BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      09-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
mizoo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 760Li (soon M6 GC)

About to buy M6 GC

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, but have been owning BMW's for many years. I started with E38 730i back in 2005 and then had a pleasure to own and drive E39 540i, E60 M5, E63 M6, E65 750i and F02 760Li.

I have a '15 LCI M6 GC on my radar now and have recently viewed one, which I have some questions about.

It turns out it's had its first run-in service done at 2.2k mls in May '15 (instead of recommended 1.2k) and its current (oil) service has been overdue for around 6 months. I am not able to tell how many miles the car has done since the OBC started asking for the service, but the car has got only 13k mls on the clock, so it would seem it is all within the tolerance. What's your opinion on that? Could a late run-in service be a significant neglect?

Also, the driver's seat seems to be a bit worn out already on the left and right side, at the lumbar height. Is the merino leather quality so low in BMW's these days? As mentioned before, the car is only 2 years old and done only 13k mls. My '11 760 does not have a single mark on the seat after 6 years and 60k miles.

Last edited by mizoo; 09-13-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Dazza993
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport - Phytonic

A 15 plate is going to have been registered on 1st March at the earliest, so in less than 3 months the car has covered 2.2k miles?

Maybe not that unusual but that then seems out-of-kilter with the total of 13k miles to date.
Is it from a main dealer. I'd be less worried if so - though I didn't purchase mine from a BMW franchise, the history seemed quite sound and a 1 year comprehensive warranty was included.
I think a big more digging into the history might be needed- i.e. try and call the supplying dealer and the dealer(s) that have done the servicing on it - inc. the running in service.
I've found BMW UK and the BMW dealer whom did the servicing for the first owner to be very helpful.

As for the leather - I've got a smidge of wear on the seat bolsters - not a massive amount and my car has 13k miles on it too (on a 14 plate) so the Merino (Nappa) leather isn't as robust as the Dakota leather it would appear (it does look nice though)

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:17 AM   #3
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

The fact that the 1200 mile service has been missed would be enough for me to walk away, plenty around nowadays, i think over 20 on Autotrader so for me the hunt would go on. I think its easy to fall for the 1st one you see, my advice is buy the nicest cleanest example you can afford, preferably an AUC vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

the missed initial oil service can create future issues with excessive oil consumption. That's the technical issue you may have in longer term ownership. Most importantly, check in with BMW dealership in your country to see if extended warranty is still eligible on this car.

In the USA, if you miss the break-in oil service (it's called break-in service here not run-in), then the car will not be eligble for extended warranty.

Ultimately, if you plan on owning it for a long time and want to buy official BMW warranty, you may want to pass on this car.