BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #67
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
No, and that was a sore point which tarnished the experience the day I collected it! It's the latest 2014 spec and there were 1,3 and 5 series around it that had this technology so to not be present on BMW's most expensive car is a kick in the teeth from BMW.

Needing to wait for LCI isn't an excuse - the 1 series has just had it added to the spec and that's not an LCI model.

I've got over the disappointment now as the actual system fitted is very good (and I believe the same as iDrive touch in everything but the 'touch' bit), but the fact it's not the latest system will always niggle somewhat just on principle!
Thanks for your ultra-quick reply!

This is likewise a bothersome/irksome point for me! My own 2014 Moonstone/Amaro Brown M6 GC with Comp Package is due to arrive stateside in approx 1.5 months. I was told earlier this year by someone at BMW NA that commencing with July 2013 production, ALL the F06/F10/F12/F13 cars would be fitted standard with the iDrive Touch Pad technology. I could've opted to have an earlier-build car, but wanted to ensure mine would indeed have iDrive touch. One unexpected/surprise benefit of waiting for a later-build is the fact that there hadn't even been any mention about the existence of a 'Competition Package' until sometime in May 2013 (with a detailed explanation of all it encompassed the following month).

Fast forward to today. I was informed by my very same contact at BMW NA that it's since been confirmed that iDrive Touch will NOT be offered on ANY of the Model Year 2014 6-series derivatives -- that's why I posed the question to you as to whether your very recent delivery car is equipped with it, in order to test the accuracy of the info I've just now received from BMW NA. Suffice to say, I'm majorly bummed by this whole debacle.

I started a thread on this very topic earlier today: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887444

According to the one respondent so far, iDrive Touch will be included with the LCI (as you disappointingly observed) either in late-2014 or early 2015. He also mentioned he's heard that beginning with July 2013 production, ALL the 6-series cars will have been fitted from new with ALL the necessary hardware to implement iDrive Touch, and it'll merely be a manner of getting the requisite software update to give/enable the iDrive Touch functionality for these cars, etc.

I guess time will tell....

Last edited by VintageFerrari; 09-10-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #68
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

The Euro M6 IS lowered by 10 mm according to the Price List.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #69
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFerrari View Post
Thanks for your ultra-quick reply!

This is likewise a bothersome/irksome point for me! My own 2014 Moonstone/Amaro Brown M6 GC with Comp Package is due to arrive stateside in approx 1.5 months. I was told earlier this year by someone at BMW NA that commencing with July 2013 production, ALL the F06/F10/F12/F13 cars would be fitted standard with the iDrive Touch Pad technology. I could've opted to have an earlier-build car, but wanted to ensure mine would indeed have iDrive touch. One unexpected/surprise benefit of waiting for a later-build is the fact that there hadn't even been any mention about the existence of a 'Competition Package' until sometime in May 2013 (with a detailed explanation of all it encompassed the following month).

Fast forward to today. I was informed by my very same contact at BMW NA that it's since been confirmed that iDrive Touch will NOT be offered on ANY of the Model Year 2014 6-series derivatives -- that's why I posed the question to you as to whether your very recent delivery car is equipped with it, in order to test the accuracy of the info I've just now received from BMW NA. Suffice to say, I'm majorly bummed by this whole debacle.

I started a thread on this very topic earlier today: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887444

According to the one respondent so far, iDrive Touch will be included with the LCI (as you disappointingly observed) either in late-2014 or early 2015. He also mentioned he's heard that beginning with July 2013 production, ALL the 6-series cars will have been fitted from new with ALL the necessary hardware to implement iDrive Touch, and it'll merely be a manner of getting the requisite software update to give/enable the iDrive Touch functionality for these cars, etc.

I guess time will tell....
Very interesting. Seems very hard to get any info on BMW's cars. My dealer had very little knowledge about the M6 or the competition package. They were telling me the CF roof was part of the Comp package! BMW's website still doesn't list it as an option/package for the M6! Asking most dealers about iDrive Touch in the M6 will just get you stared at like you have two heads.

