BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

Had a few malfunction warning alerts

Malfunction alerts displayed on the heads-up when we were driving home tonight. They were random and went away. No physical signs of any the these malfunctions.

1. Malfunction Parking lights (twice) once when we shut the car off at home
2. Malfunction Left beam light

Anyone experience this? I did have the software updated to eliminated the need to hit the stop start button.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Hey Nicole.... As there have been reported random "malfunction alerts" on the site for many different problems or phantom problems, I would suggest you take it in to service. Ours said "Engine malfunction, service immediately, do not drive" !!! Yikes, we were 60 miles from home. Turned the car off.......... re-started and it was good. Another time "Recalibrating 4 wheel drive, take to service immediately"... it's not 4 wheel drive, it's a 650i !!

The service dept simply plugs it in and a printout appears with all alerts!! How cool. The car was in the shop while it was being re-calibrated, re-booted, whatever. All has been good since but the did say emphatically, "report these things immediately, do not simply overlook them as they will not go away and may present an issue in the future.

I'd say give the service dept at least a call to document your malfunction. Paper trails are a necessary thing when dealing with these $$$$$ cars!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

By the way...... you "eliminated" the start/stop button??? How exactly does that work?? How do you start/stop the car now? I've never heard of that one!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-4KIX View Post
By the way...... you "eliminated" the start/stop button??? How exactly does that work?? How do you start/stop the car now? I've never heard of that one!!!!!

I think she means Auto Stop/Start meaning she no longer has to disable that function during stop and go driving. I think you still have turn the car on and off.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...startstop.aspx

Last edited by BigHat; 10-08-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

Check engine light came on in our 2013 640 GC last Thursday, after 100 points diagnosic ran by the dealer service tech, they found faulty fuel tank ventilation. They planned to keep the vehicle for awhile....

You might want to bring your vehicle in to get it checked out.

Saw the pics you posted prior, beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

I think she means Auto Stop/Start meaning she no longer has to disable that function during stop and go driving. I think you still have turn the car on and off.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...startstop.aspx
Thanks for the great feedback.

I did call my SA first thing this morning. He usually calls me back in the afternoon. Monday mornings are especially bad for him.

Sorry not too technical. It is the "autostartstop" It is so nice not to deal with having to constantly be pushing the start stop button. As I said before this should have been a no brainer before they released the feature. I am sure some EPA regulation made them purposely do that. BMW is too smart to have simply not realize there customers would soon complain. At least they can now can prove to the powers to be that they tried but their goal is to satisfy the customer base. Same thing AAPL does with its software Fix bugs as new IOS x are released and the Geek squads of the universe rush to point problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
Thanks for the great feedback.

I did call my SA first thing this morning. He usually calls me back in the afternoon. Monday mornings are especially bad for him.

Sorry not too technical. It is the "autostartstop" It is so nice not to deal with having to constantly be pushing the start stop button. As I said before this should have been a no brainer before they released the feature. I am sure some EPA regulation made them purposely do that. BMW is too smart to have simply not realize there customers would soon complain. At least they can now can prove to the powers to be that they tried but their goal is to satisfy the customer base. Same thing AAPL does with its software Fix bugs as new IOS x are released and the Geek squads of the universe rush to point problems.
I'm glad you posted this issue with the aside on the software drop. I've always wondered if BMW would disable the "autostopstart" via software if asked. Wasn't sure if that was part of the deal on the EPA mileage rating given the car. Might save us gas guzzler fees.

As a Mac person as well, I hope BMW is as good as Apple USED to be in addressing this issue. The current AppleTV "upgrade" is a disaster. So glad I went to the web before just hitting "upgrade" like I've done for the last 6 years on all things Apple.

Interesting that you're getting warnings totally unrelated. Very complex system.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep

Update. Just got the car from the dealer. My bad. I didn't push the stop button twice when we parked the car at our friends on Sunday night. This shuts all the systems down. As a result the car sat with the auxiliary power on for a couple of ours. So when we started it up and drove home the car was attempting to recover from a weak battery. So don't forget to hit that stop twice. I felt like a bad parent leaving my baby abandon in a parked car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
Update. Just got the car from the dealer. My bad. I didn't push the stop button twice when we parked the car at our friends on Sunday night. This shuts all the systems down. As a result the car sat with the auxiliary power on for a couple of ours. So when we started it up and drove home the car was attempting to recover from a weak battery. So don't forget to hit that stop twice. I felt like a bad parent leaving my baby abandon in a parked car.
It's odd that engaging the alarm doesn't turn "off" the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
It's odd that engaging the alarm doesn't turn "off" the car.
Maybe it does. I can't remember if we locked the car or not since we were at a friends house and may have not thought a need to lock the car.
Appreciate 0