BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      11-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 F12 soon...

Lightbulb 640 vs 650

Has anyone tried the 640 and felt it would be enough power? It can actually travel more than 400 miles without a fill up.

i like the idea, but really when your cruising down the coast, does one have to have at least the 650?
      11-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

I don't know about the 400 mile range because it's not a concern. Your other question seems to be a trick question. But my 640 GC can actually cruise quite well. If anything I have to set an alarm at 80 mph so I don't accidentally take it to 90 without knowing it. I hope that answers your question. Your profile says your going to drive an M6 F12 soon. So why the question between a 640 and 650?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

640 is more than enough car. Get the 650 simply because you want to, not because the 640 is wanting in any power or speed category.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

640i is plenty of car since the speed limit is only 65 MPH mostly. I would probably upgrade exhaust because good exhaust note makes it feel a tad faster without going too fast.

I briefly floored the car tonight on the way home. Cop was immediately behind me the moment I lifted my foot. Lucky that I did it very briefly.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 F12 soon...

Arrow Soo many options...

Well, to answer one question. In the past no matter what BMW I purchased to save some cash and try to enjoy normalcy, I sold it and purchased an M product. I really hope that I'm at an age, 49, where I can simply appreciate a normal BMw. All too foten after reading another story of Sucky' Run Flats makes me only want to own another M product.

I have test driven the 550, and the 535, and both with the run flats transferred a terrible vibration thru the front seats. I actually asked my SA if he could see it and he said, "yes! I never noticed that before..." So from that day I started looking at Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, since they don't use Run flats. I like the feel but miss the excitement of the BMW product.

So, i am worried that I may have to go directly to an M6 to forgo all the rubbish run flats. Then my wife said why not just change the tires to non Run Flats. So, i wrote a letter to BMWNA and they said changing to non Run flats would void my warranty. So I asked my SA and he said it would not. Well, I need something in writing.

Then i thought maybe get the 650i Convertible. I mean it has the same horsepower as my old E39 M5 and it rides pretty good. So then I'm like, how about if the 640i has lots of torque down low and what neversummer78 says is true. We really don't need to go over 65 or so...

In my M5 I was never at 65...lol

Oh. just screw it and get this:
Attached Images

11-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

If I was in the market for a 2 door sport car, Porsche would probably be at the top of my list.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Hehe, keeping M5 at 65 is like caging a beast. It will eventually get out somehow. They really need to adjust speed limit. Cars are so much better now that 65 is becoming more of a drag than safety, but people that can't drive yet on the phone are still sharing the road...

I tested many before deciding on 6 series GC. I love details on the car and technology in it. It is sporty yet mature and classy. I would describe 6 series as James Bond of automotive world, an athlete/assassin in a suit. I love the new 911, but it would be my other car if I can afford another $100k+.

After looking at the car again, I wish they put a meaner looking brake calipers on the car and a slightly more aggressive exhaust. Anyway, those will be fun future projects for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
FLBMWdvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i gran coupe

I came out of a 550i to a 640iGC. The only time there's been a noticeable difference is if I'm on the highway (going 70+) and want to pass someone quickly. Not to say its slow...just not as quick as the 550i. Around town or cruising along its fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed BMW Viscous View Post
Well, to answer one question. In the past no matter what BMW I purchased to save some cash and try to enjoy normalcy, I sold it and purchased an M product. I really hope that I'm at an age, 49, where I can simply appreciate a normal BMw. All too foten after reading another story of Sucky' Run Flats makes me only want to own another M product.

I have test driven the 550, and the 535, and both with the run flats transferred a terrible vibration thru the front seats. I actually asked my SA if he could see it and he said, "yes! I never noticed that before..." So from that day I started looking at Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, since they don't use Run flats. I like the feel but miss the excitement of the BMW product.

So, i am worried that I may have to go directly to an M6 to forgo all the rubbish run flats. Then my wife said why not just change the tires to non Run Flats. So, i wrote a letter to BMWNA and they said changing to non Run flats would void my warranty. So I asked my SA and he said it would not. Well, I need something in writing.

