BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Launch Control

Does the 2014 F13 650i have it? Is it something that can be coded? I have read that the F10 has it, and of course the M5/6, but i have been reading posts on other sites about people with newer F10's & F13's that have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

I ended up talking with someone that codes BMW's and it has to be activated but the 8 speed trans does have the launch control feature. So tomorrow I will meet up with him and he will activate it and a bunch of other options for me! I don't get why BMW hides all these features from us..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
poloka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit
I ended up talking with someone that codes BMW's and it has to be activated but the 8 speed trans does have the launch control feature. So tomorrow I will meet up with him and he will activate it and a bunch of other options for me! I don't get why BMW hides all these features from us..
What other options you activating? I'm curious to what is available.

Previously owned:
2015 650xi Gran Coupe MSport
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
What other options you activating? I'm curious to what is available.
After it is all done in a few hours I'll post up what was coded in other than the launch control. I can't believe I've had this car for almost a year and didn't know it came with that option among other ones that can be coded in. Doesn't make any sense to me as to why BMW wouldn't have the car come with options like windows and mirrors opening/closing with the keyfob, and also the PSI per tire and temp.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

can you pm me the information of your decoder? I would like to get a few things done also
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
Does the 2014 F13 650i have it? Is it something that can be coded? I have read that the F10 has it, and of course the M5/6, but i have been reading posts on other sites about people with newer F10's & F13's that have it.
I believe in 2013 BMW announced the LC for ZF transmission for cars going to production in summer 2013:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nsmission.html

I'm surprised your car doesn't have it. I know 3,4,5 series have it
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

The car had the launch control but it was deactivated on my car. I know it's active on the M cars and the F10's so I don't get why. Other things he coded that I can remember were:

Brake lights flash under hard braking
Angel Eyes don't dim with headlights on
Fog lights on with high beams
DVD in motion.
Key FOB to fold mirrors.
Disable I DRIVE disclaimer.
A/C & ventilation to stay off when you powered it off last time
Close Windows/sunroof with Keyfob.
Opening doors will not interrupt windows.
Temperature & PSI to tire monitor screen

I got the guys info from this CL ad: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/aos/4734090727.html Cool guy, he gave me a good price and even drove out to meet me at my office.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The car had the launch control but it was deactivated on my car. I know it's active on the M cars and the F10's so I don't get why. Other things he coded that I can remember were:

DVD in motion.
Key FOB to fold mirrors.

I got the guys info from this CL ad: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/aos/4734090727.html Cool guy, he gave me a good price and even drove out to meet me at my office.

Nice... BTW you need to adjust/reduce the tire pressures... I usually go with 33 all around... better grip/traction and less bumpy
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Nice... BTW you need to adjust/reduce the tire pressures... I usually go with 33 all around... better grip/traction and less bumpy
Yeah it's reading different than the pen psi gauge I was using. Everything is made in China these days! I'm gonna go with what the sensors are reporting and lower it. I had set the fronts & rears to 36psi cold. I like the pressure a little higher, better MPG and the car feels a little more stiff, I am not on RFT's, if you are they are a much harder ride than the tires I have on.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #10
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it's reading different than the pen psi gauge I was using. Everything is made in China these days! I'm gonna go with what the sensors are reporting and lower it. I had set the fronts & rears to 36psi cold. I like the pressure a little higher, better MPG and the car feels a little more stiff, I am not on RFT's, if you are they are a much harder ride than the tires I have on.
No I'm not on RFT. RFT is no longer installed on M cars by manufacturer, instead they install Tubeless Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Pirelli Pzero. Mine is PSS. I think you are right about stiffness since 650i is not as stiff as M6.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
No I'm not on RFT. RFT is no longer installed on M cars by manufacturer, instead they install Tubeless Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Pirelli Pzero. Mine is PSS. I think you are right about stiffness since 650i is not as stiff as M6.
Yeah that is true too! I added the H&R's and I still want to do the Dinan Shockware to stiffen it up even more but I haven't gotten to it yet and I hate spending money on a mod I can't control or see that I have installed. If you take your car to the dealer and they update the firmware you will lose all these coded settings and the Shockware if you have it from what I've heard. You would probably have to go back to the Dinan authorized shop and pay them another $125 to re-install it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
poloka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540xi

Quote:

DVD in motion.
Key FOB to fold mirrors.

