BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Convert / 2015 M3

Clear Bra on Sakhir Orange M6 Vert

I recently had a clear 3M paint protector bra installed on my M6 Sakhir Orange Convertible. I was noticing that it didn't take much for that color paint to chip when tiny stuff hits the car. The picture shows the bra installed and as you can see, it is hardly visible. Really pleased with the results. The 3M product will not fade, hurt the paint turn yellow and can be easily removed if so desire. Bugs and road grime is very easily removed.
The kit is pre-cut to the car and includes - Front Bumper, Partial hood, Headlights, the frame surrounding the front windshield, Trunk ledge, Door edges, Rear mirrors and door handle cups. Cost normally runs about $300 to $350 and professional installation (tint shop) about $150 to $200 if any of you are interested. Would like to hear any thoughts or comments....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I did full fenders and hood on my M6. And I agree, it looks great and is just as shiny as without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

After years of partial hood lids I opted for the full hood, fenders, A pillars, mirrors and small areas behind the rear wheel wells. It's really MUCH less noticeable and no need not be so careful with wax residue in the seam area highlighting it.

In the DC area that level of work performed by a skilled tech goes for about $1,400 with materials.
As the OP notes, these paints might be good for the environment but they're very soft.
I realize the UV protection is constantly improving, but it's highly advised that you treat the bra with the same product you use on your car. I use Zaino CS Clear Seal with great success.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

ditch that decal por favor

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
After years of partial hood lids I opted for the full hood, fenders, A pillars, mirrors and small areas behind the rear wheel wells. It's really MUCH less noticeable and no need not be so careful with wax residue in the seam area highlighting it.

In the DC area that level of work performed by a skilled tech goes for about $1,400 with materials.
As the OP notes, these paints might be good for the environment but they're very soft.
I realize the UV protection is constantly improving, but it's highly advised that you treat the bra with the same product you use on your car. I use Zaino CS Clear Seal with great success.
Great point. Where do you get the Zaino products? Did a search and couldn't find it. Would like to try it. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
ditch that decal por favor
I actually love the decal.... leave it on!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
UCFJWH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

I quoted it locally and it came back at $950 plus another $200 for the full hood. That seems like quite a bit more than what was listed above. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFJWH View Post
I quoted it locally and it came back at $950 plus another $200 for the full hood. That seems like quite a bit more than what was listed above. Any thoughts?
The "Full" kit go for around $300 to $350 using 3M material. I paid $350 and that includes all the pieces mentioned above. Smaller kits are available for a lower price. 3M provided a template for retailers, pretty much a computer program and a printer die cutter. I got mine on eBay but you want to make sure the material is 3M. Others are out there but they yellow and don't have the shine like the 3M material. I shopped around local tint shops and got 2 quotes one was $150 and the other was $250 for installation. I would highly recommend getting it installed professionally. Its amazing that a flat piece of material can bend and conform to all the curves on a car, but the pros can do it with a heat gun. Just the headlights alone will cost you $60 if purchased separately. I have no regrets and was really pleased with the results. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-4KIX View Post
I actually love the decal.... leave it on!!
Thanks. FL does not have front license plates, so the decal is slightly reflective die cut and it was installed over the clear bra. Its my trademark if you will. Have it on my 2011 X3 and 2012 F30 3 series sedan in different colors.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmaster View Post
Great point. Where do you get the Zaino products? Did a search and couldn't find it. Would like to try it. Thanks for the tip.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=7

Here you go
Appreciate 0