BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Night Vision - WORTH IT.

So, I finally saw the night vision in action the first time this week. While leaving for a very early flight this past Monday (I left the house at 4am - still dark out), I got about 1/4 mile from my house when the heads up display flashed a warning and an audible alarm went off. I hit the brakes immediately (which were clearly "primed" to stop with full force), and as the car came to a screeching halt (from about 40mph), a deer popped out of the woods and casually crossed in front of me.

The few thousand it costs is WELL worth the price, I'm now convinced. While I'm sure it's not a flawless system, neither is human sight/recognition, etc. In this case, I didn't see the deer at all until well after I reacted to the car's warning. I stopped with plenty of room to allow the deer to safely cross - but had I noticed it on my own (or worse, not at all), I'm almost certain it would have been too late and caused an accident.

Moral of the story - if you're considering the night vision option, and especially if you travel in places with deer (or even people walking along the roads), include it in your build.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
MSUGOGRN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Black X3MC

Good to know and great that this sort of tech can help. Definitely something that is on my list next time I buy.
Appreciate 0