BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
JOY FLOWS: BMW 6 Series design inspired by flowing water

BIMMERPOST NEWS
JOY FLOWS: BMW 6 Series design inspired by flowing water
COMMENTS
Name:  one.jpg
Views: 6147
Size:  110.5 KB

When we posted up the first TV commercials for the new 6 series two days ago, there was a pretty big stir. Not over the car or its design, but over the commercial and what the meaning was. Some focused on the two men smiling at each, some focused on the little girl and others bemoaned the fact that the cars weren't racing around a purebread race track.

First and foremost, we need to understand that these commercials are created by the marketing team, and aren't a reflection on what the engineers and designers had in their minds, its just a tool to convey a message. And the message should be ideally directed towards the group of people who would potentially buy this car. In this case, the market for the BMW 6 Series Coupe are the more affluent who is looking for a proper GT coupe, and will probably never see the track ever in the lifetime of the car.

With that said, it seems the marketing team attempted to marriage the overarching JOY theme with the design inspiration of the car: Flowing Water. Lead designer for the new 6-Series, Nader Faghihzadeh, has said as much about his design in a recent interview:

Quote:
Nader Faghihzadeh: I think darker colors would work best, as you saw on the Gran Coupe, it’s the same surfacing as here. I found inspiration in geometry water – that was my personal inspiration, because water has a certain stream, and you bring something destructive, creating geometry.

This geometry offers something elegant and timeless. So imagine a shark coming out of the water and opening a wave, and you keep this moment, you photograph this moment, and you try to integrate it in a very elegant, luxurious coupe. That means glossiness on water and fluent elements in general – you can interpret it quite well in exterior surfaces because they are also glossy. And if you see the car in movement, then you will understand why. There is a certain life into this thing and the character gets even stronger.
After the commercials went online and started to spread, BMW insider Scott26 further explained the inspiration of flowing water and how it was used directly in the marketing work for this car, summarized, the water theme will be seen everywhere. Here are some of the marketing placcards used to come up with the ideas for the launch to give you an idea of what to expect.

Quote:
For our International and UK launch in London. We will have a slightly submerged platform that will allow the new 6er Coupe to be driven through water be it an inch or too deep. In combination with a floating pavillion with indoor waterfall.
Name:  one.jpg
Views: 6147
Size:  110.5 KB
Name:  two.jpg
Views: 6055
Size:  90.0 KB

So the theme of water flowing will be used not only in wallpapers, online videos and TV commercials, but will be also put to good use in physical scenery related to the specific market launches of this car. I have to say, some of these ideas are pretty interesting, and would have loved to see a similar flowing water (waterfall) stand at a major autoshow behind the car-- that would be a real attention getter.

But of course for us in the online world, videos will speak louder than words. BMW has also put out this nicely done promotional video putting the water theme to good use in explaining the design of the new 6. Watch it and see if you think this connects the water theme to the car better then the commercial we saw a few days ago.

I think this video does the best job yet of connecting the water theme with the design of the car, far better then the commerical posted up earlier. But in the coming months, expect to see more JOY FLOWS and water inspiration, connected with the marketing of the 6. I for one like it, it sort of grows on you once you know where they are coming from, especially for a car like the 6.

Name:  f12-1.jpg
Views: 5939
Size:  158.1 KB Name:  f12-2.jpg
Views: 5834
Size:  114.8 KB

03-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

interesting.

thanks for that!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
mike87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

bmw needs to stop smoking the crack pipe. don't care about joy, bring back the ultimate driving machine
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
pampam
Boo!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: No car - Accident :(

I'm thinking more and more every day about it ....

I think I'll go for a 6 series
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike87 View Post
bmw needs to stop smoking the crack pipe. don't care about joy, bring back the ultimate driving machine
Couldn't have said it better my self

JOY = FAIL

Bring back the UDM
      03-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

yes, when i saw first the 6 series i thought it was a waterfall but then i observed it was a car , a bmw 6 series!!
wtf is that crap with water?!?!!?!??!!?!?
this makes me feel old somehow!! i don't like it at all!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Haha, glad I'm not the only one who finds this comical.

"Let your self be swooped away by the 6 series coupe' "

2 thumbs down for BMW marketing lately (outside of the 335d Superbowl add)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Actually "swept away" like a wave, again focusing on the water theme...

335d was commissioned by BMW North America.
      03-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Joy flows, downhill.
      03-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
335i8-50
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235xi

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Haha, glad I'm not the only one who finds this comical.

