BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-24-2023, 10:38 AM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

How to tell if you have a great vehicle!

My wife and I were planning to drive her 2018 Acura RDX from Denver to Seattle and return to see my father and sister for Christmas this year.

Because, why not? We like to road trip to reconnect with each other sometimes, and we had a bunch of presents for my father, sister, stepsister and her husband, etc (some of which included some heavy hitting bottles of wine we'd gotten for them over the year that couldn't be shipped).

Her RDX was prepped, cleaned, washed, partly packed, mechanically gone over, had new new tires (for mountain passes), oil changed, etc..... and the damn sunroof jams open..... LITERALLY the night before we're supposed to leave. She hit the "pop open the sunroof" button instead of the overhead light by accident and it broke.

WTF, over? I tried *everything* I could think of to get it closed, but it's jammed in the open position and isn't going to move without the entire headliner and assembly being taken apart-- something I had no time to even consider starting.

So, it's 10 hours before we leave, we still have to open our presents to each other, Facetime with friends, finish packing, there's rain and snow forecast, and my wife's having a bit of a Christmas meltdown.

What do you do? It's 1500 miles each way over multiple mountain passes with ice and rain expected.

My 5-speed beater/daily 18.5 year old 2005 Honda Element that hasn't been inside of a garage for fifteen years to the rescue!

No prep, no checkup, no mechanical work, nothing..... I just gave it a quick wipe down and clean up inside to make the wife happy (she does NOT love the Element and it was pretty dusty with a bunch of stuff inside), moved our bags and packages over from the RDX, pulled off the bike rack and we were on the road by 0630. Luckily, I'd put new tires on it last month since I was down to the wear bars-- but the Old Girl rose to the occasion. 155k on the clock and she just hummed her way to Seattle, no muss, no fuss, and didn't burn a drop of oil.

The result is that we're in (near) Seattle and my wife isn't allowed to bad-mouth the Element anymore since it saved her arse and Christmas plans. It's *beyond* basic..... it barely has power windows. No heated seats, the CD player doesn't work, it's a MT, you have to argue with the radio buttons, there are a bunch of hail dents on the hood and side, the driver's seat is worn out, the door seals are ripped, the foot heater on the passenger side doesn't work, it's terrifyingly loud above 65 and you pretty much need a gravity assist to consistently keep it moving above about 84 mph.....

But damn, does Honda build a reliable and dependable car!

How many beater, outside-living, (almost) 20 year old cars can you just jump in with absolutely no prep and roll 3000 miles?

I **LOVE** My Element!

RDX stuffed into our garage next to the M2C. Her Miata parked in the neighbor's garage. Marriage saved. Christmas plans salvaged. Wine delivered. Wife (more or less) happy.... although she *did* say she was used to "a little more" luxury-- she *really* missed her heated seats. She's going to fly home on New Year's Day (as per the original plan) and I'll drive the Element home the following week.

She's going to deal with taking the RDX to the dealer to get the sunroof fixed while I'm gone. Having an open sunroof in Colorado in the winter isn't a great plan.

Merry Christmas to all.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 12-24-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 22
SW111282.00
Lady Jane70861.50
3798j11413.50
hubbahubba8816.50
Buug95917409.50
sygazelle11416.00
Llarry15968.00
vreihen1615278.50
M_Six16963.50
Artemis29417.50
///MPhatic13862.50
chassis6552.50
jesm207.50
3.0L8937.00
Rocket455484.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
KRS_SN13537.00
wrickem2101.00
      12-24-2023, 11:18 AM   #2
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Good story...I know that feeling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
kscarrol8910.50
chassis6552.50
jesm207.50
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
Joralemon st.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i M Sport

Look on the bright side — this didn't happen at one of the mountain passes — doubt heated seats would've salvaged anything

Happy holidays!
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Honestly any 6 cylinder BMW is pretty reliable, even the turbo models except for the N54.

I’ve owned Hondas they were decent but felt like tin cans and the rotors would warp so easily (undersized) and the body would rust
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615278.50
flybigjet6822.00
Don T3.00
      12-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #5
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
My wife and I were planning to drive her 2018 Acura RDX from Denver to Seattle and return to see my father and sister for Christmas this year.

Because, why not? We like to road trip to reconnect with each other sometimes, and we had a bunch of presents for my father, sister, stepsister and her husband, etc (some of which included some heavy hitting bottles of wine we'd gotten for them over the year that couldn't be shipped).

Her RDX was prepped, cleaned, washed, partly packed, mechanically gone over, had new new tires (for mountain passes), oil changed, etc..... and the damn sunroof jams open..... LITERALLY the night before we're supposed to leave. She hit the "pop open the sunroof" button instead of the overhead light by accident and it broke.

WTF, over? I tried *everything* I could think of to get it closed, but it's jammed in the open position and isn't going to move without the entire headliner and assembly being taken apart-- something I had no time to even consider starting.

So, it's 10 hours before we leave, we still have to open our presents to each other, Facetime with friends, finish packing, there's rain and snow forecast, and my wife's having a bit of a Christmas meltdown.

What do you do? It's 1500 miles each way over multiple mountain passes with ice and rain expected.

