BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
M_Power_Fan
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: the Ring

Video: M6 laps the Nürburgring GP

Hi all,

we had a nice track day at Nürburgring GrandPrix Circuit and my M6 was there too

Here are some laps and one hotlap with data displayed. Unfortunately the camera got loose at one point but you'll see...

I had an C63 AMG with performance package so here's some things i noticed about the M6:

- the car is heavy and has some ugly understeer, you have to adapt your line and driving style here.
- the carbon fiber brakes are awesome. With the C63 the brakes faded after 3-4 laps and with the M6 i did 8 laps and no fading at the brakes at all. And it was a pretty hot day!
- Oil temperature went up to 120°C but no engine or gearbox problems at all.
- the traction of the M6 is absolutely stunning. This car has more torque and more horsepower than the C63 and the traction is so much better. Guess the active differential does its job.
- The M6 is a little tricky to handle if it gets loose. I had a spin when the rear came on me by surprise. If you want to drift though the handling and control is very good but you have to be real fast on the steering wheel.
- fuel consumption went up to 29.5L/km - i guess the display doesnt show more

So overall it is really unbelievable how this heavy 2000kg car handles at the track. But it doesnt like tiny tracks with slow corners. Guess the Nürburgring Nordschleife would fit even better for this car.

Greetings and enjoy the vids:

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

GREAT videos! Who says you can't beat a GT3 on a track?!

You are an expert apex cutter my friend. Very nice piece of driving. Do you see any reason to get the ceramic brakes if you are going to rarely track the car? Also, do you experience and squealing from them? Just ordered a 2014 F13 M6 competition pkg to replace my F10 M5 and the only thing I did not get (excluding the night vision) was the ceramic brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Just ordered a 2014 F13 M6 competition pkg to replace my F10 M5 and the only thing I did not get (excluding the night vision) was the ceramic brakes.
i did order my m6 competition pkg with the ceramic brakes due to the saving of the unsprung weight of 42 lbs vs the normal brakes.

according to my source in Garching you do feel this weight saving in accelerations and dynamics, specially as it is unsrpung weight.

I wanted maximum performance in my m6 and brakes witch do not fade after a couple of hot laps. So this was important.

An other thing my dealer informed me that with the performance pkg the vmax is still not included (305kmh). Feels strange to me, that should definitely included in a performance pkg.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-ch View Post
i did order my m6 competition pkg with the ceramic brakes due to the saving of the unsprung weight of 42 lbs vs the normal brakes.

according to my source in Garching you do feel this weight saving in accelerations and dynamics, specially as it is unsrpung weight.

I wanted maximum performance in my m6 and brakes witch do not fade after a couple of hot laps. So this was important.

An other thing my dealer informed me that with the performance pkg the vmax is still not included (305kmh). Feels strange to me, that should definitely included in a performance pkg.
Yeah, I am sure 42 lbs is most definitely noticeable and I am also a guy who wants EVERYTHING out of my M6. It is just that since it is likely that I will never track my car that I am not sure that I will see any real benefit. I do however like to drive in a spirited manner. No problem with spending the money if in fact, with my driving primarily on street, I will realize benefit. Fortunately, the 2014 M6 is fitted with a new master cylinder that allows for post production installation of the ceramic brakes which would allow me to add them if I found that I regretted not including them in my order. I am not sure if this is exclusive to the competition package or not.

Agreed on the vmax. Really sort of inconsistent with the idea of "competition" or "performance".
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
m-ch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Yeah, I am sure 42 lbs is most definitely noticeable and I am also a guy who wants EVERYTHING out of my M6. It is just that since it is likely that I will never track my car that I am not sure that I will see any real benefit.
Well i thought a the beginning 42 LBS is nothing. But since it is unsprung and rotating weight, i was told that you have to multiplie this weight by a certain factor to compare it to other weight of your car.
Not sur what the factor aproximitly is, maybe some one can give us a Little help.
Anyway as you said you can change them afterwards if you want so, but i think with out tracking your car you will be happy with the normal brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I have handled the ceramic rotors at BMW NA Headquarters during an open-door event and they are unbelievably light (lift with two fingers); more durable too.

The stock rotor weights at least 30 lbs, rim is 30-35 lbs and the tire another 15 lbs or more.
All of that weight, on each corner!

Still, that price tag...

Nice videos. TY for posting. Anyone knows the rearview mirror phone mount he is using?

Looks like he may be running Harry's Lap Timer on that iPhone. Amazing app:
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Last edited by v12; 07-29-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0