I understand part of the reasons manufacturers are so secretive is due to automotive espionage concerns, but even buyers of new cars can't much information on what systems their car has or what the upgrade capability is.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #70
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by late apex View Post
Asking most dealers about iDrive Touch in the M6 will just get you stared at like you have two heads.

....but even buyers of new cars can't much information on what systems their car has or what the upgrade capability is.
My source at BMW NA (i.e. the same person who told me months ago that as of July 2013 production, the 5 & 6 series cars would all have iDrive Touch), has subsequently amended that initial pronouncement by now telling me that the whilst the Model Year 2014 6-series car will not be fitted with iDrive Touch at all, from July 2013 onward they'll indeed be receiving the new iDrive 4.2 software updates (i.e. POI search via iSpeech, Android support for BMW Apps, ...).

FWIW, the same BMW NA source also told me that there's CURRENTLY no way to retrofit a Model Year 2014 6-series car with Touch Pad HARDWARE even if it has the July 2013-onward 4.2 iDrive software.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #71
aweso///Me
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 Convertible

anyone in the forum out there has some sound clips of the Competition Package Exhaust? pretty interested in the comparison between stock!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #72
jeknhyde
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 14 conv; RR KAHN 4.4, uber

Smile Ride Quality

Thanks for posting this Palmnuts. Really like the look and colours you chose.
I'm deciding between the CP and non CP M6 convertible and wondered if you could help some more.

You mention that the ride difference on the 20" cp & non cp was no less comfortable even though the steering feedback had been amplified.

Was that in all settings and road conditions?
Other reviewers (Car & Driver) were quite scathing on the ride quality:Even with all the electronics dialed back to their Comfort and Efficiency modes, the firm ride and sharp responses made the exercise akin to walking a grizzly on a leash

I would be using the car in C London and as a comparison like the ride of my old M6 07 on 19". I was quite impressed with the new M6 on 20" though I found the ride firmer than the Bentley GTC [obviously] and Maserati GC but better than a 911 4S. Do you think the CP can cope with the rotten roads in London well given what you have said?

Of course I know this is very subjective as everyone has a different view of what constitutes an acceptable ride quality. Perhaps the best way to analyse it would be to discuss compliance to the larger road bumps as well as response to the low frequency stuff on our roads that rattles your head and eyes as you do the daily crawl in C London over v uneven roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #73
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeknhyde View Post
Thanks for posting this Palmnuts. Really like the look and colours you chose.
I'm deciding between the CP and non CP M6 convertible and wondered if you could help some more.

You mention that the ride difference on the 20" cp & non cp was no less comfortable even though the steering feedback had been amplified.

Was that in all settings and road conditions?
Other reviewers (Car & Driver) were quite scathing on the ride quality:Even with all the electronics dialed back to their Comfort and Efficiency modes, the firm ride and sharp responses made the exercise akin to walking a grizzly on a leash

I would be using the car in C London and as a comparison like the ride of my old M6 07 on 19". I was quite impressed with the new M6 on 20" though I found the ride firmer than the Bentley GTC [obviously] and Maserati GC but better than a 911 4S. Do you think the CP can cope with the rotten roads in London well given what you have said?

Of course I know this is very subjective as everyone has a different view of what constitutes an acceptable ride quality. Perhaps the best way to analyse it would be to discuss compliance to the larger road bumps as well as response to the low frequency stuff on our roads that rattles your head and eyes as you do the daily crawl in C London over v uneven roads.
I honestly don't know what those journalists at Car and Driver are referring to with their fairly inaccurate reviews of these cars (unless the US versions are substantially different, which I think not). I can only assume they have another agenda because quite simply, the C&D reviews on M5/6's are appalling and you have to question this when you contrast it to Evo (the M6 won it's group test when compared to the Merc CLS AMG and Maserati Granturismo S) and even Chris Harris who (admittedly slightly begrudgingly) put the M6 ahead of the new SL63 AMG. So, Evo and Chris Harris' reviews or...Car and Driver? I know which I'd trust more, especially on our side of the pond!

