BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #1
neilparmar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

ODB Port protection, do we need it?

Hi All

I'm receiving allot of emails re how we should be protecting our ODB ports from potential car theft. Do we need to be worried about this? BMW dealesship cant really give me a straight answer either.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #2
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

I was once a victim of a car theft. Honestly, i do not think that there is a way to protects yourself and the car effectively. If someone would like to steal your car he'll do it no matter what expensive protection you are using.
I am not speaking against the above mentioned product, just expressing my opinion. Cars get stolen regularly. Man, i was left with my register plates only. The police just shook their heads and that was it. 5 years later there is no sign of my car. Maybe it is already re-sold to someone in another country or it was disassembled and each part was sold so that someone would drive happily his/her car.
Alarms, special keys, codes - nothing helps. Nowadays you may get your money stolen from your account in a matter of seconds after you opened one. Thieves always had their ways and gadgets.
Sorry if i sounded too negative
      07-15-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

sorry for your loss.

are you able to share the year and model of your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleniki View Post
I was once a victim of a car theft. Honestly, i do not think that there is a way to protects yourself and the car effectively. If someone would like to steal your car he'll do it no matter what expensive protection you are using.
I am not speaking against the above mentioned product, just expressing my opinion. Cars get stolen regularly. Man, i was left with my register plates only. The police just shook their heads and that was it. 5 years later there is no sign of my car. Maybe it is already re-sold to someone in another country or it was disassembled and each part was sold so that someone would drive happily his/her car.
Alarms, special keys, codes - nothing helps. Nowadays you may get your money stolen from your account in a matter of seconds after you opened one. Thieves always had their ways and gadgets.
Sorry if i sounded too negative