Then i thought maybe get the 650i Convertible. I mean it has the same horsepower as my old E39 M5 and it rides pretty good. So then I'm like, how about if the 640i has lots of torque down low and what neversummer78 says is true. We really don't need to go over 65 or so...

In my M5 I was never at 65...
As you note your age above, I'm rather surprised you are taking such an approach and over thinking the situation. I may disagree on your assessment of run flats but that is your personal opinion so go with what makes your feel satisfied, but the simple fact is you don't need to jump to an M5 or an M6 to solve th issue. A simple change in tires to non runflats will solve your piece of mind. It's not going to void your warranty,that is crazy for BMWNA rep to even suggest, what would you think the implications are on wear and tear? I don't see it and as the Ms drive without them and have a warranty it can't be such. Perhaps try writing a letter to the head of BMWNA to see what mgt says, they usually have to respond to such inquiries and you'll get something in writing.

I will say though, not to argue, but I really don't see how RFs can be such an annoyance as the new models have no discernible indication they are RFs. I just came from owning the M6 for nearly 4 years and the switched to the F30 with RFs and there was no difference in road feel between the two. Perhaps it was the 5series itself that turned you off and not the tires, coming from being inthe 6er body style for over 7 years, I was wanting 4 doors, I thought I was buying a 5er until I spent about a month living with the car. I just hated the steering feel and it was not the tires causing it, the car has taken a different direction and this may have been what you noticed. Inthe F30 it was tight steering and great road feel and if not for Sandy I'd be happily enjoying the ride and the RFs right now, it that's another story...

If you are going to get an M6 or M5 you have to expect to drive it well above posted limits, it's too easy and you often don't even realize it, they are too powerful for their own good most of the time in this country, so why bother with the premium if you are past that stage of your life....good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
As you note your age above, I'm rather surprised you are taking such an approach and over thinking the situation. I may disagree on your assessment of run flats but that is your personal opinion so go with what makes your feel satisfied, but the simple fact is you don't need to jump to an M5 or an M6 to solve th issue. A simple change in tires to non runflats will solve your piece of mind. It's not going to void your warranty,that is crazy for BMWNA rep to even suggest, what would you think the implications are on wear and tear? I don't see it and as the Ms drive without them and have a warranty it can't be such. Perhaps try writing a letter to the head of BMWNA to see what mgt says, they usually have to respond to such inquiries and you'll get something in writing.

I will say though, not to argue, but I really don't see how RFs can be such an annoyance as the new models have no discernible indication they are RFs. I just came from owning the M6 for nearly 4 years and the switched to the F30 with RFs and there was no difference in road feel between the two. Perhaps it was the 5series itself that turned you off and not the tires, coming from being inthe 6er body style for over 7 years, I was wanting 4 doors, I thought I was buying a 5er until I spent about a month living with the car. I just hated the steering feel and it was not the tires causing it, the car has taken a different direction and this may have been what you noticed. Inthe F30 it was tight steering and great road feel and if not for Sandy I'd be happily enjoying the ride and the RFs right now, it that's another story...

If you are going to get an M6 or M5 you have to expect to drive it well above posted limits, it's too easy and you often don't even realize it, they are too powerful for their own good most of the time in this country, so why bother with the premium if you are past that stage of your life....good luck
Yeah, I have no problems with RFs
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

My problem with the run flats on my 650 are just that they're not as sticky as I'd like. Has nothing to do with their being run flats, per se.

On topic, when I was looking at the car originally the 640 was a bit of a no-brainer from a price and efficiency perspective. Really, the extra horsepower is fun, but not really truly needed. However, the 6-speed wasonly available in the 650, so that quickly became the no-brainer choice. But that is no longer a factor, so it comes back to your own individual desires and requirements.

Both cars are beautiful. Both cars have a lot of get up and go. Both cars have gorgeous interiors. Your call.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
SAMLAMBO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 730Li

640i with a good downpipe from RSI tuning, ecu reflash and a good filter will do the trick.
Appreciate 0