BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-22-2023, 02:48 PM   #1
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Resetting rear Brake Service interval issue

Using Bimmer Link to reset brake service levels, and the Fronts show that the next service in in 60k miles. The rear shows next service is in 3100 miles. Both show 100% life after the reset.

Is it normal for the rear to need serviced after 3100 miles after a reset?

Just curious
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

3,100 miles seems to be a number the useless tracker in IDrive gets stuck on all the time. Mine says that too, although I've not reset anything recently because I actually need new rear pads soon. Did you try resetting it w/o bimmerlink by just using the button by your cluster? But just know the IDrive system is not actually measuring anything on the brakes themselves. It's just a time/miles counter.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
3,100 miles seems to be a number the useless tracker in IDrive gets stuck on all the time. Mine says that too, although I've not reset anything recently because I actually need new rear pads soon. Did you try resetting it w/o bimmerlink by just using the button by your cluster? But just know the IDrive system is not actually measuring anything on the brakes themselves. It's just a time/miles counter.
Failed when trying to reset wit the instrument cluster. Had to try 4 times with Bimmer Link, and Bimmer Link said it failed. Exited the app and went back in and it said 100%, next due in 3100 miles.

The last time I changed them and reset it the app showed 40,000 miles.

Just seems weird to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 03:19 PM   #4
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Mann View Post
Failed when trying to reset wit the instrument cluster. Had to try 4 times with Bimmer Link, and Bimmer Link said it failed. Exited the app and went back in and it said 100%, next due in 3100 miles.

The last time I changed them and reset it the app showed 40,000 miles.

Just seems weird to me.
When you’re resetting the service indicator for the rear brakes using the dash buttons, remember you need to have the electric parking brake / hand brake OFF. Also it typically seems to prefer a new brake sensor being fitted.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:36 PM   #5
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoz View Post
When you’re resetting the service indicator for the rear brakes using the dash buttons, remember you need to have the electric parking brake / hand brake OFF. Also it typically seems to prefer a new brake sensor being fitted.
Done and done. Very familiar with the format.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 07:13 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Like already mentioned…the mileage to next brake pad replacement is an estimate….especially if there’s a GREEN icon associated with it. When it’s actual time to replace your brake pads…you get a specific warning with an AMBER icon …then if you still haven’t gotten it done and the brake sensor wears through….the icon turns RED along with a warning that the pads need to be replaced.

The mileage reminder is simply that…a reminder which appears quickly at start up then goes away. The actual warning to replace the brake pads will not go away (until pads & sensor are replaced and reset).

The warnings below are the one to focus on: (if these are the warnings you’re getting…then I stand corrected…but without an image of what you’re seeing…we are throwing darts at the board…basically making assumptions).

GREEN warning:

AMBER warning:

RED warning:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-25-2023 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 12:09 PM   #7
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, I know it is only an estimate.

But when I start the car and see that the next service is due in 3100 miles, and I have just done a complete service (oil, brakes, brake fluid, vehicle check, etc.) and reset all of the values as each item was complete....

I wonder why I need a service in 3100 miles, when my oil should be the closest one at ~12k.

Just annoying, was checking to see if anyone had a real answer to the reason it was 3100 with new brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #8
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Mann View Post
Yes, I know it is only an estimate.

Just annoying, was checking to see if anyone had a real answer to the reason it was 3100 with new brakes.
Good afternoon. Below is a quote from page 1 of the MAINTENANCE booklet that came with the owner’s manual. The measurements are dynamic and calculated on more than just miles driven.

The vehicle should be predicting based on your driving style and since RWD vehicles use rear brakes more heavily, perhaps you’ve been driving like a maniac lately?

All kidding aside, perhaps check it again in about 500 miles, and see how it changes taking into consideration your driving style.

