BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

How can I get best off-the-line acceleration?

How can I get best off-the-line acceleration? Everytime I floor it from full stop in Sport mode, it hesitates and then pick up. Do I need to be in Sport Plus? Do I need to move the gear lever to the left?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Jumping off the line, you may just be experiencing turbo lag. Hard to tell much more from your description.

For technique, since you've got an automatic, hold the brake with your left foot while you give it some gas to get the revs up. Let off the brake, and you should take off just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
Jumping off the line, you may just be experiencing turbo lag. Hard to tell much more from your description.

For technique, since you've got an automatic, hold the brake with your left foot while you give it some gas to get the revs up. Let off the brake, and you should take off just fine.
Thanks for tip! Is that the same as launch control after turning off traction control? I never try it, but it now got 1300 miles so probably ready for its 1st launch.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Are you sure you are not just losing traction, causing the DSC to interfere? It is very easy to do that, esp on city roads that usually have some dirt and oiliness on them.

If this is what happens, it will feel like you lose power, and the DSC will then bring the power back on as grip improves.

If this is your problem and you then follow the brake / accellerator recipe above, it will just make it worse.

R.
      01-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

You can power brake. But you must also enable DTC. You can do this by quickly pushing the DSC button (do not hold it) OR putting the car in Sport+ mode. This will allow wheel spin and a better launch. The trick now is to not over spin.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
Are you sure you are not just losing traction, causing the DSC to interfere? It is very easy to do that, esp on city roads that usually have some dirt and oiliness on them.

If this is what happens, it will feel like you lose power, and the DSC will then bring the power back on as grip improves.

If this is your problem and you then follow the brake / accellerator recipe above, it will just make it worse.

R.
I think you are right about DSC interfering. I saw flashes on gauges briefly. I will try to turn it off to see if it is better.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
You can power brake. But you must also enable DTC. You can do this by quickly pushing the DSC button (do not hold it) OR putting the car in Sport+ mode. This will allow wheel spin and a better launch. The trick now is to not over spin.
Thanks, I will test the DTC button. I used to turn DSC off(holding it down) every time when I had 3 series. For odd reasons, I never bother to do so on this car. I guess there are so many things to push to get it going and I forgot, Start button, Auto on/off (off), off the A/C (auto on), on Bluetooth on the phone, on the radio and occasionally it doesn't read my USB stick which need reset, and DTC was left out by the time I move it. :P
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

R.
That's a good point. I just sort of assumed traction control would be turned off.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

How do you guys even get wheel spin!!!

I have a 650 GC with the N63TU which has a little more HP and can't get wheel spin!

I tried the sport+ mode and power breaking but nothing. I'm assuming its because my car is all wheel drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I tried DTC button today. When I put it in Sport and push DTC, it put it in "Traction" mode. It was odd, it wasn't Sport mode I think. Then, I hold down DTC and it turns off traction and said something like Sport setting on screen. Anyway, I kept it in Sport, and I think it is better today. I think the other day the road was somewhat wet, so traction control killed the engine. It is just annoying when I wanted to burn this some kid in Dodge RAM next to me, but I burned it anyway despite minor stuttering on the first split second. :P
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure I am following you. When the word "traction" is indicated in the tach, DTC is engaged. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but when DTC is engaged, part of DSC is off. This is the set up that allows for the most wheel spin.

Spinning your tires with x-drive is nearly impossible from what I understand. But I cannot speak from experience as I don't have it.

I've also learned recently that the 2013s with the Tu engine have a taller final drive. 2.81 versus 3.23:1. This, plus the added weight of the GC and x-drive makes it harder to spin - although this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by Bönz; 01-13-2013 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnz
I'm not sure I am following you. When the word "traction" is indicated in the tach, DTC is engaged. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but when DTC is engaged, part of DSC is off. This is the set up that allows for the most wheel spin.
Let's have a BMW definition of DSC and DTC:

DSC Dynamic Stability Control
The Concept

DSC prevents traction loss in the driving wheels when driving away and accelerating.

DSC also recognises unstable vehicle conditions, such as fishtailing or nose-diving. Subject to physical limits, DSC helps to keep the vehicle on a steady course by reducing engine speed and applying brakes at individual wheels.

Adjust your driving style to the situation.

An appropriate driving style is always the responsibility of the driver.

The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC.

Therefore, do not reduce the additional safety margin by driving in a risky manor.

Indicator/warning lamps

The indicator lamp flashes: DSC controls the drive forces and brake forces.

The indicator lamp lights up: DSC has failed.

Deactivating DSC: DSC OFF

When DSC is deactivated, driving stability is reduced during acceleration and when driving in bends.

To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC again as soon as possible.

Deactivating DSC

Press and hold the button, but not longer than approx. 10 seconds, until the indicator lamp for DSC OFF lights up in the instrument cluster.

The DSC system is switched off.

Activating DSC

Press the button.

DSC OFF indicator lamps go out.

DTC Dynamic Traction Control
The Concept

The DTC system is a version of the DSC in which forward momentum is optimised.

The system ensures maximum forward momentum on special road conditions, e.g., unplowed snowy roads, but driving stability is limited.
It is therefore necessary to drive with appropriate caution.

You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC under the following special circumstances:

- When driving in slush or on uncleared, snow-covered roads.

