BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Danny1388
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M

Anyone retrofitted Top View and LCI Mirrors?

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has successfully retrofitted these options. Im looking to have this done depending on how extensive/costly this would be. Please provide insight.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Here you go: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ence-retrofits

Patrys@BimmerTech can do it for you, they'll sell you the hardware and do the coding remotely. BTW, you (or a shop) still have to install it yourself.

However, I would advise against this endeavor. I'm going to guess this will come in around $2,500 or so considering a standard rear camera retrofit already costs around $1700. There are 2 cameras that needs to be retrofitted into the mirror housing. Depending on the year and mileage of your car, it might just be cheaper (considering depreciation and taxes) to just sell the car and buy one with the option.

So what car do you have?
      04-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Danny1388
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Here you go: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ence-retrofits

Patrys@BimmerTech can do it for you, they'll sell you the hardware and do the coding remotely. BTW, you (or a shop) still have to install it yourself.

However, I would advise against this endeavor. I'm going to guess this will come in around $2,500 or so considering a standard rear camera retrofit already costs around $1700. There are 2 cameras that needs to be retrofitted into the mirror housing. Depending on the year and mileage of your car, it might just be cheaper (considering depreciation and taxes) to just sell the car and buy one with the option.

So what car do you have?

Thanks for the insight. I have a 640 F12. I dont mind putting in the manual labor and was hoping someone has already done it or knows what parts are needed for a DIY project. I cant imagine the parts will rack up to that much...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1388 View Post
Thanks for the insight. I have a 640 F12. I dont mind putting in the manual labor and was hoping someone has already done it or knows what parts are needed for a DIY project. I cant imagine the parts will rack up to that much...
you'll at least need to do some coding to get the feature booted up, and unless you're already a coder (with Reingold), that, you'll have to pay for at retail pricing.

I found this for the F30 retrofit, which should be substantially similar to the F12 retrofit. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1130598

You should email bimmertech at this point. I'm not sure if it's as simple as getting the 2 cameras and then the coding. You can at least go on realOEM and grab the p/n for the cameras and the housing, but I'm not sure if more ECU or idrive related parts would be needed. The F30 retrofit says it needs a special control unit. Maybe they'll help you with the P/Ns and you source the parts. Not sure what will be in it for them unless you pay them for the coding.
      04-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Danny1388
Private
Rep

Quote:
you'll at least need to do some coding to get the feature booted up, and unless you're already a coder (with Reingold), that, you'll have to pay for at retail pricing.

I found this for the F30 retrofit, which should be substantially similar to the F12 retrofit. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1130598

You should email bimmertech at this point. I'm not sure if it's as simple as getting the 2 cameras and then the coding. You can at least go on realOEM and grab the p/n for the cameras and the housing, but I'm not sure if more ECU or idrive related parts would be needed. The F30 retrofit says it needs a special control unit. Maybe they'll help you with the P/Ns and you source the parts. Not sure what will be in it for them unless you pay them for the coding.
Really appreciate the help, Ace. Ill check out the other forums. Looking forward to have this done and hopefully do a write-up for the rest of the community.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      04-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

no problem. Looks like the control unit for top view is universal across all F series BMWs according to that thread.

Do you already have rear camera function? If not, my quick read of the DIY says that you must also do the rear as well. (not sure why you wouldn't do the rear camera if you're going through the trouble for the top view anyways).
      04-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Danny1388
Private
Rep

Quote:
no problem. Looks like the control unit for top view is universal across all F series BMWs according to that thread.

Do you already have rear camera function? If not, my quick read of the DIY says that you must also do the rear as well. (not sure why you wouldn't do the rear camera if you're going through the trouble for the top view anyways).
I already have the rear so thats an upside there, currently scrolling through RealOEM to find part#s. Hoping to cut costs on this project and wait for good buys on ebay or anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:

Top view requires OEM rear view camera and PDC.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
Danny1388
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
Top view requires OEM rear view camera and PDC.
Thanks for the input, Nelson. The car already has rear view and PDC. Any chance you can give me some other pointers for this project? Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
I have the surround view module and the camera switch that you'll need to replace near the shifter.

Did this install on a B7, and assisted on another F10, it's really not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be.

Purpose on upgrading the LCI mirrors? Blind Spot Assist? or just Turn Signals?

Blind Spot Assist is also a fairly simple retrofit. Got the sensors and wiring for that as well

Lmk if you need any of those parts..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #11
Danny1388
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
I have the surround view module and the camera switch that you'll need to replace near the shifter.

Did this install on a B7, and assisted on another F10, it's really not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be.

Purpose on upgrading the LCI mirrors? Blind Spot Assist? or just Turn Signals?

Blind Spot Assist is also a fairly simple retrofit. Got the sensors and wiring for that as well

Lmk if you need any of those parts..
Is the surround view module different from the module I currently have with rear view? I thought it just had to be activated through coding..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1388 View Post
Is the surround view module different from the module I currently have with rear view? I thought it just had to be activated through coding..
The module in your car is only 1 channel (one input for the rear view camera), for surround view, you'll need a 5ch module to support the 4 additional cameras. Otherwise, theres no difference in the modules.

All in all, you'll need:

- TRSVC Module
- TRSVC Drive-Select Switch w/ additional button (upgrades from 2 to 3 buttons below the drive select toggle) - its the panel to the left of the shifter.

Side View-LH (Driver Side):
  • 1x LH HSD Wire - TRSVC Module > Front Bumper
  • 1x Side View Camera
  • 1x Camera Bracket (Sticks onto the inside of the bumper)

Side View-RH (Passenger Side):
  • 1x RH HSD Wire - TRSVC Module > Front Bumper (longer because it has to cross behind the dash - to OEM spec)
  • 1x Side View Camera
  • 1x Camera Bracket (Sticks onto the inside of the bumper)

Top View - LH (Driver Side)
  • 1x LH HSD Wire - TRSVC Module > Driver Door Plug (runs behind the hood latch > behind the FRM module - take apart the door plug and slide the cable in.
  • 1x HSD Wire - Door Plug > Mirror
    - - You can either purchase the wire separately and run it alongside the door harness upto the mirror - where then you'll need to purchase a plug that will let you slip the HSD wire into.
    --- or you can purchase a used door harness equipped with surround view and swap the whole thing out.

Either process is a PITA on the GC's
  • Surround View Equipped Mirror

or
  • Lower Mirror Trim for Top View Camera
  • Top View Camera
  • HSD Wire - Camera > Mirror Plug

Top View - RH (Passenger Side)
  • Same as ^^^^^ except for RH application - the Module to Door the wire again is longer (it meets the wire from the front, and both of them cross over to the driver side, then all 4 run along the driver side harness under the carpet.
  • The door to mirror HSD wire is going to be the same length on both sides.

Toughest process is obtaining all the parts - it all comes down to how much time you have to devote, and how much that time is worth to you.

PS: don't cheap out on aftermarket HSD wires. GL

If you're getting complete mirrors - might as well get the blind spot assist ones, and while you're doing the surround view, you'll need to run 1 wire from each door to the FRM module to give power to the warning triangles.

Then you run blind spot radars (installed behind the rear bumper), wired to the front BCM (behind the glove box). - vaguely. lol

Last edited by Igor_M5; 04-13-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #13
Tfzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

I am quoted around 3-4k EUR for surround view retrofit, on my F06 with already PDC and rear view camera, 2k-2,5k if source used parts, both prices include labor, is this quite correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I don't see how this feature is worth that much. I use it sometimes, but I honestly wouldn't even notice if it was missing.
Appreciate 0