Maintenance intervals on motor vehicles were conventionally based solely on a fixed time period or a specified amount of accumulated driving mileage. However, operational and driving conditions have a major influence on your vehicle’s routine maintenance requirements; the distance traveled is only one of these significant factors. A vehicle used for short trips in the city with numerous cold starts, prolonged periods of idling, stop-and-go driving, and high engine speeds during acceleration may require more frequent maintenance intervals than a vehicle that is driven long distances at moderate engine speeds. Your BMW vehicle uses sensors and algorithms together with the elapsed time and the driving distance/profile to monitor and evaluate your vehicle’s maintenance service needs. This information is then used to adapt dynamically the parameters used to forecast the applicable maintenance service task intervals.
      10-02-2023, 08:36 AM   #9
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLowSD View Post
Good afternoon. Below is a quote from page 1 of the MAINTENANCE booklet that came with the owner’s manual. The measurements are dynamic and calculated on more than just miles driven.

The vehicle should be predicting based on your driving style and since RWD vehicles use rear brakes more heavily, perhaps you’ve been driving like a maniac lately?

All kidding aside, perhaps check it again in about 500 miles, and see how it changes taking into consideration your driving style.

Maintenance intervals on motor vehicles were conventionally based solely on a fixed time period or a specified amount of accumulated driving mileage. However, operational and driving conditions have a major influence on your vehicle’s routine maintenance requirements; the distance traveled is only one of these significant factors. A vehicle used for short trips in the city with numerous cold starts, prolonged periods of idling, stop-and-go driving, and high engine speeds during acceleration may require more frequent maintenance intervals than a vehicle that is driven long distances at moderate engine speeds. Your BMW vehicle uses sensors and algorithms together with the elapsed time and the driving distance/profile to monitor and evaluate your vehicle’s maintenance service needs. This information is then used to adapt dynamically the parameters used to forecast the applicable maintenance service task intervals.

So, based on this reasoning.... and my driving style.....

My front brakes should last 60,000 miles, and my back brakes only 3100. I have not added one of those e-brake levers for drifting that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:17 AM   #10
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

hi.
i dont think its possible to reset the brake pad wear service miliage in idrive UNLESS you replace the brake pad wear sensor first..there is only one wear sensor per axle..approx £15 english..
the idrive has no bace setting for brake pad wear apart from assuming the pads are new when the wear sensor is replaced and then reset..wear calculations are then calculated from that .
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 03:36 PM   #11
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
hi.
i dont think its possible to reset the brake pad wear service miliage in idrive UNLESS you replace the brake pad wear sensor first..there is only one wear sensor per axle..approx £15 english..
the idrive has no bace setting for brake pad wear apart from assuming the pads are new when the wear sensor is replaced and then reset..wear calculations are then calculated from that .
It was replaced when brakes were replaced.

And you are wrong. I had reset it with the old brake pads on there while I was playing around with the app. I actually set the front brake service interval BEFORE i did the brake job. It might not have been supposed to work, but it did.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 05:03 PM   #12
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

When the rear brakes are reset, the indicator shows 47,000 miles. My indicator (and I stress it’s only an indicator) got “stuck” on 3,100 for thousands of miles and never reduced further. The pads were still fine - I do a lot of motorway driving. It’s a very loose guide; nothing beats checking them visually. When they were finally due to be replaced I changed discs, pads and the wear sensor and it reset as it should.

If your wear sensor hasn’t triggered, resetting the service indicator sometimes works, although if you’re in there changing pads etc the time and cost of a new sensor is negligible so why wouldn’t you change it. I’ve had the situation before (on a G30) where I replaced the pads and rear wear sensor (the old one hadn’t triggered) but they wouldn’t reset. I tried everything and finally resorted to replacing the “new” wear sensor and it then reset straight away.

For the sake of £10 or so and 15 mins work, I’d suggest buying another sensor and trying that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #13
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep

OK, Now the car is getting wierd.

For the past week the service interval warning for the rear brakes has increased by 100 miles each day. It started at 3100, and this morning it was at 3800....

I have never seen a car increase the service interval by driving it more...
Appreciate 0