- When rocking the vehicle or driving off in deep snow or loose surfaces.

- When driving with snow chains.

Deactivating/activating DTC Dynamic Traction Control

Activating the Dynamic Traction Control DTC provides maximum traction on loose ground. Driving stability is limited during acceleration and when driving in bends.

Activating DTC

Press the button.

The indicator lamp for DTC lights up.

Deactivating DTC

Press the button again.

The indicator lamp for DTC goes off

Hope this helps!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Your cut and paste prowess is beyond reproach. But the manual does not suggest to use DTC to burn rubber and accelerate harder off the line. That is what this post is about. And that is what DTC will allow.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Spinning your tires with x-drive is nearly impossible from what I understand. But I cannot speak from experience as I don't have it.

I've also learned recently that the 2013s with the Tu engine have a taller final drive. 2.81 versus 3.23:1. This, plus the added weight of the GC and x-drive makes it harder to spin - although this is not necessarily a bad thing.
Aha, got it! I will give it a try, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Let's have a BMW definition of DSC and DTC:

DSC Dynamic Stability Control
The Concept

DSC prevents traction loss in the driving wheels when driving away and accelerating.

DSC also recognises unstable vehicle conditions, such as fishtailing or nose-diving. Subject to physical limits, DSC helps to keep the vehicle on a steady course by reducing engine speed and applying brakes at individual wheels.

Adjust your driving style to the situation.

An appropriate driving style is always the responsibility of the driver.

The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC.

Therefore, do not reduce the additional safety margin by driving in a risky manor.

Indicator/warning lamps

The indicator lamp flashes: DSC controls the drive forces and brake forces.

The indicator lamp lights up: DSC has failed.

Deactivating DSC: DSC OFF

When DSC is deactivated, driving stability is reduced during acceleration and when driving in bends.

To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC again as soon as possible.

Deactivating DSC

Press and hold the button, but not longer than approx. 10 seconds, until the indicator lamp for DSC OFF lights up in the instrument cluster.

The DSC system is switched off.

Activating DSC

Press the button.

DSC OFF indicator lamps go out.

DTC Dynamic Traction Control
The Concept

The DTC system is a version of the DSC in which forward momentum is optimised.

The system ensures maximum forward momentum on special road conditions, e.g., unplowed snowy roads, but driving stability is limited.
It is therefore necessary to drive with appropriate caution.

You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC under the following special circumstances:

- When driving in slush or on uncleared, snow-covered roads.

- When rocking the vehicle or driving off in deep snow or loose surfaces.

- When driving with snow chains.

Deactivating/activating DTC Dynamic Traction Control

Activating the Dynamic Traction Control DTC provides maximum traction on loose ground. Driving stability is limited during acceleration and when driving in bends.

Activating DTC

Press the button.

The indicator lamp for DTC lights up.

Deactivating DTC

Press the button again.

The indicator lamp for DTC goes off

Hope this helps!
I like "The DTC system is a version of the DSC in which forward momentum is optimised."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #16
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I've also learned recently that the 2013s with the Tu engine have a taller final drive. 2.81 versus 3.23:1.
Very interesting indeed. This is quite a big difference, this is more than 10% taller.

Please elaborate if you can. What is the source?

Good catch.

R.
      01-14-2013, 02:40 AM   #17
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post

PLEASE tell me this does not come out of an official BMW manual - "driving in a risky manor"...

R.
      01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PLEASE tell me this does not come out of an official BMW manual - "driving in a risky manor"...

R.
"Driving in a risky manor"

This?

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep

Good one.

Amazingly, even in a rediculous ad like this, they have to say "Professional driver. Do not attempt."

R.
      01-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #20
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Well....I tried!

Not that wheel spin is something I want...but I thought I'd give it a try.

DTC on...power breaking...nothing.

I think the weight and xDrive prevents any wheel spin on the Gran Coupe.

I definitely have a good amount of lag. When I'm at full stop and I hammer down on the accelerator, the car sits idle and hesitates for a fraction of a second. After having tried different scenarios, it seems nothing can circumvent this.

Even when driving along and I need to suddenly accelerate, if I hammer down the car will hesitate before launching itself
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwills View Post
Well....I tried!

Not that wheel spin is something I want...but I thought I'd give it a try.

DTC on...power breaking...nothing.

I think the weight and xDrive prevents any wheel spin on the Gran Coupe.

I definitely have a good amount of lag. When I'm at full stop and I hammer down on the accelerator, the car sits idle and hesitates for a fraction of a second. After having tried different scenarios, it seems nothing can circumvent this.

Even when driving along and I need to suddenly accelerate, if I hammer down the car will hesitate before launching itself
That is the same experience I have, but I don't have xDrive. I get very minor wheels spin when take off in Sport mode but traction control cuts the power very quickly.

On freeway, there is lag in any mode lower than Sport mode, but lag is less to none in Sport mode where it keeps RPM high and gear low. In Sport mode, the car can really dance at freeway speed, but that's probably why my MPG is so bad and burn a lot of engine oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If I build up revs and dump the clutch I can get the tires to chirp in 3rd- probably more the effect of no-season tires than straight engine power. In first, the redline engine cut out is pretty effective at stopping wheel spin...
Appreciate 0