BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Switching key fob off

Does anyone know if this is possible by a sequence of button presses, as opposed to removing the battery; apparently a double click on the lock button works on Merc keys.
I'm getting a bit concerned about thieves increasingly using remote key reading electronics.
Apparently keeping the key in the fridge works when you're at home (makes sense) and I know you can get signal blocking pouches but that detracts a bit from the convenience of keyless entry, as it's something else to cram into your pocket.
So much easier if the key could be switched off.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible by a sequence of button presses, as opposed to removing the battery; apparently a double click on the lock button works on Merc keys.
I'm getting a bit concerned about thieves increasingly using remote key reading electronics.
Apparently keeping the key in the fridge works when you're at home (makes sense) and I know you can get signal blocking pouches but that detracts a bit from the convenience of keyless entry, as it's something else to cram into your pocket.
So much easier if the key could be switched off.

Buy one these, they work a treat, if you have comfort access place the key in the pouch and try opening the door, the signal is blocked.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vi-GO-Block...+blocker&psc=1
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      01-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

you best bet are two solutions:

1. store keys in a box/bag that blocks the radio waves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

2. put a club on your car, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Club-1000-Ori.../dp/B0000CBILL
      01-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Buy one these, they work a treat, if you have comfort access place the key in the pouch and try opening the door, the signal is blocked.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vi-GO-Block...+blocker&psc=1
Thanks but, as per my original question, I was hoping to avoid carrying extra bulk and at 20x10cm, the bag looks a bit big to stuff into a jeans pocket.
Just wish BMW made it as easy as Merc to switch off the key.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Thanks but, as per my original question, I was hoping to avoid carrying extra bulk and at 20x10cm, the bag looks a bit big to stuff into a jeans pocket.
Just wish BMW made it as easy as Merc to switch off the key.

You mean your worried that your car will get nicked after you have parked up where someone clones your key whilst your away, I'd bet you a few quid this will probably not happen in your lifetime or mine, its more likely a thief would try a carjack instead, I would nt worry about it in your scenario.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      01-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You mean your worried that your car will get nicked after you have parked up where someone clones your key whilst your away, I'd bet you a few quid this will probably not happen in your lifetime or mine, its more likely a thief would try a carjack instead, I would nt worry about it in your scenario.
You only have to do a brief scan of the current press releases about how increasingly often cars are being stolen in this manner and the consensus appears to indicate that insurance companies aren't paying out because when they remotely hack your key, it appears as if you've either left the car unlocked or opened it with your own key. When the thieves pick up the signal from your own key, which you thought to be safe inside your house, what they do is to exactly replicate your key - tough that one out with your insurance company...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I agree, this is a very unlikely scenario. If you watch the security footage of how the thieves actually scan for the key, they need to be VERY close to the key's proximity to begin with, and with a reasonable assumption of the direction to point the amplifier.

Secondly, it's a two man job with one guy at the car and the other guy holding a large wimbledon trophy sized amplifier. It's going to look very suspicious, especially the guy with the amplifier going through a trial and error process moving and pointing that amplifier around. Then, once the door is open, they need to sit there with a laptop and recode the usb device and plug it into the OBD port.

So put it this way, is your car even physically close to you at your office? If you can't even throw a ball and hit it, they're and your remote is out of range, let alone if you work in a large office building, it's near impossible to pinpoint a specific key with an amplifier.

OP actually might be thinking about the signal intercept concept. I heard about it, but to my understanding, I believe it comes down to the coding/decoding concept. I haven't heard or seen it actually work on a BMW. Maybe on a 1991 Toyota Camery sure, I can see it working. Further, you can simply verify if the doors are locked by your chirping sound of the alarm being armed. And lastly even if he unlocks your car through this method, how does he even start your car? BMW's at least the M cars don't have remote starts...and comfort access cars require the actual key to be inside the car.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-02-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

No obd port business required these tools amplify the signal hugely way more than the makers intended have a nose around youtube (such as this on a Merc but the method is the same manufacturer really is little in safety unless the keyless system is off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMhCWaGw-o) although the same guy has shown it on an F10 as well
)

A few BMW's have gone this way in the UK. Signal blocking bags work but are clumbersome and there is no way to turn CA off. Honestly, whilst clumbersome use the bag. In theory even without CA once access is gained the same method of starting would work on any car as well.

In the UK at least replicating the signal and breaking into the home are the current popular theft methods - in the last method case they dont even bother with hanoi (two in one - steal from the house and then steal the car to getaway) style burglary now.

The first theft via keyless hacking (that I am aware of in the UK) which was in Ireland, this was crude at best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti79UhY0TGc

Since then though this was one of the most quickly executed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38qQsuEYOs

Also, look out for anyone just generally nosing around there has been a spate of steering wheel thefts in the previous year or so mostly on BMW's in Europe, it does seem this trend has popped up in the UK on occasion, but less frequently. Sweden got hit massively (one forum user being hit for their own X5 steering wheel and airbag and subsequently the following evening the 1 series courtesy car they had!), the biggest difference being in Sweden there is no alarm system on BMW's (and now why they fit additional security stickers from factory).

This one for Ilford on an X5 and 640, although I suspect from the video the car was not locked on the 6 as at no point did the mirrors unfold or the indicators flash.

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news...heft-1-4941118

Last edited by NINJA59; 01-03-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
you best bet are two solutions:

1. store keys in a box/bag that blocks the radio waves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

2. put a club on your car, such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Club-1000-Ori.../dp/B0000CBILL
Club is useless cut the steering wheel slide it off. Job done. Disklok with subtle changes is the best still in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Do some Google searches on how to turn comfort access of and there is a great post about statistics of this type of crime. I think it was an mx5 forum I was reading. It had X5's as the most stolen vehicle in the UK, but the guy posting about the stats made a great case for the number related to comfort access likely to be only a small percentage.

In my view, a 6 series will be stolen to order. The method in the UK is more focused on car jacking or breaking into your house to get the keys. In my view if they can steel my car with if parked on the drive without harming my family or invading our home then they can have it.

Other query on the insurance side of things, if your in possession of both keys then they've obviously bypassed the security of the car. If insurance companies declined to payout then surely you would have a case for recovery from the manufacturer.

Personally I'm not worried, I'm more bothered by having an issue with the comfort access not working correctly which may become a costly repair. I've got far too used to the feature and it's a pain in the rear when it doesn't work as intended.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
Do some Google searches on how to turn comfort access of and there is a great post about statistics of this type of crime. I think it was an mx5 forum I was reading. It had X5's as the most stolen vehicle in the UK, but the guy posting about the stats made a great case for the number related to comfort access likely to be only a small percentage.

In my view, a 6 series will be stolen to order. The method in the UK is more focused on car jacking or breaking into your house to get the keys. In my view if they can steel my car with if parked on the drive without harming my family or invading our home then they can have it.

Other query on the insurance side of things, if your in possession of both keys then they've obviously bypassed the security of the car. If insurance companies declined to payout then surely you would have a case for recovery from the manufacturer

Personally I'm not worried, I'm more bothered by having an issue with the comfort access not working correctly which may become a costly repair. I've got far too used to the feature and it's a pain in the rear when it doesn't work as intended.
Agreed !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

seems like the best solution is to build a boarder wall around UK where limited people and goods go in and out of the country without getting thoroughly checked. That's what my leader would propose.
      01-05-2018, 01:21 AM   #13
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It is not just the uk though most of it is Eastern Europe really....
Appreciate 0