However, regardless of what anyone else says, I can definitely confirm that I can detect no trade-off in ride quality versus my previous non-CP version. This is on a variety of UK roads - motorways, B-roads and broken urban roads, including London. A couple of points to note though - I also had a previous shape M6 and whilst the Competition Pack doesn't seem any firmer than a non-CP F13, the F13 in general does ride firmer than you'll be used to in your E63 M6. But it's a lot less floaty and so much better controlled - in fact, I'd go as far as to say that the improved body control and almost total eradication of roll that the CP delivers makes it feel more comfortable, despite the firmer set-up.

It's probably at it's least capable going through the bigger undulations you'll find on a typical B-road where the sheer weight of the car can result in considerable body movement, although the dampers still do a fine job of bringing that movement under control quickly.

I have also owned a Maserati Granturismo and 911 Turbo, and the M6 easily rides as well as all of those, if not substantially better (the Maserati had very poor high-speed body control and the Porsche was simply a lot 'harder' in comparison). I wouldn't expect the M6 to ride as well as the Bentley, but then the Bentley will never feel as agile or responsive. As an aside, I also think that in the UK the M6 has a better image and even more presence than the Bentley. Whilst it doesn't have the badge kudos, it's sufficiently different to a normal 6 series and über rare in the UK meaning it really does stand out.

Frankly though, this car would drive me nuts if I used it solely in London or similar environment, not because of the ride (although for me, that would start to grate if all I did was drive it in an urban environment) but because it's a car thats just too good for the confines of a city. But then you'll be used to this with your existing car so that won't apply. Living somewhat further north, I'm lucky to be able to drive mine on a variety of roads but even thats not enough sometimes, at least not in the UK...I've just returned from a weekend in Germany where I really could open it up to experience it's potential and it feels liberating, the car really in it's element.

Anyway, hope that helps and if it's worth anything, one thing I would concur with most journalists on is that the ceramic brakes are probably an even more worthwhile option (for similar money) than the Competition Pack. They're outrageously good, and their massively reduced unsprung weight only contributes to a better ride quality. This may be one of the reasons that my (carbon ceramic equipped) CP car doesn't feel much different to my previous non CP, but also non-ceramic equipped one.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #74
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep

This may be one of the reasons that my (carbon ceramic equipped) CP car doesn't feel much different to my previous non CP, but also non-ceramic equipped one.

I am just about to try a CP/CCB equiped M6 to see if I should upgrade, but as I already have an Akra and I want the Schnitzer spring kit which lowers the car 15mm at the front and 35mm at the rear it is going to be tough taking a hit and paying more for a new car that will come with an exhaust I dont want and only lowered 10mm front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #75
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc3153 View Post
This may be one of the reasons that my (carbon ceramic equipped) CP car doesn't feel much different to my previous non CP, but also non-ceramic equipped one.

Therefore, my new CP (stiffer than my previous non-CP M6) with ceramics (lighter than my previous non-CP M6), may not feel like it rides any harsher because the benefits of the lower unsprung weight reduce the negative affect of the stiffer springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #76
jeknhyde
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 14 conv; RR KAHN 4.4, uber

Thanks again PN for your detailed and considered response.
I do agree with your comment on it being a total waste to plod around in London with the M6 - I'm knowingly following the herd here who drive cars way too good for the environment technically but have fantastic pose value. My only saving grace is that most prefer Ferrari's and Porsches Astons and Jags.
I'm greatly encouraged to take the plunge and get the M6 cp+ccb
Although I might just opt for the 19" wheels and skip the cp/ccb or even get the Alpina B6 biturbo which by all accounts rides much better and has the Akra exhaust as standard...
Any views and experiences would be welcome.
The i8 also looks like the real deal
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #77
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
In London, or any congested city, I think the i8 would make much more sense than an M6. I looked into one, but most of my journeys are long distance so it did not make sense for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #78
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your explanation Palmnuts.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #79
///M5Bruno
Private First Class
Rep