BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

My 76' 633CSi and F12 M6

hi,

I'm a neighbor from the m3post... figured i'd share pics of my baby.

Some back story:

I'm a native from europe, but was lucky enough to move to US at a young age. When I became old enough, i enlisted with armed forces. About a year and a half ago I got fortunate to get stationed in Germany! YAY! When I moved here, I brought my E90 M3 with me, but I wanted to find some of the cars that I remembered from my childhood in Latvia. So I owned two E30's, E36 325, classic mini, E46 328... but my dream car was a shark... didn't matter which one, 3/5/6/7 series... believe it or not, but it is VERY hard to find a shark here, especially anything in good condition... yes, there are some that are awesome, but stickers range from 10k euro > 100k euro (82 M6). i found this car about a year ago! It was parked on base, on the lemon lot. At first I wasn't too excited, the color was so so, mirror only on one side, she was wearing stock 14 bbs's, and was just a little vague... but she was 1976(July), which is the first production year for the 6. I met up with the owner, took her for a drive... and WOW, she begged to be driven! Cool gear shifter (makes me think of some old ferrari with gated shifters and long throws). Car is for Italian market, came with AC. Guys dad bought it in early 80's, so she comes with full records. About 5yrs ago she had full body restoration, and 3 years ago engine rebuild. She came with couple of dozen parts (a spare tranny, AC, panels, rear lights etc...). I was going back and fourth with the owner for a few months.... we were working on the price and I was gathering some info. He wanted to sell it to me, since he knew i would take care of her (he didn't have time for it). Finally, a few months later, the deal was made!

And so the work began. First, I noticed that one of the rear fenders was getting a rust buble.... Second I found a nice set of 17 inch wheel that remind me of Alpina wheels. Then I installed radio (it's so so, but does the job for now... Actually found almost new stock rear speakers). Then I ordered some chrome fenders (I don't like chrome, but for that kind of car it's ok), and had the rust removed. Next on the project was to fix the interior... well, that is a hard job, and I'm still at it. I plan on ordering some custom floor mats (beige with red lettering 76' 633 CSi), alpina horn button, rear speaker pod, and doing something about those seats... For now, i found a really nice MoMo steering wheel (original italian), that I just installed (it needs some attention as well). I think it goes well with such an old car... About a month ago I decided to take the car to the dealer to get valve adjustment and ignition timing adjustment. I asked the dealer not to rush, since I don't drive the car in the winter. When I came to check up on the car a week later, one of the service managers approached me (older german dude) and told me that he has a suspension for the car ! Yes! I've been looking to get something for that area, but couldn't find anything, anywhere! Car is based on E12 5 series (vs later model e24's are based on e28), so finding any parts is a pain, especially suspension... especially aftermarket... especially new... Someone order a set of Hartage () springs and Bilstein shocks for E12 car, and never picked them up from him. So he had the parts laying in garage for 20yrs! They were in excellent shape (had the dealer inspect it). Dealer proceeded to install those. ... at the dealership I saw m6 of someone I know, so i snapped couple of pics (sorry for quality).

when i first got her... and few weeks into it.

After chrome fenders, springs and shocks, and wooden momo... next to the younging (fellow m-flight member)....

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

First, well done on finding a classic 6.

I think the very first photo looks best. Those are beautiful, classic rims, perfectly in sync with the time when the car first saw the light of day.

Chrome fenders on a true classic like this? No. Some non-standard steering wheel? No. That is like a beautifully ageing person who tries to look 28 again by wearing too much make-up, or a tight-fitting shirt.

You have a stunning modern car in the M6, do not try to make this classic 633 look anything other than the great classic it is.

My take on it. Granted, others think different.

R.
      04-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
First, well done on finding a classic 6.

I think the very first photo looks best. Those are beautiful, classic rims, perfectly in sync with the time when the car first saw the light of day.

Chrome fenders on a true classic like this? No. Some non-standard steering wheel? No. That is like a beautifully ageing person who tries to look 28 again by wearing too much make-up, or a tight-fitting shirt.

You have a stunning modern car in the M6, do not try to make this classic 633 look anything other than the great classic it is.

My take on it. Granted, others think different.

R.
thanks for response. I agree on keeping the car classy as I go, I just have a different idea of what may fit into category of classic. What you talking about is keeping it original... yes, there are benefits to that, and at any point I can put her back into original. On stock springs, well besides being worn out in the back, the car behaved very shaky and floaty. I bought original Hartage springs (hartage is not too known in the US, but here in Germany it's one of the best tuning companies). Bilstein: well come on, you can't say that is a cheap ebay mod (which is also very respectable company for an old school). Wooden steering wheel: hold up, this is MoMo, which is the one that was used by Alpina and was installed in many cars of that era... i think wooden steering wheel is retro... it's a $200 wheel. Chrome fenders: I tried finding a shop that would guarantee paint match after fixing the rust... but most of good body shops will say that it is highly difficult without repainting half the car. So I had the rust removed and put the fenders to cover it. Wheels are following the design of alpina's for that age (i'm not rocking 19in chromes, that i saw the other day on e24).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I think that you've done some good upgrades. Always stock doesn't mean also better
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I think it's great anytime someone takes a classic and keeps it alive. Congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Reeses83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe

Garage List
Nice classic but I don't like the chrome fenders either. Amazing m6!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Don't like the chrome but its understandable if fixing/painting the fenders is cost prohibitive.
      06-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
Greg Lecewicz
Rep
Drives: 2010 650i coupe

Less could be more in some cases but this is your car. Just the effort deserves thumbs up.
Appreciate 0