BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Installed the Black Kidney Grilles

Was a pain in the ass on the driver's side that I did first, but once I figured it out, was super easy on the other side. Install times are so much faster when you actually know what you're doing without worrying about breaking stuff.

— Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Hotsawwce
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

Can you write a short guide on how to install? Mine have been sitting in my room for months. Was going to take it to a shop to install but if it's not too hard I'll just do it myself
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

It's just a matter of putting a little bit of force when pulling the grills out. No special tools required. Just bare hands and maybe some gloves. Note that when you pull, put your hands close to the top and bottom attachment of the grills so you're pulling it off right where the grills clip on to the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Don't recommend ripping them out. I did mine today. Just remove the top few screws along the top of the bumper cover under the bonnet. You can then peel the bumper back and get your hands in behind. Use a flat blade screw driver to disengage the clips at the tops and sides. Then you pull the kidney grills from the top and disengage the bottom clips. The whole thing relies on you flexing the bumper cover so you need to take your time and be gentle.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsawwce View Post
Can you write a short guide on how to install? Mine have been sitting in my room for months. Was going to take it to a shop to install but if it's not too hard I'll just do it myself
you need a long flat tip screwdriver that's the only tool you'll need beside a flashlight to see the tabs to press down on the grilles to pop them out.

the torque screws on the front need to be taken out, should be 6 of them. take those out, and there are tabs on the protection flap or whatever those two pieces are called that you can take out by hand. you can bend it back gently that way you don't have to worry about taking both pieces entirely off.

when you take the torque screws out, you'll notice that you can bend the front bumper toward you slightly. it's more than enough room to get the screwdriver down to press. after doing mine, i'd recommend starting with the front 3 tabs on the top of the grille, then the side tab closest to the headlight. that's gonna be the most difficult one to press down on, which is the main reason you need a long neck flat tip. make sure when you get the first three pressed down, you slightly pull on the grille that way it doesn't snap back in while you're trying to get the side tab pressed. once you get the side tab pressed, slightly tug on the grilles and it will come out.

then all you have to do is put your new grille in. it literally pops right into place.

it took me a while simply because i didn't know what i was doing, combined with the fact that i didn't want to break anything. once i got the first grille out, the second one took me all of 3 minutes. mainly because the side tabs are annoying to get to.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT just pull on the grille trying to He-man it out. you'll break your grille before it comes out. do it the proper way.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Looks Great!
What's the cost of the grills? .. if you don't mind me asking.
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunner View Post
Looks Great!
What's the cost of the grills? .. if you don't mind me asking.
400 at bmw

Appreciate 1
      08-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

so much better than the chrome rings!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2017, 04:21 AM   #9
garethm
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Looks great! I'm thinking of painting mine using plastidip so that I can go back to stock look anytime I want.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i'd say Carbon Fiber badges to flow with the black out look!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0