BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #67
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
My favorite is a Gillette Super Speed from the early 50's. It's a butterfly-type razor which I like because you can change the blades without having to take the razor apart. I also like the Merkur Classic which was the most basic Merkur on Amazon at the time:
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic...eywords=Merkur

[/URL]
How often do you change the blade? I couldn't find a listing for blade replacements.. :/

I'm using this whenever I have the extra time to shave (since it take a while)
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Dispo...traight-razors

I also use this;
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Small...traight-razors

And this:
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Engra...having-brushes

Couldn't find a link to my cream though

I've been thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Black...traight-razors

But heard that those can really cut your throat if you fuck up…. Main reason being the blade isn't disposable, and I've heard it gives a closer and quicker (main reason) shave.
Any one have experience with these type of Straight razors?

My only issue with my current razor is it takes more time than I have at times, so I'm forced to use a Gillette (or similar) multi blade razor.

Last edited by persian54; 01-15-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #68
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
But heard that those can really cut your throat if you fuck up….
Yeah... if thats the case not the product for me. I fuck up all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #69
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Both of those razors use standard double-sided blades, my favorite being the Merkur platinum-coated blades (about $20 for 3 packs on Amazon) but any drug store should have something that will fit them. I just change the blade once it starts to be uncomfortable to shave with. Usually once a week but sometimes I am rocking the Sawyer look for a few days and can get almost 3 weeks out of a blade.

Ah, so you're a straight razor man! They're few and far between these days. After I learned to wet shave and use a safety I picked up a few straights. One is an extremely cheap one with aluminum scales and replaceable blade that I bought to try out a cutthroat. Once I got good with that one I ordered two Fromms and had them sharpened. A few thoughts:

1. There's definitely a huge difference in the shave, mainly because the blade can be honed to a much finer edge. that said, most of the non-disposable straights will come sharp but nowhere near shave ready. I had mine sharpened by a friend whose hobby is, no shit, blacksmithing; he has this thing that clamps onto the table and puts an edge on a blade like you wouldn't believe. Paying to have one sharpened I have heard costs anywhere from $20 to $60.

2. It helps to have multiple straights in case you don't have time to strop one in the morning. Some people take this to the extreme and buy sets of six or seven for each weekday and then strop them all on Sunday. That costs lots and lots of money though.

3. Throat-cutting can be a problem but not much more over the disposable ones. The edge can be honed way sharper so the slightest side to side movement with any pressure and you've got a nice 1/2-inch cut on your neck. If you have mastered the disposable then you can almost certainly use the regular ones with a minimal learning curve. Keep a consistent angle and lubricate properly with cream.

4. It is totally awesome to be able to strop the blade. A problem with the safeties is that your blade deteriorates like a cartridge razor's and there's not much you can do about it.

5. The benefits of a quality straight razor are a much closer shave, the enjoyment of it and impressing the hell out of people who use your bathroom. All of this considered, I still haven't really done anything but mess around with straight razors. Having to strop one isn't a big deal but I have to pay very close attention and due to living so far from work and procrastinating I usually don't have the time in the morning to shave that way. A safety takes no time at all.

There is another option too if you can manage to find one. Behold, the Valet AutoStrop:

This is a neat little razor that offers the quickness of a safety razor but also can be stropped. You lift up the blade so that it points up and feed the strop underneath it, then you can move the blade up and down on the strop flipping it over as necessary. It maintains a consistent strop angle for you and keeps the blades sharp for longer. It also shaves just about as close as a straight razor will but blades for them are hard to come by. Mine is basically a collector's piece. And that "rustless finish" writing on the blade is a load of baloney

Last edited by PINeely; 01-15-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #70
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

A straight razor like the one you mentioned @persian54 can cut you, though part of that is learning to properly use one before just jumping in. Having a single straight razor also sucks because you will have to strop it fairly regularly, though this depends somewhat on your hair. I personally have 3, so that when I want to shave in the morning, I can, I don't have to strop a damn thing, and I can just lather up and shave. I can then strop all of my razors at once and whenever I want instead of being forced to take the time during my shave routine.

If you have an art of shaving store near you, you can go in and ask them essentially for a tutorial on how they would recommend that you start with a straight razor. The fact that you are using the disposable one that they sell means you at least have most of the motions correct, but you will have to be a little more careful with the true straight blade.

You can also grab a DE safety razor for when you don't feel like you have the time for a shave with the straight razor and for travel. I have the Merkur futur for the quick shaves and for travel since the TSA doesn't really like me taking on a straight razor. They aren't as quick as you will get out of a disposable like you are using now, but you will get a better shave.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #71
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
Basically everything he said. It's always nice to find somebody else who uses a straight razor. I have been able to convert a few of my friends over the years and they are very thankful they have.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #72
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkzilla View Post
Go get laser. Never have to worry about razor bumps again.
I got my neck lasered and it was and still is great.
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #73
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

I never get bumps.

