BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #45
agu845
Rep
Drives: '13 650 GCx, '99 M3

curious about engine break-in procedures.

while no engineer, i subscribe to the idea that babying a new engine under low rmp's is baaaaaad. Instead, go through various heat cycles: getting the engine up to relatively high rpm (say 5k) and then stepping off gas and allowing engine to decelerate, followed by cooler lower rpm operation, then repeating, then cooling/lower rpms, then varying degree of accel/decel over wide rpm/load ranges. absolutely no babying of a new engine.

ive done on this on every new car ive ever had, and have never experienced significant oil consumption. granted, could be coincidence. sure any FI engine will consume some oil. even a NA V8 in the E90 M3 would, but just not to any significant degree. i think a lot of it also depends on context. a race car sees much higher stresses and would expect to see quite a bit more than a street car.

I'm only at 900 mi on this one, so too soon to tell, and YES, I am knocking on wood as I type this.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #46
A B Able Truck
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 550I V8 (N62TU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
There is NO WAY one quart every 800 miles is normal. Your SA is nuts. Based on all I have read on all forums, assuming a somewhat reliable sample size, I would say 4000 to 5000 miles per quart is "normal" for the N63 and N63Tu. (And even that's a bit high IMO).
Those who consume one quart per 1500 miles or less have a problem that BMW seems reluctant to address. I haven't seen many reports of oil required between 1500 and 4000.
Does anyone know how to post a poll? I suggest for miles per one quart:
0-1500
1500-4000
4000-5000
5000+
Oil consumption problems ?

Investigation of Oil Consumption Issues should begin with the CCV / Intake system. Oil in the intake should not be considered normal and reduced to as minimal amount as possible.
This was taken from a recent article, as it also relates to the BMW owners oil consumption issue;

PVC-INTEGRATED ROCKER COVERS
One of the most distinctive features of the new LS1 Corvette engine is it's domed valve covers, which house the patent-pending, integrated positive crankcase ventilation system designed to enhance oil economy and oil life, while reducing oil consumption and contributing to lower emissions. The valve covers also hold the individual direct mount coil packs. Between the coil packs, the domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from of the crankcase gases - about 3 times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines.

BMW's CCV system is most likely the problem - There are ways to modify/filter their system to reduce oil consumption.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #47
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

While the debate on how to break in an engine will rage on forever, the excessive oil consumption (at the rate of 1 quart per ~1000 miles) that some members experience is an unrelated problem.

For what it's worth: While I didn't baby my engine, for the first 1000 miles I made sure to vary the revs, avoid constant speed, keep it away from redline and let the engine warm up before shutting back down. Similar to what BMW instructions read on my E92 M3. This is as much for the entire drivetrain as it is for the engine. I do not experience the excessive consumption.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #48
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by specific-software View Post
how many miles you have currently and how often you had to add oil since those 2500 miles? I had to add oil 6 times and I am at about 7100 miles
I currently have 3600 miles. I didn't add any oil after 2500 miles. Yours seems worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #49
specific-software
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3, X5M, Z4

started an "official" oil consumption test at my dealership this week. they will measure the oil consumption from my last visit till the minimum oil level warning appears again. this time they added 2qt of oil though. let's see how many miles I am able to drive before the warning appears.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #50
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
started an "official" oil consumption test at my dealership this week. they will measure the oil consumption from my last visit till the minimum oil level warning appears again. this time they added 2qt of oil though. let's see how many miles I am able to drive before the warning appears.
Please keep us updated as to what your Service Center is doing to work with you on the oil consumtion for your car. I am about to bring my computer with me to the Service Center I go to, and let them read this thread because I am becoming increasingly frustrated with low oil warning popping up on my screen. Maybe if I can get the Service Manager read about what we have been dealing with, I might finally get them to do something elase besides having to top me off again in about a month.

As of yesterday afternoon, that Low Oil Reading has come up on my iDrive Screen once again. That is nonsense. My car reads 2846 on the Odometer, and now this will be the THIRD time I have to go get oil added to my car, and I am sure I will have to pay for it, making this THREE time I have had to pay for an oil top off for a car that is covered under "Free Maintenance". I was just there last month for my second oil top off. Rediculous.

