BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Racechip Ultimate?

Does anyone have this, and is there any real world/dyno proof to back up their claim of 22%/23% hp and torque increases? Searched the forums, but don't see anyone having this.

https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptun...pe/650i-330kw/
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

In case anyone debates a piggyback in the future, here's my review.

I finally got a chance to install the Racechip on the 2014 650i Gran Coupe and so far I am VERY happy with it. I used to have a JB4 Stage 2 Beta on the N63 550i before and this is how I would compare them:

Presentation:

The packaging, instructions and quality of the piggyback unit itself are definitely much better on the Racechip. I feel like I'm getting a quality hardware product with the tune itself. Again, there was nothing wrong with the JB4, this just feels like a better built product. A lot of people probably don't care about this since it's always hidden in the engine bay, but I think it deserves a mention.

Installation:

Having installed a JB4 before, this was pretty straightforward. Took me less than 15 minutes as I didn't have to route the OBD2 connector to the OBD2 plug.

Performance:

I've only driven the car for 20 minutes, but the instantaneous throttle response and torque thrust are immediately noticeable. The default setting was on B, but I changed it to C before installing the the tune. The car just wants to pull like a freight train and gets up to 60 in no time. Of course it's hard to compare the tunes to each other since the N63TU has more power right off the bat, but the Stage 2 Beta was supposedly making 500 whp and the TU (butt dyno again) feels like it pulls stronger. I am not planning to add any hardware mods, which is why opted against the JB4.

Customer Support:

Ben @ RG Sport has been very helpful from explaining the product to placing the order and after purchase support. I did not have any issues with BMS, however I do feel like my questions were addressed much quicker with Ben.

Overall I am quite impressed with the product as I didn't expect this sort of (butt dyno) performance from it. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't have high expectations. Again, this is compared to the N63. I don't know how it compares to the JB on the N63TU.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Dogmatic6
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M Competition

Thanks for the review! I've been looking at one of these for my 640D but hadn't seen anyone with one installed.

Sounds like a good piece of kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic6 View Post
Thanks for the review! I've been looking at one of these for my 640D but hadn't seen anyone with one installed.

Sounds like a good piece of kit.
I would recommend the Superchips EPC.

Over on the F3X side of the forum we recently had a rolling road day, take a look at the results.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?t=1384162&
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Dogmatic6
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I would recommend the Superchips EPC.

Over on the F3X side of the forum we recently had a rolling road day, take a look at the results.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?t=1384162&
Thanks I've just read that thread and the Superchips EPC looks good!
I guess the only issue is that you do not get an engine warranty with it whereas the racechip ultimate includes a two year warranty.

It's good to see some real world evidence on the superchips one though
Appreciate 0