BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-23-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
Samd007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650xi convertible

Soot on startup

I like to back into my garage since it’s easier to turn in due to narrow drive. Since I’ve owned my car I’ve noticed soot on the back wall behind the mufflers. I’m sure it’s spraying when the car starts. Does anyone else incur this? I have a ‘12 N63 with CCP and no other issues. Just wondering.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

I also have a 2012 650i (F12 N63). The Brits won't honor the CCP here, but I've had half my injectors replaced and "a cleaning", whatever that means.

Since that "service", I'm burning a liter of oil every 2500mi and they see no issue with this when I've called to ask. In fact, I got the low oil message the day after picking it up. Should have asked for the old filter, huh? :/

Taking it further will be my holiday project, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

These engines are known to drink oil. One of the service updates was to lower the threshold in iDrive that alers to low oil. It shouldn't be an issue, but everyone agrees it isn't ideal. If you google N63 oil or N63TU oil you will plenty of issues. I have heard one cause for this is improper bedding of the piston rings during break in. Basically, the engine needs to be stressed to allow the rings to cut the cylinders a tiny bit to seal the oil from the combustion chamber.

Lots and lots of info on this out there.
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1771.00
      11-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post
These engines are known to drink oil. One of the service updates was to lower the threshold in iDrive that alers to low oil. It shouldn't be an issue, but everyone agrees it isn't ideal. If you google N63 oil or N63TU oil you will plenty of issues. I have heard one cause for this is improper bedding of the piston rings during break in. Basically, the engine needs to be stressed to allow the rings to cut the cylinders a tiny bit to seal the oil from the combustion chamber.

Lots and lots of info on this out there.
Hi Murph914, thanks for your post.

I was well aware of that going into the deal. It's just strange that the behavior changed dramatically after the injectors were replaced. Before that, oil consumption wasn't so noticeable.

Knock on wood, but she's been doing fine (except for a strange electronic whine that's developed in the last few weeks - dealer??). I take her on weekly road trips from London to Newcastle, cruise to the South West regularly and just today went on a jaunt to Kent. She sees all sorts of driving, from stop n go on the M25 to blasting down country roads (safely).

Just seems strange the oil drinking behaviours changed slightly when they did.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Samd007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650xi convertible

Thank you both for the replies! I can go 3000 mi before I add a qt of oil. I have no problem with that and actually very happy with the car. After reading about exhaust soot it seems to be normal on cold starts due to internal moisture in exhaust. I guess I’ll mount some sort of absorbing material on back wall of garage so I don’t have to keep cleaning wall.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samd007 View Post
Thank you both for the replies! I can go 3000 mi before I add a qt of oil. I have no problem with that and actually very happy with the car. After reading about exhaust soot it seems to be normal on cold starts due to internal moisture in exhaust. I guess I’ll mount some sort of absorbing material on back wall of garage so I don’t have to keep cleaning wall.
We seem to be in the same boat. For the fun-factor of the 650i, I'm not that upset. I just wish that BMW's customer service in the UK was more consistent with customer service just about anywhere else. But... that's the Brits I guess.

I had a a couple lesser cars at home in the US which developed odd engine issues - a Pontiac G8GT (don't judge me) and a 335xi coupe (loved that car: Arktis Metallic with a 6MT).
I felt like the dealers wanted to impress me with their honesty & drive to correct the issues. The G8GT had its electronics overhauled around 12k miles from new and the 335xi went through 5 HPFPs while I owned it and even a replacement of both turbos at 69k miles (all under warranty). And, as mentioned, the dealers clearly wanted to fix the issue, provided constant updates, and loaner cars of equal or better quality/fun-factor.

Here in the UK, they are like... "here's an ultra-base/fleet 318d loaner and you gotta pay £20/day for the privilege. Time for tea?" lol
Appreciate 0