My 5-speed beater/daily 18.5 year old 2005 Honda Element that hasn't been inside of a garage for fifteen years to the rescue!

No prep, no checkup, no mechanical work, nothing..... I just gave it a quick wipe down and clean up inside to make the wife happy (she does NOT love the Element and it was pretty dusty with a bunch of stuff inside), moved our bags and packages over from the RDX, pulled off the bike rack and we were on the road by 0630. Luckily, I'd put new tires on it last month since I was down to the wear bars-- but the Old Girl rose to the occasion. 155k on the clock and she just hummed her way to Seattle, no muss, no fuss, and didn't burn a drop of oil.

The result is that we're in (near) Seattle and my wife isn't allowed to bad-mouth the Element anymore since it saved her arse and Christmas plans. It's *beyond* basic..... it barely has power windows. No heated seats, the CD player doesn't work, it's a MT, you have to argue with the radio buttons, there are a bunch of hail dents on the hood and side, the driver's seat is worn out, the door seals are ripped, the foot heater on the passenger side doesn't work, it's terrifyingly loud above 65 and you pretty much need a gravity assist to consistently keep it moving above about 84 mph.....

How many beater, outside-living, (almost) 20 year old cars can you just jump in with absolutely no prep and roll 3000 miles?

I **LOVE** My Element!

RDX stuffed into our garage next to the M2C. Her Miata parked in the neighbor's garage. Marriage saved. Christmas plans salvaged. Wine delivered. Wife (more or less) happy.... although she *did* say she was used to "a little more" luxury-- she *really* missed her heated seats. She's going to fly home on New Year's Day (as per the original plan) and I'll drive the Element home the following week.

She's going to deal with taking the RDX to the dealer to get the sunroof fixed while I'm gone. Having an open sunroof in Colorado in the winter isn't a great plan.

Merry Christmas to all.

R.

Great story. Merry Christmas. Safe travels!
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

My e91 330d is 2 years younger and a bit higher mileage, but I'd also jump in that at a moment's notice and drive however far. It doesn't have heated seats, but the cd player works, the heating works, the AC works, the door seals aren't ripped, it's comfortable cruising at 100mph (when laws allow)... I love my e91!

Honestly, if you need to work on a car (outside of routine maintenance) before taking a long journey its reliability must be pretty pathetic. Acceptable for a track/vintage car etc, not acceptable for a modern daily.

But I agree - honda make reliable stuff!
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
...How many beater, outside-living, (almost) 20 year old cars can you just jump in with absolutely no prep and roll 3000 miles?...and I'll drive the Element home the following week...
You're not home yet!!!!

Appreciate 4
vreihen1615278.50
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 04:27 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Maybe, but didn't Honda also make the grinch of this story... the RDX?
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615278.50
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I was taking Wifey's 2006 Honda Civic through the local gas station car wash a couple of weeks ago. I lowered the driver's side window to punch in the car wash code. The light turns green and the Drive Forward sign lights up. I go to raise the window and...nothing. Window would not come up. Car wash is paid for and waiting for me to drive in. Cars in line behind me. WTF to do?

I shut the car off and restarted it and bingo, the window worked fine.

When I was in IT support I always told people there are two steps to take if something doesn't work.

Step 1: Reboot!!
Step 2: Call me

Rebooting worked again.

Aside from that weird glitch, her 18 year old Honda is also running fine. My 2016 MB GLC300 has had far more issues than her Civic.

Glad you made your trip work. Merry Christmas indeed.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615278.50
flybigjet6822.00
KRS_SN13537.00
      12-24-2023, 05:54 PM   #10
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Glad you found a way and can now have a Merry Christmas with family.

There are videos on YT about sunroof fixes. May be an easy one, if you’re lucky.

My 2006 750Li would make the trip. With the dog we’d take the RAM, but both are nice rides for long trips.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 06:47 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Great story! ...but if this could hurt your marriage when it's nobody's fault really, then I dunno what to say

Merry Xmas!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      12-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I'm a Honda fan from way back, and I adore my daily '15 RDX. It has 142K on the clock and drives as if it were new (this pic taken just last year).

Merry Christmas!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Llarry15968.00
flybigjet6822.00
      12-25-2023, 01:41 PM   #13
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

I **LOVE** My Element!

Merry Christmas to all.

R.
Great story.

I seem to recall reading a similar problem experienced by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin while they were sitting on the moon, getting ready to launch. Sometime during the time they were struggling to get in or out of their space suits after the lunar walk, someone bumped or kicked the launch switch, breaking off the handle. They successfully launched by pushing the switch stump with a ballpoint pen.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      12-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #14
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Got the warm-n-fuzzies reading that, OP, cheers! We have some vehicles in our fleet right now that I can't justify getting rid of due to that dependability/work horse factor; a '00 Crown Vic (P71) with 240k on the odo and 20 years of ownership, an '01 Tacoma (112k, 15 years) and a '99 Accord (305k on chassis, 50k new motor, 19 yrs with us). These cars are so cheap to insure and maintain and have been so reliable that they've spoiled us!
      12-26-2023, 04:38 PM   #15
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Safe rest of your travels R!
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00