BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

Exhaust valve on 640?

My buddy linked me a video of a 135 with the N55 motor with the exhaust valve open, vs it being close. I looked under the car and didn't find anything. Is there no valve or device like that on the 640?

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post
My buddy linked me a video of a 135 with the N55 motor with the exhaust valve open, vs it being close. I looked under the car and didn't find anything. Is there no valve or device like that on the 640?

No valve, thats why I went with a Meistershaft GTC!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

That sucks. Can only drive around in sport mode to to hear the difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, as said above: no valves on the 640i. I just installed M6 mufflers in mine and I'm trying to find out if the little vacuum pumps that operate the muffler flaps can be retrofitted so that I can have a little louder sound when driving harder. When I first had the M6 mufflers installed, I left the valves open but got quite a lot of drone inside of the cabin. Had them closed and that solved it... but the sound with them open is much much better (a least for my taste)... not loud but a lot sportier.

Said so, does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the vacuum open/close function to the 6 cylinders engine? yes I know the majority of 650/M6 owners would desperately want to get rid of the valves while I'm looking for the opposite I would think (and hope) the Active Noise Cancellation function can be coded easily, but my main concern is related to wiring.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1er View Post
Yes, as said above: no valves on the 640i. I just installed M6 mufflers in mine and I'm trying to find out if the little vacuum pumps that operate the muffler flaps can be retrofitted so that I can have a little louder sound when driving harder. When I first had the M6 mufflers installed, I left the valves open but got quite a lot of drone inside of the cabin. Had them closed and that solved it... but the sound with them open is much much better (a least for my taste)... not loud but a lot sportier.

Said so, does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the vacuum open/close function to the 6 cylinders engine? yes I know the majority of 650/M6 owners would desperately want to get rid of the valves while I'm looking for the opposite I would think (and hope) the Active Noise Cancellation function can be coded easily, but my main concern is related to wiring.
http://www.exhaustmeister.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I've seen this option but you still need to have original vacuums as the car connectors plug into the exhaustmeister to make it work and then the exhaustmeister activates flaps with the provided remotes. I'm sure you can just wire it directly, but I'm looking for the OEM option where the valves will open/close automatically. Thanks for the suggestion anyway
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Thanks, I've seen this option but you still need to have original vacuums as the car connectors plug into the exhaustmeister to make it work and then the exhaustmeister activates flaps with the provided remotes. I'm sure you can just wire it directly, but I'm looking for the OEM option where the valves will open/close automatically. Thanks for the suggestion anyway
There is no OE option or retrofit. The 640 (N55) does not have the mechanical, electronic or software means by which to actuate the vacuum valves on the exhaust system. You would have to build it from scratch which includes running vacuum lines and creating an activation system, either manual or automatic.

I hope you have skills.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Wonder why BMW didn't include the valve on our cars but the rest of the N55 line up seems to have them.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
There is no OE option or retrofit. The 640 (N55) does not have the mechanical, electronic or software means by which to actuate the vacuum valves on the exhaust system. You would have to build it from scratch which includes running vacuum lines and creating an activation system, either manual or automatic.

I hope you have skills.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it can be done without being a NASA engineer. Two vaccum pumps (I'm not sure if there is one on each side or only one on the left that controls both sides). vacuum lines are easy to connect as the holes to route them to the muffler already exist in the car and I would say I'm 90% sure that the codes for active noise cancellation are in the 640. The most difficult hardware part for DYI purposes is to have the mufflers and those are already installed and working on my car.

The main thing missing is some information from a knowledgeable member about wiring.

Now the question is: do I need to go through all this trouble? absolutely not but for me it is always fun to do things (myself) that make me enjoy my car even more and for the big majority of mods that I ever wanted to do (and ultimately did), the most common advise has always been "it's not possible" (especially at the BMW dealers )

Last edited by DR1er; 07-28-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'm pretty sure it can be done without being a NASA engineer. Two vaccum pumps (I'm not sure if there is one on each side or only one on the left that controls both sides). vacuum lines are easy to connect as the holes to route them to the muffler already exist in the car and I would say I'm 90% sure that the codes for active noise cancellation are in the 640. The most difficult hardware part for DYI purposes is to have the mufflers and those are already installed and working on my car.

The main thing missing is some information from a knowledgeable member about wiring.

Now the question is: do I need to go through all this trouble, absolutely not but for me it is always fun to do things (myself) that make me enjoy my car even more and for the big majority of mods that I ever wanted to do (and ultimately did), the most common advise has always been "it's not possible" (especially at the BMW dealers )
Had Panada Express the other day, this was inside the fortune cookie. This goes for everything though

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Had Panada Express the other day, this was inside the fortune cookie. This goes for everything though

hahaha, absolutely! Chinese are wise people. BTW I just had Chinese for lunch half an hour ago
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #12
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hahaha, absolutely! Chinese are wise people. BTW I just had Chinese for lunch half an hour ago

I got Chipotle for lunch today.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Now the question is: do I need to go through all this trouble? absolutely not but for me it is always fun to do things (myself) that make me enjoy my car even more and for the big majority of mods that I ever wanted to do (and ultimately did), the most common advise has always been "it's not possible" (especially at the BMW dealers )
I never said it couldn't be done. I said I hope you have skills.