"Let your self be swooped away by the 6 series coupe' "

2 thumbs down for BMW marketing lately (outside of the 335d Superbowl add)
+1 the gimmicks are plentiful.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
F*&K YES !!!!

Agree with the above post 10000 times. To give an example, I have a e36 m3 (16 yrs old) and my brother has a fully modded 335 putting down 324whp on a dyno dynamics w/ coils and all the yada yada. But honestly and truly, my car feels soooo much more alive and raw compared to his car, it just gives me so much pleasure when driving compared to his 335 its not even funny. even though i have 1/2 the hp that he has, i still believe that my 16 yr old car feels more raw and of a drivers car. BMW needs to stay true to their heritage and things that got them here today.

/End semi-vent
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS

Waste of time.BMW stop your bullcrap ads
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

I thought the Joy campaign died with the end of year 2010, or is it 2011?
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

"JOY" does not Die... Joy is...BMW.
      03-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
F*&K YES !!!!

Agree with the above post 10000 times. To give an example, I have a e36 m3 (16 yrs old) and my brother has a fully modded 335 putting down 324whp on a dyno dynamics w/ coils and all the yada yada. But honestly and truly, my car feels soooo much more alive and raw compared to his car, it just gives me so much pleasure when driving compared to his 335 its not even funny. even though i have 1/2 the hp that he has, i still believe that my 16 yr old car feels more raw and of a drivers car. BMW needs to stay true to their heritage and things that got them here today.

/End semi-vent
while many would quickly shun the idea that a 16 yr old car can even compare to a 2010 etc, I agree with you. And it is my hope the the 1M is the back to basics car like the e36 M3.

sorry back on topic, the very large, very expensive 6 series (though it is quite pretty)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I am failing to understand why your really paying 100k for in this car. Honestly a vert M3 would give you the same HP numbers (obviously better performance), a hard top convertible (which is on par with all Mercedes and IMO opinion looks significantly better than a ragtop), and enough leg room for the rear passengers that people that own a vert M3 and vert 6 series do not put in the back.

Honestly I really do not understand. Anyone car to explain? Even if money wasn't an option I feel I would prefer an M3 because it offers everything the 6 series does and more. Yes the interior is nicer on the 6 but then again maybe that has to do with the car being 5 years newer.

Oh and if the M3 is too sporty and too performance based then why not get a vert 335i or vert 335is? These are all offering the same things a 6 does at 30k less. Please explain. And if its a status symbol of just having a 100k BMW then um...I don't want to listen to you. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
I am failing to understand why your really paying 100k for in this car. Honestly a vert M3 would give you the same HP numbers (obviously better performance), a hard top convertible (which is on par with all Mercedes and IMO opinion looks significantly better than a ragtop), and enough leg room for the rear passengers that people that own a vert M3 and vert 6 series do not put in the back.

Honestly I really do not understand. Anyone car to explain? Even if money wasn't an option I feel I would prefer an M3 because it offers everything the 6 series does and more. Yes the interior is nicer on the 6 but then again maybe that has to do with the car being 5 years newer.

Oh and if the M3 is too sporty and too performance based then why not get a vert 335i or vert 335is? These are all offering the same things a 6 does at 30k less. Please explain. And if its a status symbol of just having a 100k BMW then um...I don't want to listen to you. :-)

Why buy an M3 when you can buy a 325?

People need to focus what THEY want to buy and stop worrying about why anyone would buy such and such a car. Not everyone likes the rawness of an m3. not everyone likes the size of an m3. not everyone like the looks o an m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theride View Post
Why buy an M3 when you can buy a 325?

People need to focus what THEY want to buy and stop worrying about why anyone would buy such and such a car. Not everyone likes the rawness of an m3. not everyone likes the size of an m3. not everyone like the looks o an m3.
I compared them because in my opinion, the selling points of a 6 series are on par with that of a convertible M3. The only reason I used the M3 as an example is the fact that and M3 and the new 6 have similar horsepower.

Either way you did not answer my question at all. In fact, I did not focus on what I would want to buy either. I was focusing on the similarities in the selling points of a convertible, 400 horsepower, luxurious BMW. Except one is 25-30k more. In regards to the size, I find it difficult to believe that many 6 series owners would justify the 25-30k for the occasional rear seat passenger(s).