Dang, wonder if anyone local in MO?

Previously owned:
2015 650xi Gran Coupe MSport
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Even if there is not a guy local to you there is a solution, you have to buy the cable and hook it up to a laptop with internet, then the guy remote codes your car. I think it's right around $165 for the cable and the coding all together. Here is the guys email, hit him up about coding and he will send you the PDF with the options and details, I checked and LC is not on the list so make sure you tell him to activate that one if you do it! codemycar@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Friendly advice

1. I would not publicly mention you are adding something to your car that did not come from the factory (i.e. Launch Control). BMW does check out these forums and I have heard of people having warranty claims denied based on them seeing stuff like this. In short, if you have a powertrain failure and they find out you turned on launch control, you are toast.

2. The flashing brake lights sound cool as well -except, I believe you live in the land of attorneys and if you are rear ended and the other driver says "his tail lights were flashing", you are toast again.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
1. I would not publicly mention you are adding something to your car that did not come from the factory (i.e. Launch Control). BMW does check out these forums and I have heard of people having warranty claims denied based on them seeing stuff like this. In short, if you have a powertrain failure and they find out you turned on launch control, you are toast.

2. The flashing brake lights sound cool as well -except, I believe you live in the land of attorneys and if you are rear ended and the other driver says "his tail lights were flashing", you are toast again.
These are all options that come standard on the car Dougy.. If I want to turn them on, it is at my leisure. That's like saying well BMW didn't turn on the AC controls so turning them on could cause you problems. I'll let you in on another secret, BMW can go and dance the Hully Gully for all I care, the car is leased and I pay a premium, if they don't like how I handle the car while it is in my possession they can feel free to take it off my hands and I'll gladly go get a Benz, Maserati, Audi, etc. BMW is more scared to lose our business rather than dealing with a few cars that have mods.

In regards to the flashing brakes, you're off base. A lawyer would state that the BMW function of flasshing the lights to gain the attention of the driver behind you should have further assisted in not causing the accident and I would still win, why do you think they made the feature in the first place? On some BMW cars in the US all of these come active, you just have to ask the dealer when you buy/lease the car and they will do anything you want with coding. Once you're out they will charge over $250, so I went the cheaper route is all.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #16
AgustaF4M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93M3

Quote:
Quote:

These are all options that come standard on the car Dougy.. If I want to turn them on, it is at my leisure. That's like saying well BMW didn't turn on the AC controls so turning them on could cause you problems. I'll let you in on another secret, BMW can go and dance the Hully Gully for all I care, the car is leased and I pay a premium, if they don't like how I handle the car while it is in my possession they can feel free to take it off my hands and I'll gladly go get a Benz, Maserati, Audi, etc. BMW is more scared to lose our business rather than dealing with a few cars that have mods.

In regards to the flashing brakes, you're off base. A lawyer would state that the BMW function of flasshing the lights to gain the attention of the driver behind you should have further assisted in not causing the accident and I would still win, why do you think they made the feature in the first place? On some BMW cars in the US all of these come active, you just have to ask the dealer when you buy/lease the car and they will do anything you want with coding. Once you're out they will charge over $250, so I went the cheaper route is all.
I second that motion, had this guy code my 650 and my 2014X5. He will be doing my friend's '13 M5.
Very reliable.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #17
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

If your car is supposed to have the feature, I would expect BMW to fix it/code it for you under warranty (with regards to the launch control).

Regarding the brake lights, if they were illegal, it wouldn't matter in a court of law, you would lose. Fortunately, they are not (this is cool) and valid as long as they flash no more than 4 times in 4 seconds.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de.../c2/a7/25251.5

Last edited by doug_999; 12-10-2014 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: grammatical
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

