BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Apple Car Play

Hi does anyone know if apple car play can be purchased via BMW Connected On line, it gives the option of a one off fee of £235 but im told that you need the prep application too from build, any ideas, BMW connected drive store unable to give me a firm yes or no

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Hi does anyone know if apple car play can be purchased via BMW Connected On line, it gives the option of a one off fee of £235 but im told that you need the prep application too from build, any ideas, BMW connected drive store unable to give me a firm yes or no

Thanks
https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...e/Base_CarPlay

If click the link above and enter your VIN it will tell you if you can have it or not. If your build doesn't include the necessary hardware options associated with your VIN then it will tell you it's unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Great thanks, just checked yes its has the hardware, subscription of £235 for i can get the usual spotify, tune in etc on the standard i drive menu, its it any good ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Great thanks, just checked yes its has the hardware, subscription of £235 for i can get the usual spotify, tune in etc on the standard i drive menu, its it any good ?

Thanks
I had it in my last car and don’t have it on this one. Don’t miss it to be honest. You can still use Siri without it by holding the voice control button down.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

I was excited when I read everything that the car could do, but in reality it's all pretty bad. I never use any of it. I even have internet on mine to view websites, but the system is unable to view anything. If you have specific apps you would like to use let us know and we will tell you how well they work. I just use the audio out via bt, aux in, snap in adapter, or usb. I rarely find the iDrive navigation to be worth not just using the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:33 AM   #6
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

If you have Apple Music Carplay is good for that but otherwise BMWs OEM systems are better than the Carplay Apps in terms of look and feel and functionality in my opinion.

Having said all that, its on £235 quid so just get it anyway!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
IM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

i have apple music and also the full shebang on BMW drive 3g system, but apart from Spotify which I don't have and use I don't see apple unless they have upgraded it.

I never ever use it, plug the phone in and go straight to apple music which plays off idrive so what am I missing out on here?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=IM6;22214420]i have apple music and also the full shebang on BMW drive 3g system,

is'nt Shebang that late night girly show on those adult channels, now that may be worth subscribing too
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM6 View Post
i have apple music and also the full shebang on BMW drive 3g system, but apart from Spotify which I don't have and use I don't see apple unless they have upgraded it.

I never ever use it, plug the phone in and go straight to apple music which plays off idrive so what am I missing out on here?
With Carplay you can directly access Apple Music and browse through online playlists. With iDrive you can only browse through music on your own playlists and it can be a bit temperamental if you have been using another audio app on your phone before connecting to the car

The iDrive interface is much nicer than Carplay though.
Appreciate 0