BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
When does BMW advice spark plug change service

My dealer was a bit unsure and said they would hvae to consult their handbook and get back to me. Just so I'm aware, do you guys know what the service recommendation mileage is for spark plug change? I'm trying to get it done before my 50k mileage under bmw care. This info would help out greatly. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
My dealer was a bit unsure and said they would hvae to consult their handbook and get back to me. Just so I'm aware, do you guys know what the service recommendation mileage is for spark plug change? I'm trying to get it done before my 50k mileage under bmw care. This info would help out greatly. Thanks!
Usually after the 3rd oil service. So that is around 33000- 36000 miles. Usually in that ballpark. Depending on your quality of fuel it can be longer or shorter. Mine were just done at 41000 after a 7000 mile cross country drive to LA and back to NY in my M5 which has the same engine as your M6.
      08-16-2017, 02:36 AM   #3
Moozi20
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, Alfa Romeo Giulia

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
My spark plugs were done recently at 26K miles which would have been the 4th oil service by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Plugs are not due while 6th oil change or approx 60k miles.

Exert from BM maintenance program

Spark plugs (connected to specific Engine Oil Service) Coverage
At every 6th Engine Oil Service (approximately 60,000 miles) replace spark plugs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 vert

I'm at the dealer today for my final visit under the 4 year/50k mile service plan... my '14 M6 has 24k miles on it and the SA said a change of plugs was indicated and they're doing it now (good news as my free service expires in 3 days).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmb View Post
I'm at the dealer today for my final visit under the 4 year/50k mile service plan... my '14 M6 has 24k miles on it and the SA said a change of plugs was indicated and they're doing it now (good news as my free service expires in 3 days).
Ask them for a print out that states that, that's the second service after RI service.Its Bullsh1t, I'd take my car to a dealer who knew what they were talking about.

Full BM maintenance plan below

https://www.bmwux.com/guides/bmw-m-m...ntenance-guide
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvyn View Post
Quote:
Ask them for a print out that states that, that's the second service after RI service.Its Bullsh1t, I'd take my car to a dealer who knew what they were talking about.

Full BM maintenance plan below

https://www.bmwux.com/guides/bmw-m-m...ntenance-guide
Yes - i know the dealer is jumping the gun a little and doing a few things early (and getting a little easy revenue) b/c that's exactly what I asked my SA to do ... anything and everything he can before the free service expires in three days. I call that good customer service and definitely not lack of knowledge given that they are the largest bmw dealership in Atlanta and consistently in the top 10 in the US every year.
Depending on what goes wrong I will use my trusted indy or sometimes this dealer, and follow (or accelerate) the recommended intervals.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Yes - i know the dealer is jumping the gun a little and doing a few things early (and getting a little easy revenue) b/c that's exactly what I asked my SA to do ... anything and everything he can before the free service expires in three days. I call that good customer service and definitely not lack of knowledge given that they are the largest bmw dealership in Atlanta and consistently in the top 10 in the US every year.
Depending on what goes wrong I will use my trusted indy or sometimes this dealer, and follow (or accelerate) the recommended intervals.
you may think it's good customer service, but in reality, they're just working within their rules. There's an internal policy to allow you to do the service earlier (as part of a dealer maintenance plan), it's usually cutoff at 2000 miles or so (and ? months) within the service due.

If you go to a servicing department, just have them scan your keys. They'll tell you exactly what upcoming services you have and when it is due, and spark plugs would be on it. Remember, these cars run on CBS schedule these days.

I had a similar situation with my M3 as well. I thought they were being nice when they serviced me 1 month and a few thousand miles before schedule and before my maintenance plan ran out. Then I realized, I actually just made their mileage cutoff, I didn't even have to ask, they just did the extra work...
      08-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
you may think it's good customer service, but in reality, they're just working within their rules. There's an internal policy to allow you to do the service earlier (as part of a dealer maintenance plan), it's usually cutoff at 2000 miles or so (and ? months) within the service due.

If you go to a servicing department, just have them scan your keys. They'll tell you exactly what upcoming services you have and when it is due, and spark plugs would be on it. Remember, these cars run on CBS schedule these days.

I had a similar situation with my M3 as well. I thought they were being nice when they serviced me 1 month and a few thousand miles before schedule and before my maintenance plan ran out. Then I realized, I actually just made their mileage cutoff, I didn't even have to ask, they just did the extra work...
Yep - that's consistent with my experience - in my case they did scan my key fob per usual but nothing showed. The dealer then did a little extra b/c I had previously doubled up my oil change interval with my indy, who unfortunately reset all my CBS interval schedules which pushed them out past my maintenance. Once I explained and provided proof of the extra indy service, the dealer was able to void it out, reset the service intervals back to prior settings, and then a few service items did show up, which as you state they were allowed to do a little early within their guidelines. In the end, it saved me some $$ on service that was upcoming.

Re the original post, I personally wouldn't go any longer than 30K miles to change plugs on an M car, irrespective of the CBMS, but that's just me.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      08-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yep - that's consistent with my experience - in my case they did scan my key fob per usual but nothing showed. The dealer then did a little extra b/c I had previously doubled up my oil change interval with my indy, who unfortunately reset all my CBS interval schedules which pushed them out past my maintenance. Once I explained and provided proof of the extra indy service, the dealer was able to void it out, reset the service intervals back to prior settings, and then a few service items did show up, which as you state they were allowed to do a little early within their guidelines. In the end, it saved me some $$ on service that was upcoming.

Re the original post, I personally wouldn't go any longer than 30K miles to change plugs on an M car, irrespective of the CBMS, but that's just me.
Ha, didn't even know they can roll back CBS
Appreciate 1
gregmb19.50
      08-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #11
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha, didn't even know they can roll back CBS
yep - surprised me as well - saved me over a grand (and I'm willing to bet that not every dealer would do it as it involved a few steps: look at indy service record, capture some info, use info to void the entry and its effect with some sort of programming, drive it around the block a few times so it will take effect, then run new diagnostic scans on fob/car to see what is indicated)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

anyway they can roll back odo? lol
      08-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
anyway they can roll back odo? lol
For that you need to know a guy that knows a guy Haha
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      08-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
For that you need to know a guy that knows a guy Haha
but I guess we all know someone who knows someone who'll roll back the CBS!