BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFreak14 View Post
Agree to an extent but the Mercedes SL looks great with the top up. Plus my dad has a 6er vert and at high speeds with the top up it gets loud in the cabin.
Agreed, but the SL doesn't have a back seat (at least not a functional one, even if it is offered in a few countries). The new Z4 looks great with a folding hardtop, but it too doesn't have a back seat. Trying to cover a big hole with folding panels just isn't pretty.

Softops are a little louder than most folding hardtops, but just like chassis flex, slower lap times and added weight, it's part of having a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Trying to cover a big hole with folding panels just isn't pretty.
Looks are subjective - a lot of people actually like the look of the E93 with the top up. It is far from universally derided, unlike the Bangle-butt on the current E63, for example. I actually prefer the notchback look to the E92 fastback look myself. It looks more aggressive to me. To each his own.

The Infiniti G37 is another four-place convertible with a pretty successful hard-top execution. There are some real stinkers out there too (lookin' at you Lexus IS) but it can be done with positive results.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #25
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Cargo space in the e93 is fine - as much as the e46 had.
With the top up or down? There doesn't appear to be much space at all when it is down on the E93.
      07-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
With the top up or down? There doesn't appear to be much space at all when it is down on the E93.
I mean with the top down.

Looks are deceiving. The area beneath the "top protector" that you retract to put the top down is actually quite cavernous. I will say that the space is not very accessible with the top down. But there is the comfort loading option to help aleviate that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Glad it's a soft top, can't wait to see the coupe though!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks are subjective - a lot of people actually like the look of the E93 with the top up. It is far from universally derided, unlike the Bangle-butt on the current E63, for example. I actually prefer the notchback look to the E92 fastback look myself. It looks more aggressive to me. To each his own.

The Infiniti G37 is another four-place convertible with a pretty successful hard-top execution. There are some real stinkers out there too (lookin' at you Lexus IS) but it can be done with positive results.

I agree that the G37 looks pretty good, I passed one yesterday and didn't really process that it was a convertible until I was directly beside it. Of course neither G37 coupe or convertible have as much back seat space as the E92/E93. And the Lexus IS and the Fezza California both look terrible, we won't even mention the Lexus SC.

I really only find the E93 ungainly from direct angles, straight from the side or straight from behind, where it comes a little undone. To be fair, these aren't angles you generally see in the real world, more in pictures.

I don't really like the style of the E92 either, especially the very long rear overhang and the generally soft angles of the back third, so that might be part of it. I don't claim that everyone dislikes it, but I do think that most would agree the E46 convertible has at least a more traditional "convertible" look to it, and the folding hard top is a lot of the reason for that.

Again, I have no personal interest in the new 6er, but do think that the soft top fits it's character as a large, somewhat soft GT better than a folding hardtop would.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, I have no personal interest in the new 6er, but do think that the soft top fits it's character as a large, somewhat soft GT better than a folding hardtop would.
Perhaps true, but it would still be nice to see the convertible hard top as an option. Xler has that for the Sebring, which by the way looks pretty gosh darn iffy regardless of whether you spec the metal or cloth roof. Course, its a rental lot special so expectations are low.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps true, but it would still be nice to see the convertible hard top as an option. Xler has that for the Sebring, which by the way looks pretty gosh darn iffy regardless of whether you spec the metal or cloth roof. Course, its a rental lot special so expectations are low.
Yeah, both the Sebring and Pontiac G6 look pretty dodgy. I wonder if they had to crash test both versions, or if they got an exception?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #31
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I mean with the top down.

Looks are deceiving. The area beneath the "top protector" that you retract to put the top down is actually quite cavernous. I will say that the space is not very accessible with the top down. But there is the comfort loading option to help alleviate that.
Gotcha. I didn't realize there was some space beneath the folded top. Subjectively, I'm not a big fan of how the E93 looks, but the new Z4 on the other hand, the hard top looks well. I'm having a hard time picturing a hard top on a convertible as big as the 6, which is odd because I can picture the coupe.
      07-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The old 6 series looked like ASS, the new 6 series looks like ASS. And I don't mean nice ASS.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #33
JetBlack335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sapphire Black 535xi

It really looks the same. Just has a facelift.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #34
pdubbb1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

Garage List
2016 BMW m4  [0.00]
are you kidding. the e93 looks better then the e92 hands down. vert owners have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Ugh, just take one look at an E93 with the top up to realize why it's not a hardtop convertible. Is there a good looking hardtop 'vert, especially one with a functional backseat?

The 911, Bentley Continental, Aston DB9 and countless other cars continue with cloth tops because they look better, don't eat trunk space and when the chassis flexes, they don't drive their painted parts into fixed components and result in pricey repairs.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #35
DB Fresh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 10' 335i coupe

cant wait for the car to come out
Appreciate 0