would agree that a car looks better with at least some drop, but this car really turns it up.

If your not used to driving a lowered car, you may want to think twice though as the front will scrap if your not vigilent.

Ride wise.... It's 'slightly stiffer than comfort, but not as bad as sport. That's just my personal opinion though. Will also add that I believe it actually improved the road feel ever so slightly, and even took a little of the 'bounce' I found in comfort out.

Overall... would I get them again, ABSOLUTELY

Scar
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have had my springs on the car for quite some time now--- I was one of the first stateside I believe. Here is my take:

The drop visually is optimal- HR didnt leave any gaps in the front and maybe left an 1/8th in the rear. The drop is 1 inch all the way around but since the car has a slight rake, it maintains it. So the "form" piece is probably a 9 out of a 10 in my book. When I watch my detailer drive the car on my street it has that mean looking stance from the front, no wheel well gaps from the side and the rear looks more hunkered down.

The function side is very very subjective as mentioned. What can you endure, what are you used to, how are your roads, how do you drive, whats bouncy to you... the list goes on and on. So for me, its bouncy on bold undulated roads and more of tight coilover feel on the flats. I have very good roads in Orange County so I rarely have an issue with the so called "bounce". But its there at times. You definitely will get more of the road fed back to you but I actually like this. It brings the feel closer to that of my R8 which is a stiff ride but still can be comfortable depending on the road conditions. Pushing the car into high speed big bends remains relatively flat with limited body roll (100 mph plus) and sharp lower speed turns are similar to the stock suspension feel. The car in super long straights at 150mph plus is very planted. The spring rates are actually quite good on this set up but Ive had other HR's where it wasnt so optimal. So when it comes to function- Id give the springs an 8.5 rating but this is my opinion. Oh I drive my car in sport plus for the dampeners all the time.

But what I find acceptable and even enjoyable is highly subjective. Your mileage may just vary.

Here is the car after the drop:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Scarafin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Always love your cars Vic

I don't have any side images since the drop sorry, but will try to do some next week. But Vic's pictures are a true indication of the drop achieved on my car also.

Cheers,
Scar
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
The_Phil
Rep

Many thanks for your detailed discription.
I think I'll try the h&r springs. In my last M6 Coupé they were fine too. One last question, how does the springs feel in comfort mode? Is there a huge difference to stock suspension stiffness?

Best, Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I have had my springs on the car for quite some time now--- I was one of the first stateside I believe. Here is my take:

The drop visually is optimal- HR didnt leave any gaps in the front and maybe left an 1/8th in the rear. The drop is 1 inch all the way around but since the car has a slight rake, it maintains it. So the "form" piece is probably a 9 out of a 10 in my book. When I watch my detailer drive the car on my street it has that mean looking stance from the front, no wheel well gaps from the side and the rear looks more hunkered down.

The function side is very very subjective as mentioned. What can you endure, what are you used to, how are your roads, how do you drive, whats bouncy to you... the list goes on and on. So for me, its bouncy on bold undulated roads and more of tight coilover feel on the flats. I have very good roads in Orange County so I rarely have an issue with the so called "bounce". But its there at times. You definitely will get more of the road fed back to you but I actually like this. It brings the feel closer to that of my R8 which is a stiff ride but still can be comfortable depending on the road conditions. Pushing the car into high speed big bends remains relatively flat with limited body roll (100 mph plus) and sharp lower speed turns are similar to the stock suspension feel. The car in super long straights at 150mph plus is very planted. The spring rates are actually quite good on this set up but Ive had other HR's where it wasnt so optimal. So when it comes to function- Id give the springs an 8.5 rating but this is my opinion. Oh I drive my car in sport plus for the dampeners all the time.

But what I find acceptable and even enjoyable is highly subjective. Your mileage may just vary.

Here is the car after the drop:

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have zero experience in comfort mode- sorry. I hit the M button after I start the car and my suspension is set.

I would guess it would be much softer and you might have a better freeway experience and also find yourself floating a little bit at higher speeds when you hit rollers or long bumps.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
The_Phil
Rep

Yes, it looks and drives georgous ;-)

Appreciate 0