BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-20-2024, 03:39 AM   #1
Cxdyracks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i GC X-drive

Exclamation Rear Inside tire wear issue | Help *New BMW owner

Hey I am a new owner of a 2014 650i GC X-Drive. Car has 90,000 Miles on it.bought it off a private dealership with 2 year unlimited mile extended warranty.

I have driven the car for about 6 months now with no problems except for a small leak evap system engine code that I just use my OBD reader to delete.

Recently I got a low tire pressure warning in all 4 tires, checked the PSI and the front two were at 30 and the rear left was at 35, but rear right was at 15. I brought all tires back up to spec and then reset the tire pressure sensors.

A week later I was driving on the highway and blew a tire. Towed it to a tire repair shop , got all 4 replaced.

The front two tires were in pretty good condition barely any wear on the tread. The rear two tires were absolutely destroyed on the inside edge of the tire. I’m suspecting an alignment issue with too much negative toe or chamber. Or maybe bushings loose or ball joint or something.

Has anyone had this issue or know what I should be expecting as far as tire wear goes?

I drive moderate to hard. I don’t want to drive until I get a realignment and suspension inspection or else I’m just risking these brand new tires and possible further damage.

My wheels squeak a little bit in cold weather when pulling up to drive thrus but on the highway and at high speeds the car is very smooth and has no pulling or handling issues. So I didn’t see this coming until it happened.

Any help and tips and tricks and from experience would be much appreciated!

Few notes to add regarding other minor problems-

-Randomly 3 months ago got a drivetrain malfunction error upon startup, turned off car and turned it back on and it went away and has never came back.
- Battery Low warning in the cold mornings like -20°C , went away after driving long distances on highway.
-Engine oil low “add one quart of oil” added it.
-engine light with code reading “very small evap system leak detected”

-Also sometimes when driving more than 80Mph+ my wheel stiffens up which is great for handling but when I go back down to normal 25mph normal cruising speed it takes a few minutes for the wheel to feel loose again.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 07:53 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Although most cars have some negative camber, what you are describing as extreme inner wear on the rear only is not a common theme on this forum. Mine wear evenly. So yeah, get your alignment checked by somebody who knows what they are doing. At 90k miles some rear suspension bushings may be toast. These are heavy cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:40 AM   #3
Cxdyracks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i GC X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Although most cars have some negative camber, what you are describing as extreme inner wear on the rear only is not a common theme on this forum. Mine wear evenly. So yeah, get your alignment checked by somebody who knows what they are doing. At 90k miles some rear suspension bushings may be toast. These are heavy cars.
Took it into a Mechanic today. Said the camber is slightly out of spec but the Toe on all four was way out of whack, like rear toe at -1.6° . They did an inspection on the control arms, bushings, and ball joints and said everything looked great and was tight.

He said they were unable to take the bolts off the rear control arm to make the alignment adjustments because the bolts were seized. So they ordered new control arm adjustment bolts from dealership cuz he’s gonna have to snap off the old ones. Front adjustment should be way easier he said without problems because it’s just easy jam nuts.

Thoughts or concerns ?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:45 AM   #4
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

"Thoughts or concerns ?"

My thought is:
Why didn't you take it back to dealership? It is not a minor issue and clearly was a hidden fault that cannot be detected on a short test drive. They should have fixed it for you, maybe given a new set of tires too.

My concern is:
Unless the previous owner only had your car for few months, he must have known about the problem, maybe even about the stuck bolt in the control arm. Instead of rectifying the problem, he decided to sell the car. This raises a question: "Did he take any other shortcuts with the maintenance?" Not necessarily and hopefully it was the time for him to change the car already. If I were you, I would change the oil right away, unless done by dealer.

As you might expect, you should do periodical checks on tire wear - even though you will get the wheel alignment done. Remember to ask them print the report, it is a good reference should there be any problems in future, or if you want to adjust the handling of the car.
Imagine, if you hit a pothole and 1 front wheel has toe way out of specks. It wears quickly out and because of X-drive, you will have to replace all 4!

I'm surprised the bolt was so stuck they have to cut it. The car is only 10 years old, but seems like nobody ever bothered to touch that bolt

Anyway, congratulations for a nice car! I am sure you will have many happy miles with it
Appreciate 0