BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Start Stop Restarting Engine in N instead of D

This happened to me twice today. Both times at the entrance and exit to a multi storey car park.

When I stopped at the barrier to press a button/insert my ticket, the engine stopped as part of the start/stop function but when I released the brake, and the engine restarted, DCT went into N instead of drive.

Hasn't happened since or when in traffic, but slightly concerned in case it does.

Has anyone else experienced or heard about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derboy View Post
This happened to me twice today. Both times at the entrance and exit to a multi storey car park.

When I stopped at the barrier to press a button/insert my ticket, the engine stopped as part of the start/stop function but when I released the brake, and the engine restarted, DCT went into N instead of drive.

Hasn't happened since or when in traffic, but slightly concerned in case it does.

Has anyone else experienced or heard about this?
Can't say I've ever heard of, or experienced this problem before. I personally don't like the stop/start feature, and make a point of turning it OFF as part of my startup procedure EVERY time. Yes, I know BMW tell us the starter motor is beefed up to withstand what could be almost continuous use in city driving, but I believe it's an added unnecessary strain on the system, particularly on these big engined cars. On the rare occasions I've forgotten to switch it off, at a junction it's all suddenly gone unexpectedly quiet, traffic lights change, mad panic sets in and the throttle pedal is buried in the carpet and at best results in a 'number 11' away from the junction!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRog View Post
Can't say I've ever heard of, or experienced this problem before. I personally don't like the stop/start feature, and make a point of turning it OFF as part of my startup procedure EVERY time. Yes, I know BMW tell us the starter motor is beefed up to withstand what could be almost continuous use in city driving, but I believe it's an added unnecessary strain on the system, particularly on these big engined cars. On the rare occasions I've forgotten to switch it off, at a junction it's all suddenly gone unexpectedly quiet, traffic lights change, mad panic sets in and the throttle pedal is buried in the carpet and at best results in a 'number 11' away from the junction!
Its never happened to me in any other situation and I actually thought I must have nudged the gear selector whilst leaning over to put my ticket in the machine, but then it happened again on the way out.

Racking my brains to try and work out what was different about the situation. If it happens again I'll stick it into the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Should be simple software glitch or needs software update...
Dealers will take care of it ...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0