BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Fragile
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Havanna brown 640i Cabrio -11

6-series convertible, turbulence?

Have been reading and viewing a lot of reviews of this car but there's not much mention of the turbolence in this car.

Those of you running it, with the side windows up, is that enough?
The rear window, does it help, or is it for backseaters only?

Or do you accually use the windblocker, which in my mind is pretty ugly?

/Richard
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
XGee
Registered
Rep
Drives: Dinan 6

it helps a little bit - I never sat in the back so i'm not sure how it affects he back seats, but it helps a tiny bit in the front.
i don't have a windblocker; I had it in my previous car (mercedes SL), and it definitely helped when i had it up, so i'm assuming it would be much better in the 650 than the rear window, which barley does anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
At speeds up to 100 km/h (62 mph) I would say you can drop the windblocker, only raising the rear window. Longer journeys at higher speeds make it more comfortable with the (very easy) windblocker.
But hey, when I drive topless it's because I enjoy life, no stress at high speeds
      04-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
The wind deflector helps to block out the wind and also to reduce the wind noise in the cabin which can be very loud when driving on the freeway. I've only had the wind deflector for about a month. Big difference between having and not having it. It is kinda pricey though which, for a car at this price point, should come included!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Fragile
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Havanna brown 640i Cabrio -11

Thanks,

Had an E93 before, the windblocker was a nescessity on high way.

Now driving a Z4, with the blocker (always on) but a little surpriced regarding the wind blow at higher speeds. And the chilly winds in Sweden is noticeable.

Was wondering if the longer silhouette made a better aerodynamics thus leaving the windblocker obsolete.

Need to do a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
Thanks,

Had an E93 before, the windblocker was a nescessity on high way.

Now driving a Z4, with the blocker (always on) but a little surpriced regarding the wind blow at higher speeds. And the chilly winds in Sweden is noticeable.

Was wondering if the longer silhouette made a better aerodynamics thus leaving the windblocker obsolete.

Need to do a test drive.

The F12 has a lot better aerodynamics in the cabin than the Z4!
      04-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
coolhandshin
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '11 650i Conv.

Below 100km/h, all windows up, wind deflector off - less turbulance and wind than a 5 Series with only driver's side window open.

Above 100km/h, all windows up, wind deflector on - just feel of wind stroking through your hair
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Simmo24
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
The wind deflector helps to block out the wind and also to reduce the wind noise in the cabin which can be very loud when driving on the freeway. I've only had the wind deflector for about a month. Big difference between having and not having it. It is kinda pricey though which, for a car at this price point, should come included!
Would you have any pics of your car with the windeflector installed ? Trying to decide whether or not to buy one.
OOps ! I need to update my forum pic it's a 640i now.

BMW 640i Titanium Silver, Vermillion Red Nappa Leather, 19" V-spoke style 366 alloy wheels, Comfort seats. Front Contrast stitching, DAB digital radio, Instrument panel with leather finish
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo24 View Post
Would you have any pics of your car with the windeflector installed ? Trying to decide whether or not to buy one.
OOps ! I need to update my forum pic it's a 640i now.
As a previous owner of 4 BMW convertibles, the wind deflector is definitely the way to go. The aerodynamics of the car cause the air to flow over the windshield and, in essence, flow down and back towards the front of the car. This is the major source of wind in the cabin. The side windows more help to reduce noise than wind (although there is some wind that comes in the cabin from the sides). The Wind deflector blocks the wind that comes from over the windshield from entering the cabin.
Appreciate 0