BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
luxeous
Rep
Drives: 650i, LP640, Prius. Yep.

New 650i Vert owner, lots of questions!

Hey all,
Just bought a 2012 CPO 650i convertible for my fiance; car is super nice! Had a few questions for you guys:

1. Is the extended maintenance plan worth it? We can add it on to the 100k miles (matches our CPO warranty) for an extra $3500.

2. I've already read that people on the forum are not too fond of run flats. Was thinking about getting a set of forged 22's for the car, does that void any part of my warranty? They told me to be very careful and if it wasn't within factory spec it may damage something and void that portion of the warranty.

3. What's the preferred non-run flat tire for the 20" wheels?

4. What's the best way to black out the trim and front grill yet keep it glossy? Plasti-dip with a ton of gloss over it?

5. My other car is completely wrapped in Xpel Ultimate (paint protection). Any input on what you guys are paying to have these cars wrapped with clear bra?

Thanks all, stoked to be a part of the forum.

-Jason
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
ohugo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650iX GC

"3. What's the preferred non-run flat tire for the 20" wheels?"

I chose Michelin Pilot Supersport on HRE P 101 wheels (20´, 255 front/295 back). Very precise and komfortable!

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

(1) Extended Maint Plan is not worth it. You're just paying the maint upfront, money now is worth more than money later (net present value). (2) Warranty will not void with non-RFT. If you plan to lower your can, never use RFT unless you plan on being shaken to death. Also, 22's are too large for a 6. 21" max, 20" is cheaper on tires and look the best. (3) I like Conti's, best price / quiet / longevity. (4) Don't plasti-dip, it's a mess to restore it to factory and it chips. Buy OEM BMW performance grill. (5) Don't waste your money on clear bra. They turn yellow and doesn't match your actual paint color after awhile. It's a paint in the ass to peel off. I never had a single paint chip on any cars I've down (over a dozen car), use common sense and don't tailgate 18 wheelers.

Depending on your budget for wheels, look into ForgeStar (Rotary Forged Wheels). They're way stronger and lighter compared to OEM, but won't cost you an arm and leg compared to true Forged. Rotary Forging or Cold Forging is the same manufacturing process as BBS / RAYS.
Appreciate 0