The car has the features, they are just not activated on some cars depending on who at the factory/dealer coded it. Had I asked the dealer to activate them they would have when I got the car. If the brake feature was not legal in the USA, BMW would not have been able to add it to the car and ship it to the states, I have seen some models that have it activated from the dealer. You are incorrect about it being under warranty, coding, and specifically requested firmware updates are not free in most cases because it is not required for the car to drive on the road, warranty covers something wrong with the vehicle. You can do things the way you do them, and other will do it differently. I appreciate your concern for us all but trust me when I say I know BMW and what they are ok with and what they are not, I have been financed by them for over 10 years now, we're all good!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The car has the features, they are just not activated on some cars depending on who at the factory/dealer coded it. Had I asked the dealer to activate them they would have when I got the car. If the brake feature was not legal in the USA, BMW would not have been able to add it to the car and ship it to the states, I have seen some models that have it activated from the dealer. You are incorrect about it being under warranty, coding, and specifically requested firmware updates are not free in most cases because it is not required for the car to drive on the road, warranty covers something wrong with the vehicle. You can do things the way you do them, and other will do it differently. I appreciate your concern for us all but trust me when I say I know BMW and what they are ok with and what they are not, I have been financed by them for over 10 years now, we're all good!
If the feature is in the manual and your car is supposed to have it, it is covered under warranty - no matter what. If a firmware update is required to make something work, then it is also covered. What is not covered is a firmware/coding update because you heard there was something cool in it. They used to do this way back in the early days of the E60 5-series. BMW would publish a list of the fixes/updates with the latest software release and people would take their cars in (each update of the software can take almost 8 hours). Subsequently, BMW stopped publishing what was touched/fixed in each release of software. So you have to ask very specifically Long story short, if the manual says "here is how you activate launch control", you simply bring the car to your dealer and say "my launch control does not work" and they "fix it". You do NOT say "I want a new software version or some coding changed" - because that request does not work.

With regards to the brake light feature and other things you can have "coded" by a 3rd party. Let me be very clear - just because your car has a feature that can be turned on, does not make it legal here.

BMW is very specific to what is coded by default on your car. There are some very cool things (as you know) that you can do including, allowing video in motion which is illegal in most states that I am aware of. So just because there is a feature, if it is off, there may be a very good reason for it - including but not limited to, it being illegal

(ps - on my 19th year of owning/leasing a BMW -except for the 39 dark months of owning a....Lexus...ugh)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #20
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the feature is in the manual and your car is supposed to have it, it is covered under warranty - no matter what. If a firmware update is required to make something work, then it is also covered. What is not covered is a firmware/coding update because you heard there was something cool in it. They used to do this way back in the early days of the E60 5-series. BMW would publish a list of the fixes/updates with the latest software release and people would take their cars in (each update of the software can take almost 8 hours). Subsequently, BMW stopped publishing what was touched/fixed in each release of software. So you have to ask very specifically Long story short, if the manual says "here is how you activate launch control", you simply bring the car to your dealer and say "my launch control does not work" and they "fix it". You do NOT say "I want a new software version or some coding changed" - because that request does not work.

With regards to the brake light feature and other things you can have "coded" by a 3rd party. Let me be very clear - just because your car has a feature that can be turned on, does not make it legal here.

BMW is very specific to what is coded by default on your car. There are some very cool things (as you know) that you can do including, allowing video in motion which is illegal in most states that I am aware of. So just because there is a feature, if it is off, there may be a very good reason for it - including but not limited to, it being illegal

(ps - on my 19th year of owning/leasing a BMW -except for the 39 dark months of owning a....Lexus...ugh)
I hear what you're saying and people could validate both of our points. My point is, i just don't care, and I'll do what I want with my car until the end of lease. If any issues come around, there's nothin a couple $$$ cant fix Again, I am not worried in the slightest and you shouldn't be either, it's a car, not a Faberge Egg.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #21
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Can someone shoot me a PM with the location of the tire pressure and temp option? I have the coding software, cable, and have coded other options. Just need to know the location please. Thanks!

Brian
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #22
BMWOO7
BMW CCA #505303
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M / 2013 SVT Raptor

I'm looking for it here, in the meantime if you go over to one of the coding forums and do a quick search you'll find it quick.

It's one of the more 'common' coding requests so if your familiar with coding you'll be all set in no time, I just don't recall off hand where I put all my coding files.... (updated PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
Can someone shoot me a PM with the location of the tire pressure and temp option? I have the coding software, cable, and have coded other options. Just need to know the location please. Thanks!

Brian