I shave every other day, in the shower, with no shaving cream...

Gillette Fusion ProGlide...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #74
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

I'm usually a skeptic about mail order products that claim to have a better idea, but I have to say that Harry's is probably the best of the 5 blade systems I've ever used. Reasonably priced refills too. Their shave cream is very good for the $$ as well, though I think Jack Black is better (suspiciously like Noxema if anyone is old enough to remember what that is).

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #75
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
I never get bumps.

I shave every other day, in the shower, with no shaving cream...

Gillette Fusion ProGlide...
Are we still talking about face here?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #76
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Ordered a Pace 3 off Amazon to see how it compares to my Mach 3. Seems the Pace 4 and 6 may tend to clog up, too. $13 for a handle and 10 cartridges...I won't feel too bad if I'm not entirely happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #77
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both of those razors use standard double-sided blades, my favorite being the Merkur platinum-coated blades (about $20 for 3 packs on Amazon) but any drug store should have something that will fit them. I just change the blade once it starts to be uncomfortable to shave with. Usually once a week but sometimes I am rocking the Sawyer look for a few days and can get almost 3 weeks out of a blade.

Great info man!

My girlfriend got me all of this for my birthday last year. At first…. I cut myself a LOT, and not small cuts one gets from a "normal" razor…. these were long (easy half inch) ones that stung like a bitch.

Over time, I've gotten much better. But I am no where near as good as my barber… his shaves can last me twice as long as my own, but then again he spends a good hour doing it.

I'm going to try out a DE one, especially for when I travel. Any you specific one (with link) you recommend that isn't an ancient artifact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
You can also grab a DE safety razor for when you don't feel like you have the time for a shave with the straight razor and for travel. I have the Merkur futur for the quick shaves and for travel since the TSA doesn't really like me taking on a straight razor. They aren't as quick as you will get out of a disposable like you are using now, but you will get a better shave.
Any specific DE (with link) ones you recommend ? (with blade replacements)

TSA hates me.. .Persian, with a goatee, born in Tehran, Iran on Passport… traveled to Iran and Middle East multiple times… I usually have my girlfriend take most of my stuff whenever we travel lol

I do have an Art of Shaving near by, 2 of them IIRC. one is 10 mins away

I've been there a couple times. Helpful crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
The thing is I sometimes like to have a "ruff" look, and even have a full beard… laser means no more choice :/

Last edited by persian54; 01-18-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #78
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
I thought about it as well. I have a very thick beard and when i shave with blades it becomes a mess. But i said to hell with all blades, and since then i have been using dry shavers. I have to use it everyday in morning though since my beard grows FAST! Also sometimes i want a nice stubble so no laser for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #79
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:

Any specific DE (with link) ones you recommend ? (with blade replacements)

TSA hates me.. .Persian, with a goatee, born in Tehran, Iran on Passport… traveled to Iran and Middle East multiple times… I usually have my girlfriend take most of my stuff whenever we travel lol

I do have an Art of Shaving near by, 2 of them IIRC. one is 10 mins away

I've been there a couple times. Helpful crew.

I use the Merkur Futur when I travel: http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Futur-S.../dp/B000JPKLUU

The DE blades that you use actually depend on how you shave and how your face reacts to them, so I always recommend to try several brands first and see what you like the best. I can't remember where I found a variety pack when I got all the groomsmen at a recent wedding them as gifts.

Sucks to be "randomly selected" I'm sure. Thankfully as a middle aged white male who travels almost constantly I hardly get looked at as I go through security. I have a brown buddy who tells me his stories though, some of them are just ridiculous.

Let me know if you have any more questions on the DE stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #80
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

+1 on testing blades, OP, you can get sampler packs from amazon with anywhere from three to fifteen different kinds of blades. Try to find one with Merkur platinum-coated blades as those are my favorites.

I would get a basic Merkur to start with. I like the Merkur Classic. Some guys prefer a little more hand presence and get either a long handle or "heavy" version with a thick handle. I like the standard handle because for me it is faster. I would definitely recommend not going with a travel size because it won't make any real difference in your luggage space but will be just small enough that you can't hold onto the damn thing.

A lot of Merkur razors come with their platinum-coated blades to try as well, and they're about the same price of the other razor offerings but superior in a lot of ways.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #81
SumoJax
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e93

I used the mach3 razor with gel shaving cream for year and always got ingrown hairs on my neck and around my jaw line.

I just picked up a DE razor kit last week and I must admit that although shaving is now more of a ritual I have never had a smoother shave and my skin is much smoother and I have had no issues with ingrown hairs.

I picked up a Merkur set with a sample pack of blades, Taylor shaving soap and creams.

It took a little practice but after a few days it becomes a snap.

I used this youtube video as a guide.

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IuA8HGacJw[/u2b]

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 05:03 AM   #82
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
I use the Merkur Futur when I travel: http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Futur-S.../dp/B000JPKLUU

The DE blades that you use actually depend on how you shave and how your face reacts to them, so I always recommend to try several brands first and see what you like the best. I can't remember where I found a variety pack when I got all the groomsmen at a recent wedding them as gifts.