Please understand that I am not upset about the money, so much as me becoming quite annoyed with having to take time out of my day to stop at the service center to cough up 10 bucks for a quart of oil for a car that I picked up in February and has less than 3000 miles on it. That is unsat IMHO.
      07-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #51
specific-software
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3, X5M, Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Please keep us updated as to what your Service Center is doing to work with you on the oil consumtion for your car. I am about to bring my computer with me to the Service Center I go to, and let them read this thread because I am becoming increasingly frustrated with low oil warning popping up on my screen. Maybe if I can get the Service Manager read about what we have been dealing with, I might finally get them to do something elase besides having to top me off again in about a month.

As of yesterday afternoon, that Low Oil Reading has come up on my iDrive Screen once again. That is nonsense. My car reads 2846 on the Odometer, and now this will be the THIRD time I have to go get oil added to my car, and I am sure I will have to pay for it, making this THREE time I have had to pay for an oil top off for a car that is covered under "Free Maintenance". I was just there last month for my second oil top off. Rediculous.

Please understand that I am not upset about the money, so much as me becoming quite annoyed with having to take time out of my day to stop at the service center to cough up 10 bucks for a quart of oil for a car that I picked up in February and has less than 3000 miles on it. That is unsat IMHO.
I will definitely post an update. I assume this time it will take about 2 months though, they added 2qt of oil last week. So I guess the minimum oil level warning will pop up after around 1500-1600 miles.

Btw, I never paid for the oil at my dealer. I also wouldn't mind paying for it but what's more annoying is the time I always have to spend to go there. Easily 1.5 hours each trip
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #52
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I will definitely post an update. I assume this time it will take about 2 months though, they added 2qt of oil last week. So I guess the minimum oil level warning will pop up after around 1500-1600 miles.

Btw, I never paid for the oil at my dealer. I also wouldn't mind paying for it but what's more annoying is the time I always have to spend to go there. Easily 1.5 hours each trip
Thanks. I really appreciate that. You are the second person who told me that you did not have to pay for the oil. I didn't care the first time I had to pay, the second time I was a little disappointed to hear I have to pay again, and now I am frustrated to know that i will have to drive all the way out there, to pay them for oil once again. It would seem that we both are burning through a quart of oil every 700-900 miles or so. I could be wrong, but I never thought that would be a "normal" thing for such a high end car... or ANY car for that matter...

When I had to pay for oil the second time, I asked my SA, "why would I have to pay for oil for a car that is supposed to be covered under the manufacturer's warranty that clearly states, $0 maintenance...?" He told me that it doesn't cover oil top offs, only scheduled maintenance. That actually made sense to me, but now this has become a huge inconvenience to have to go out of my way to drive to the service center, then pay for a quart of oil.

When they ask me to pay for the third quart tomorrow morning when I go there before heading to work, I'm gonna ask the SA should I stop bringing the car in once a month for a quart of oil, let the engine run on low oil until it explodes, and then have the car towed in at the expense of BMW and then let them fix the car for $0 maintenance at that time!!
      07-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #53
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks. I really appreciate that. You are the second person who told me that you did not have to pay for the oil. I didn't care the first time I had to pay, the second time I was a little disappointed to hear I have to pay again, and now I am frustrated to know that i will have to drive all the way out there, to pay them for oil once again. It would seem that we both are burning through a quart of oil every 700-900 miles or so. I could be wrong, but I never thought that would be a "normal" thing for such a high end car... or ANY car for that matter...

When I had to pay for oil the second time, I asked my SA, "why would I have to pay for oil for a car that is supposed to be covered under the manufacturer's warranty that clearly states, $0 maintenance...?" He told me that it doesn't cover oil top offs, only scheduled maintenance. That actually made sense to me, but now this has become a huge inconvenience to have to go out of my way to drive to the service center, then pay for a quart of oil.

When they ask me to pay for the third quart tomorrow morning when I go there before heading to work, I'm gonna ask the SA should I stop bringing the car in once a month for a quart of oil, let the engine run on low oil until it explodes, and then have the car towed in at the expense of BMW and then let them fix the car for $0 maintenance at that time!!
No, that's stupid.