I guess what I am trying to say is I would like to hear from someone who is considering purchasing the new 6 and why the 6 series would suit their desires/needs over a vert 335i/is/m3 and 25-30k in cash. I am very open to the answer but if someone had more of a response than "because I want to" I would find it helpful to what I am inquiring about. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
I compared them because in my opinion, the selling points of a 6 series are on par with that of a convertible M3. The only reason I used the M3 as an example is the fact that and M3 and the new 6 have similar horsepower.

Either way you did not answer my question at all. In fact, I did not focus on what I would want to buy either. I was focusing on the similarities in the selling points of a convertible, 400 horsepower, luxurious BMW. Except one is 25-30k more. In regards to the size, I find it difficult to believe that many 6 series owners would justify the 25-30k for the occasional rear seat passenger(s).

I guess what I am trying to say is I would like to hear from someone who is considering purchasing the new 6 and why the 6 series would suit their desires/needs over a vert 335i/is/m3 and 25-30k in cash. I am very open to the answer but if someone had more of a response than "because I want to" I would find it helpful to what I am inquiring about. Thank you.

You are lost man! The 3 and 6 are very different cars....and FYI, the current (E63/E64) 6 series backseat is not at all better then the 3 series...in fact, it might be a bit tighter. And I'm saying this because I now have an E63 M6, and previously to this car, I owned an E93 M3 and my friends complained less about the lack of legroom in the back of the M3 then they do in my M6.

Now that we got that out of the way....do you really think the M3 offers even remotely the same luxuries as a 6 series? ESPECIALLY the NEW F12/F13 6 series? You can't even get a full leather dash/interior in the M3. Now, nevermind the leather...have you seen the interior of the new 6? Its not even in the same league as the M3. Obviously its a newer model, therefore its going to look better, but asides from looking better because its new, it has a much, much, much more luxurious appeal.

The demographic is entirely different, I spoke with a BMW insider a couple months ago while everyone was speculating whether the new F13 6 series would be a hardtop or softop. He told me from the very beginning, it will be a soft top because of the demographic of the vehicle. Most of the people who buy the car will prefer the soft top, it is a classier look (which can't be argued IMO, look at all the super high end convertibles..Bentley GT & Rolls Royce Drophead). They are all soft top convertibles...while a hardtop option would have been nice for sure, it just wasn't feasible at the time I believe.

Anyways, point is, the 6 series caters to an entirely different client, the client which will be glad to spend 20-30k extra to have the fine luxuries that this car will offer, and also to not be driving around in what at the end of the day, is a 3 series.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
Theride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Ill give you one selling point. I like the looks of the 6 series over the M3.

Hell someone could even say they like the fact that they like the headlights better than the M3.

Point im making is, dont worry about the selling points of any car. buy what YOU like and allow another to do th same.

Dont worry about why BMW is making a million different models, as long as they are making a model that YOU like.

Believe it or not, some people like the soft top over the hard top verts.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #22
Theride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
You are lost man! The 3 and 6 are very different cars....and FYI, the current (E63/E64) 6 series backseat is not at all better then the 3 series...in fact, it might be a bit tighter. And I'm saying this because I now have an E63 M6, and previously to this car, I owned an E93 M3 and my friends complained less about the lack of legroom in the back of the M3 then they do in my M6.

Now that we got that out of the way....do you really think the M3 offers even remotely the same luxuries as a 6 series? ESPECIALLY the NEW F12/F13 6 series? You can't even get a full leather dash/interior in the M3. Now, nevermind the leather...have you seen the interior of the new 6? Its not even in the same league as the M3. Obviously its a newer model, therefore its going to look better, but asides from looking better because its new, it has a much, much, much more luxurious appeal.

The demographic is entirely different, I spoke with a BMW insider a couple months ago while everyone was speculating whether the new F13 6 series would be a hardtop or softop. He told me from the very beginning, it will be a soft top because of the demographic of the vehicle. Most of the people who buy the car will prefer the soft top, it is a classier look (which can't be argued IMO, look at all the super high end convertibles..Bentley GT & Rolls Royce Drophead). They are all soft top convertibles...while a hardtop option would have been nice for sure, it just wasn't feasible at the time I believe.

Anyways, point is, the 6 series caters to an entirely different client, the client which will be glad to spend 20-30k extra to have the fine luxuries that this car will offer, and also to not be driving around in what at the end of the day, is a 3 series.
Amen. I should have just +1 your post before i replied.
Appreciate 0