Sucks to be "randomly selected" I'm sure. Thankfully as a middle aged white male who travels almost constantly I hardly get looked at as I go through security. I have a brown buddy who tells me his stories though, some of them are just ridiculous.

Let me know if you have any more questions on the DE stuff.
One of my stories is getting "randomly" checked 26 times when I was flying to NY a little bit after 9/11…..

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
+1 on testing blades, OP, you can get sampler packs from amazon with anywhere from three to fifteen different kinds of blades. Try to find one with Merkur platinum-coated blades as those are my favorites.

I would get a basic Merkur to start with. I like the Merkur Classic. Some guys prefer a little more hand presence and get either a long handle or "heavy" version with a thick handle. I like the standard handle because for me it is faster. I would definitely recommend not going with a travel size because it won't make any real difference in your luggage space but will be just small enough that you can't hold onto the damn thing.

A lot of Merkur razors come with their platinum-coated blades to try as well, and they're about the same price of the other razor offerings but superior in a lot of ways.

I'm going to stop by my local Art of Shaving store and see what blade options they have. I've heard they let you test stuff out before buying it, so that would be awesome.

Definitely no need for a travel size of anything except some liquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoJax View Post
I used the mach3 razor with gel shaving cream for year and always got ingrown hairs on my neck and around my jaw line.

I just picked up a DE razor kit last week and I must admit that although shaving is now more of a ritual I have never had a smoother shave and my skin is much smoother and I have had no issues with ingrown hairs.

I picked up a Merkur set with a sample pack of blades, Taylor shaving soap and creams.

It took a little practice but after a few days it becomes a snap.

I used this youtube video as a guide.

[u2b]v=2IuA8HGacJw[/u2b]
Fixed your video for you.
Most of that was pretty basic, except he does 3 rounds. I usually only do 2 with mine Gillet (straight razor varies, depends highly on if i haven't shaven in a day or 3).
he also uses more shaving cream than me, but I believe that's partly just preference.

Shaving is definitely an art.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #83
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Just picked up a DE razor from Art of Shaving and some blades.

Let's see what this is all about tomorrow :P
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #84
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just picked up a DE razor from Art of Shaving and some blades.

Let's see what this is all about tomorrow :P
Very cool, good luck! I wish that we had an Art of Shaving around here. We do have a gentlemen's clothing store that keeps some stuff, mostly Taylor and Truefitt creams but of course they are marked way up. I'm an Amazon shaver
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #85
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very cool, good luck! I wish that we had an Art of Shaving around here. We do have a gentlemen's clothing store that keeps some stuff, mostly Taylor and Truefitt creams but of course they are marked way up. I'm an Amazon shaver
It wasn't too cheap, but not too bad

came out to $65 with tax with a box of blades
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #86
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
I just started wet shaving with the whole DE safety razor regimen for the past two weeks.

I'm absolutely loving it. A damn close shave without any irritation, in-grown hairs, red spots, etc.

Currently using a Muhle R89/Gilette blade with a basic Art of Shaving kit (pre-shave oil, shaving cream, after shave). I just bought some sample blades as well to try to find the best one that I'll stick to.

One thing I'll add to this thread that I found out recently after extensive research: the art of shaving are way overpriced for some of their products and definitely not worth shopping. There are tons of products (especially pre-shave/after shave products) that are of much higher quality at much more reasonable prices. Luckily I only bought a sample kit and the razor was reasonably priced so I didn't put much money down initially.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #87
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

That's very true about the Art of Shaving being overpriced for things. I normally only recommend that people go there to get some advice, since the majority of people that are there have a decent knowledge of shaving products. I will generally shop elsewhere for everything because, as you said @danniexi, you can find better products for less money.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #88
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
I just started wet shaving with the whole DE safety razor regimen for the past two weeks.

I'm absolutely loving it. A damn close shave without any irritation, in-grown hairs, red spots, etc.

Currently using a Muhle R89/Gilette blade with a basic Art of Shaving kit (pre-shave oil, shaving cream, after shave). I just bought some sample blades as well to try to find the best one that I'll stick to.

One thing I'll add to this thread that I found out recently after extensive research: the art of shaving are way overpriced for some of their products and definitely not worth shopping. There are tons of products (especially pre-shave/after shave products) that are of much higher quality at much more reasonable prices. Luckily I only bought a sample kit and the razor was reasonably priced so I didn't put much money down initially.

My DE razor was $45.

To have it right then and not have to wait for delivery was worth it to me. I think I saw a similar one for ~$35 on Amazon. $10 was worth having it immediately versus a delay

but yeah, their other stuff isn't really worth it. that stuff my gf got me last year for my birthday and it's still lasted me. though it was a pretty big amount lol. no idea how much she paid...
Appreciate 0