BMW has instructed its dealers to top off the 650 at no cost to the owner (as long as the car is still under warranty/maintenance). The engine oil issue is a known issue at BMW.

The last time I brought my car in, the SA just topped it off without even checking/measuring the oil, and did it without even keying in my key fob so that they have a record. Just did it. NO questions asked and said that if I ever need to top off, just bring her in.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #54
BillCB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i X Gran Coupe M Sport

Garage List
Am I just lucky or did the problem get fixed in the 2014 model year? I think the latter may be true after reading this thread.

I rechecked my oil today. At 8,000 km (5,000 miles) it is at the full level just the same as when I took delivery nearly three months ago. Haven't added a drop.

I do not do a lot of urban driving - in fact I rarely use the car for anything but 100-200 km trips, mostly highway.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #55
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCB View Post
Am I just lucky or did the problem get fixed in the 2014 model year? I think the latter may be true after reading this thread.

I rechecked my oil today. At 8,000 km (5,000 miles) it is at the full level just the same as when I took delivery nearly three months ago. Haven't added a drop.

I do not do a lot of urban driving - in fact I rarely use the car for anything but 100-200 km trips, mostly highway.
The problem isn't 100% accross the board. I have a 2012, mostly suburban driving, and I've added 2 quarts in 13k. The indicator is currently at full and I'm coming up on my first oil change. That doesn't mean the problem hasn't been addressed in 2014. Let's see what other 14MY owners have to say over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #56
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit
Quote:

No, that's stupid.

BMW has instructed its dealers to top off the 650 at no cost to the owner (as long as the car is still under warranty/maintenance). The engine oil issue is a known issue at BMW.

The last time I brought my car in, the SA just topped it off without even checking/measuring the oil, and did it without even keying in my key fob so that they have a record. Just did it. NO questions asked and said that if I ever need to top off, just bring her in.
Thanks for the feedback. I was told that if I take the car to the service center associated with the dealer where I purchased the car, then the top off would be free of charge.

The problem was I was going to the service center closest to me out of convenience, and not the one where I took delivery. Easy fix. Thanks again guys.
      06-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #57
Onpoint79
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 650i xdrive

Can I put 5w-40 in the 650i instead of 5w-30?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:08 PM   #58
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onpoint79 View Post
Take a look down the list of BMW recommended LL-01 (long life-01) oil viscosity for the N63/N63TU/N63TU2/N63TU3 (you didn’t say which one you have). There should also be mention of recommended oil viscosity in your owners manual. There’s also an owners manual built into iDrive.

[img]

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:10 PM   #59
Onpoint79
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Take a look down the list of BMW recommended LL-01 (long life-01) oil viscosity for the N63/N63TU/N63TU2/N63TU3 (you didn’t say which one you have). There should also be mention of recommended oil viscosity in your owners manual. There’s also an owners manual built into iDrive.

[img]
650ixdrive
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 10:26 PM   #60
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

From owners manual:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 11:12 PM   #61
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

And since there’s an owners manual in iDrive which is specific to your car’s VIN and features…its easy to find info due to multiple ways to pull up info. You can do a keyword search or search by pictures or search using the quick reference:

My 2013 650ixGC lists 4 alternative oil viscosity types:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #62
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Qsilver7 to the rescue and educational throw down again! This thread was resurrected from almost a decade ago! Oil and oil viscosity has been talked about 100s of times since then on these forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:19 AM   #63
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
That's what I use for the simple reason it's the easiest LL-01 oil to find locally. It's Castrol.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #64
Onpoint79
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
From owners manual:
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:48 AM   #65
Onpoint79
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:
That's what I use for the simple reason it's the easiest LL-01 oil to find locally. It's Castrol.
Appreciate it I just bought it and this is my 1st Bmw so wanted to get the best information before I screw something up.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:04 PM   #66
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you’re going to DIY…I also recommend using a German brand oil filter like BMW (from your local dealer’s parts department) or go online and find vendors selling a Mahle, Bosch, Hengst, etc (just to name a few).

And since you need 10 quarts…you can also find 5 quart jugs at Walmart for $20-$30 a jug. See some examples below (you may have to order them either to the store or your home sometimes when stock gets low):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0