BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
what_the_deuce
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i GC

2013 650i GC (F06) Engine Replacement

I bought a 2013 650i GC just over a year ago. While I love the car, I've had more than my fair share of problems with it. And it has spent a lot of time with the dealer.

In just the last couple of months I've had the following:

Idle shaking, which was sometimes quite extreme
Major oil leak (apparently the oil pan was full)
Coolant hose leak
Spark plug crack
Turbo gasket leak

On the last one I got a drive-train malfunction error and the car had to be towed.

Then a few weeks after the turbo gasket leak I get a low oil warning. I thought this was strange because not more than 2 months ago I had the major oil leak, so they must have topped up the oil.

Took the car again to the dealer, and after almost two weeks I hear that the engine needs to be replaced. The dealer had to run some diagnostics and sent the data to BMW and this was their response.

Everything will be covered by warranty, nevertheless, I don't think it is acceptable for $100k car with only 42k miles on the clock and barely 3 years old.

It scares me to think what will happen once the CPO warranty runs out.

My plan was to keep the car for a long time, otherwise I might as well have leased a car rather than buy it.

Any opinion on whether it is worth approaching BMWNA or am I stuck with a CPO lemon?

PS. The customer service from the dealership has exemplary. Can't fault them at all.

Last edited by what_the_deuce; 07-14-2016 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
figgie
Private
Rep
Drives: CTS

Garage List
why would it be a lemon? Has the engine failed three+ times or just this once? odd choice of words.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
what_the_deuce
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i GC

The car has had multiple faults during my ownership, and now the whole engine needs replacement. Call it lemon or call it turd... that's not the point.

I do not expect this to happen to a car that is only 3 years old. If the rate of breakdowns continue, the whole car would've been renewed by year 5. Maybe that's what the "ultimate driving experience" is all about!

Last edited by what_the_deuce; 07-14-2016 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Well now you know why the guy sold it Two things
1. It sounds like the best news you could have is a new engine
2. I would be curious what the service record looks like on the car (always something to ask before buying a BMW - any dealer can look it up).

However, as mentioned, a new engine should fix everything. This stuff is mechanical and extremely complex ($$$$) and sometimes you get a bad piece of equipment (your motor in this case). All will be better.
Appreciate 0