Here's a little help: What you are trying to do is not active Noise cancellation. That refers to sound generated by the audio system to cancel ambient noise from a vehicle including the exhaust (think Bose headphones). In some cases (M5) such systems are used to create artificial engine sounds.

There is one vacuum ACTUATOR per side (they are not pumps). You should buy the electronically controlled vacuum solenoids (which regulate the vacuum flow to the actuators) from BMW or Realoem, as these are a critical component. I still doubt the ECM on the 640 has the capability to control the two stage exhaust, with or without reprogramming. Since no 640 in the world has the two stage exhaust (that I am aware of), why would this functionality be present?

Even if it is, you would need the ECM pin-out and coding information to stand a chance of accessing this function. A good starting point would be to see if the N55 in the 640 shares the same ECM as in other vehicles with the N55 engine. Then you would need a shop manual. Then the coding info. The list goes on and gets costly.

A better way is to just add a switch to flip the exhaust manually. This is much simpler, lower risk and less expensive. You could also tie it into your sport mode or if you want to get real creative, use a boost switch to actuate the exhaust at a certain boost point. Using an RPM set point as a trigger is more difficult. A full throttle trigger is easy, but almost pointless.

I would go with the manual control. If you buy all the parts and are ready to go and you're nice to me, I can draw you up a schematic.

Don't think the vacuum lies are easy. The last thing you want is vacuum leak. You need to tap a source near the accumulator so you always have a strong vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:

Here's a little help: What you are trying to do is not active Noise cancellation. That refers to sound generated by the audio system to cancel ambient noise from a vehicle including the exhaust (think Bose headphones). In some cases (M5) such systems are used to create artificial engine sounds.

There is one vacuum ACTUATOR per side (they are not pumps). You should buy the electronically controlled vacuum solenoids (which regulate the vacuum flow to the actuators) from BMW or Realoem, as these are a critical component. I still doubt the ECM on the 640 has the capability to control the two stage exhaust, with or without reprogramming. Since no 640 in the world has the two stage exhaust (that I am aware of), why would this functionality be present?

Even if it is, you would need the ECM pin-out and coding information to stand a chance of accessing this function. A good starting point would be to see if the N55 in the 640 shares the same ECM as in other vehicles with the N55 engine. Then you would need a shop manual. Then the coding info. The list goes on and gets costly.

A better way is to just add a switch to flip the exhaust manually. This is much simpler, lower risk and less expensive. You could also tie it into your sport mode or if you want to get real creative, use a boost switch to actuate the exhaust at a certain boost point. Using an RPM set point as a trigger is more difficult. A full throttle trigger is easy, but almost pointless.

I would go with the manual control. If you buy all the parts and are ready to go and you're nice to me, I can draw you up a schematic.

Don't think the vacuum lies are easy. The last thing you want is vacuum leak. You need to tap a source near the accumulator so you always have a strong vacuum.
Anything is possible with time, money, and patience - I saw a guy turn a Pontiac Fierro into a Ferrari F40 Replica which I thought was impossible. You can cut and weld the actuators from an X5 N55 (maybe F10 too), fit them with vac pump and a switch and you got it. However, if anyone looks underneath it will not be as clean.

I would save the trouble and get Meistershaft GTC EV Controlled. I heard that exhaust in real life, it's worth $4k
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Anything is possible with time, money, and patience - I saw a guy turn a Pontiac Fierro into a Ferrari F40 Replica which I thought was impossible. You can cut and weld the actuators from an X5 N55 (maybe F10 too), fit them with vac pump and a switch and you got it. However, if anyone looks underneath it will not be as clean.

I would save the trouble and get Meistershaft GTC EV Controlled. I heard that exhaust in real life, it's worth $4k
I'm with you, but DR1er has already purchased an OEM M6 exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks Bönz, this is great information! and thanks for the clarification on the name... I found several articles referring to the noise control of the exhaust as Active Noise Cancellation and the "artificial/enhanced" exhaust sound through speakers referred as to Active Sound Design; but in any case what is important is that we are all talking about to the same thing here

I will try to take a look under the trunk's trim this weekend to see what I have there and the part numbers I have already checked at Realoem. What I haven't found there are the solenoids that you mentioned.

My main constrain right now is time; of course if this costs thousands then the cost might exceed the fun... common sense above all things! so let's see.

I understand based on your comments that the Exhaustmeister option wouldn't work either because the vacuum needed to activate the flaps need to exist in order for the EM to have something to control.

If you have any information that you can share regarding wiring for the actuators, that will be a good start for me when I have a look in the trunk.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post

Quote:
I'm with you, but DR1er has already purchased an OEM M6 exhaust.
That's right, the M6 mufflers are already installed in my car and I'm really happy with both the looks and the sound during normal driving. I'm sure the Meistershaft is awesome, but it's not something I would like to have.

If this project ends up not making sense, what manually-activated options would guys you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #17
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep

Do you have clips of how the car sounds with the M6 exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #18
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have clips of how the car sounds with the M6 exhaust?
Sorry, haven't see this message until now. Check your PMs.

Just to clarify: I installed the M6 mufflers, not the whole M6 exhaust system.
Appreciate 0