BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      03-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
emranc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4, X3M

Dealer punched car

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a M6 convertible, one of the dealers has a punched car, does anyone know if i can get any more incentives for a punched car, does the dealer get any incentives from BMW that i can dip into? Also is the money factor or anything better on a punched car v/s a new one? Car only has 20 miles on it, so it is not like it is a demo car, just punched because it has been on their lot for over 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Laguna Beach
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

I wonder if the other 80 guys that read this before me didn't have a clue what a punched car was either. I was hoping to see a guy with a cast on his hand and an angry look that he hasn't sold the car off his lot but apparently it means something else.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
emranc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

a punched car is when the dealer registers the car so it is technically sold to the dealer as far as BMW is concerned. Also as far as DMV paperwork is concerned, it needs to be sold as Used if purchased, don't think the same applies for a lease (not sure)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 650 coupe

dealerships usually get incentive for this and pass it on to you because they have a 'used' car. If you are a purchaser, cars like this are often just what your looking for! A lease however is no good because its used.
10 years ago the Audi dealer would get about 5-6k for an A6, not sure what kind of money BMW gives on cars or an M6.
They normally had pretty low mileage and carted around management and such.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

When a dealer punches a car it is registered as sold to the manufacturer. Dealers do this to get manufacturer incentives. Manufacturers do this to skew their sales results. BMW does this worse than most. All the December cars were punched even if not sold and should up in December BMW sales numbers they wanted to stay in front in the luxury sales. It didn't work as Mercedes sold more cars in 2013..It does not effect anything as far as buying other than if you ask a dealer to locate a car and the car is punched they cant get it for you.
      03-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
emranc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
When a dealer punches a car it is registered as sold to the manufacturer. Dealers do this to get manufacturer incentives. Manufacturers do this to skew their sales results. BMW does this worse than most. All the December cars were punched even if not sold and should up in December BMW sales numbers they wanted to stay in front in the luxury sales. It didn't work as Mercedes sold more cars in 2013..It does not effect anything as far as buying other than if you ask a dealer to locate a car and the car is punched they cant get it for you.
Thnx, so can one double dip. For e.g.: there is a $7500 allowance on the car now and say there was $2K incentive in Dec, so technically the dealer gets $9500 from the manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emranc View Post
Thnx, so can one double dip. For e.g.: there is a $7500 allowance on the car now and say there was $2K incentive in Dec, so technically the dealer gets $9500 from the manufacturer?
Its not the same as that. What happens is the manufacturer releases incentives but u can only use the incentives if the car is punched. Theyre not common knowledge like the 7500 build out credit, so the dealer knows they are getting an extra $xxxx in the deal but the consumer doesnt. Plus the minute a car is punched, BMWNA pays the dealer for the car, so looks good for year end balance sheets for both sales and $$$

Lou
      03-16-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
johntclark
Rep
Drives: M6

Most you can get

If they really want to dump the car the most you will see is 20k off the sticker. When I was looking for new I had two dealers offer this on punched units. Prolly the most I will ever see.. I ended up getting a 2013 loaded blk blk m6 with 5k for 94k...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

a punched car is a car reported to BMW NA as a sold unit. Yes, dealers do this to get to the projected number or goal that they have for that month. Additionally, if the car was "punched" in a particular month that there was an incentive, it makes the car eligible for those benefits.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
a punched car is a car reported to BMW NA as a sold unit. Yes, dealers do this to get to the projected number or goal that they have for that month. Additionally, if the car was "punched" in a particular month that there was an incentive, it makes the car eligible for those benefits.
Thats what I was saying, you said it much better LOL....