BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Stumpel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6mt

Door open window retract

As expected, the windows on all four doors retract about 1/4 inch when the doors are opened. On other cars I have owned, the windows would drop when the handle was partially pulled, but before the latch mechanism engages. In other words, the window would drop before the door physically moved. The 640 does not do this - the windows drop about the same time the door moves. Is this unique to my car and possibly a problem, or normal?

Pondering the important stuff on a Friday night.... Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Aliendex
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M6 F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpel View Post
As expected, the windows on all four doors retract about 1/4 inch when the doors are opened. On other cars I have owned, the windows would drop when the handle was partially pulled, but before the latch mechanism engages. In other words, the window would drop before the door physically moved. The 640 does not do this - the windows drop about the same time the door moves. Is this unique to my car and possibly a problem, or normal?

Pondering the important stuff on a Friday night.... Thanks in advance.
As far as I know it's absolutely normal.
Window retract when the handle is completely pulled, this mean the door is already in a opened position.
If you watch closely you can see the window has enough space to open without the need to go down, it serves only for when you close the door, to make sure the rubber seal the window correctly without pinch.

Last edited by Aliendex; 01-21-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I don't see a problem with it. My M6 does exactly what you described too. The key purpose is fulfilled which is to create a tight seal on the window, so the manner shouldn't matter.

If anything on the "other cars", it's actually a bit imperfect for the windows to come down so early IMO. Near simultaneous movement with the door is preferred.
      01-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
Stumpel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6mt

Thank you both for the replies. I had a 996 a few years back, on which the window retracted just as the door handle was partially pulled (but before the door moved). The door handle switches on that car were weak and required replacement (a big PIA), which is why I noticed the way the 640 doors work. Looks like they function as designed - so that's fine.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0