BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
StreetCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550i 2013 M Sport

Reliability and Quality 650i N63TU vs 640i vs 640d

Dear All.

Coming from F10 550i I am interested in trading in my 13' 550i for an F06. I am literally disappointed with the technical reliability of the N63 (not N63TU) and of the F10 in common.
I've got completely new engine at only 34000 KM, new steering gear at merely 25000 KM.
It was only 2 positions, yes, that's right! Yet the severity is high and the shock was big! New engine??? Owning different BMW 5 series in 15+ years, it never happened to me before! All changes and replacement under warranty (Thanks God!!!). And now the brake begins to flutter and shake the car when braking
So I don't think I am gonna stay with my F10 for a longer time.

So folks, which F06 model has the best reliability? What do you think?
Please post your experiences with your 6 series (particularly GC).
Do you have (lots of) headache with your beloved 6?

Highly appreciate your participation!

Last edited by StreetCruiser; 06-16-2015 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
jwblack750
MBACPA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 640xi Gran Coupe

I was very interested in the 650xi GC, but I was concerned about reliability, too. I was coming off a '13 528xi, and I was not a fan of their new N20 engine, so I wanted more power and better sound with my next engine. My wife just got a '14 435xi, so I was familiar with the N55 engine. I liked the sound and performance, but I knew the 435 was quite a bit lighter than the 6 GC.

Anyway, my plan is to keep the 6er for a while, so I asked around on the forums, and I ended up having a BMW service tech tell me that the 640 is much more reliable than the 650. I didn't ask for specifics, because that was all I needed to hear. I'm very happy with my 640, but I did add a BMS intake and JB4 to give it a little extra oomph. I've thought about the BMW performance exhaust, but I like the black tips on the OEM exhaust.

Hopefully, you won't be disappointed with a step down from the 550, but what you lose in power, you gain in peace of mind. I haven't had a single issue with the F06, aside from a squeaky driver's seat (turned out to be a very, very easy DIY fix). If I were you, I'd go for the 640 GC without looking back! The only car I'd want beyond this one is the M6 GC.

I think the only thing I'd do different is to maybe get the B&O audio. I've got M-Sport, Executive Pkg, Cold Weather, Lighting Pkg...I think that's it. Here's a pic...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:21 AM   #3
StreetCruiser
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblack750 View Post
Hopefully, you won't be disappointed with a step down from the 550, but what you lose in power, you gain in peace of mind. I haven't had a single issue with the F06, aside from a squeaky driver's seat (turned out to be a very, very easy DIY fix). If I were you, I'd go for the 640 GC without looking back! The only car I'd want beyond this one is the M6 GC.

Hi jw.

Many thanks for your input; highly appreciate it!
Your car is awesome beautiful - one of the main reason why I am also hunting for an 6 series GC.

I just can't judge the power loss I will have. Never drive the engine in 640 (either diesel or petrol) before.
Currently I am eyeing an 640d GC with diesel engine. While the power output is significantly below 550i, the torque is even higher with the diesel.
One thing you are absolutely right with: the peace in mind is currently the one I am missing.
In Germany, the 6 cylinders (both diesel and petrol) seem also to be far less troublesome. But I am not sure. That's why I'd love to get some direct inputs from the F06 owners which mostly are in the states.

I am also considering getting the 650i GC with the newer V8 engine (with 450HP) - mine is the older one with 408 HP.
But from what I am reading in this forum, the N63TU appears to be quite fragile as well.

Which year is your F06 GC?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCruiser
Quote:

Hi jw.

Your car is awesome beautiful - one of the main reason why I am also hunting for an 6 series GC.

I just can't judge the power loss I will have. Never drive the engine in 640 (either diesel or petrol) before.
Currently I am eyeing an 640d GC with diesel engine. While the power output is significantly below 550i, the torque is even higher with the diesel.
One thing you are absolutely right with: the peace in mind is currently the one I am missing.
In Germany, the 6 cylinders (both diesel and petrol) seem also to be far less troublesome. But I am not sure. That's why I'd love to get some direct inputs from the F06 owners which mostly are in the states.

I am also considering getting the 650i GC with the newer V8 engine (with 450HP) - mine is the older one with 408 HP.
But from what I am reading in this forum, the N63TU appears to be quite fragile as well.

My lunch hour analysis:

1. I have 740Ld.
2. I have been driving petrol 750s since 2005.
3. The 740Ld has significantly less HP and nearly the same torque as 750.
4. But, by far, the diesel is a total blast to drive.
5. Imagine hammering your engine, having fun, only to find out your getting 500 to 700 miles per tank!
6. Every 750 I ever had, e66 and f02 seemed to have this horrible lag. Yes, they were quick, but it was either 0 or 60. The 750s always felt non responsive. But, you could still go fast.
7. Not so with the 740Ld! It feels like a super car between 0 and 30mph. Plus, it seems to just want to go and go. I have no top speed limiter. The most amazing thing about BMW diesels: the faster you go, the quieter the engine gets. At speed it feels like a jet, as you only hear wind noise.

In the 750, there is no fun factor between 0 and 60 due to the lag. After 5 seconds, the 750 gets fun, but suddenly you're at speed---no much else you can really do at 80 mph.
8. But, the diesel has so much responsiveness, you can have a blast doing 30 mph around the twistys!
9. Long trips are a dream! Imagine filling up twice for a 1200 mile trip.
10. Imagine having fun at 0 to 40!
That's the diesel way.
11. The only time the diesel sounds like a diesel is at idle through 10 mph. After that, it has a deep rich sound.
12. The diesel is not as refined, but it's 10x funner than a petrol.

I don't miss the loss of hp! But, if BMW ever made a bigger diesel for the 7 in the future I would consider it.

Diesel = fun!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
jwblack750
MBACPA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 640xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCruiser View Post
Hi jw.

Am I about to eat my words? Maybe. First of all, I have (ok, had) a 2014 F06 GC. I absolutely loved that car, and have only lusted after an M...either an M5 or M6 GC, as I said in my first post.

With that said, yesterday I ended up trading my GC in for a 2015 M5. Oh...my...dear...butt...dyno...ever....loving...fu n...factor...ear...to...ear...smiling...face!!! That was my first experience with a car having anything more than 400 hp. OK...I've had motorcycles that would do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds or less, and I love acceleration, but I've never had a car that pulls, and pulls hard.

Soooooo...I'm really starting to appreciate your dilemma with giving up the power. BUT, I would still stick to my guns that I'd rather go all out with an M car OR have the peace of mind with the more reliable engine. I forget if you mentioned, are you leasing or buying? If it's a lease, then go with the 650...who cares, right? But, I'm assuming you're considering a purchase, and that's where I would go with a 640 all day, every day. It has plenty of power, and you'll see that the 6-series is more about refinement than it is power. It is an absolute dream to sit in. What you get from the 6-series is: amazing cockpit; head-turning stares from people on the road; ear-to-ear grins over the styling, inside and out. If you were getting a 5-series, I'd lean towards the 550, since they are more commonplace, and I'd like to stand out with power.

Anyway, that's my rambling for you today! Lastly, and at the risk of it looking like I'm bragging, which I'm really not....here's the new toy....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
daiyanadam
Rep
Drives: 640i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
^That my friend is a real beauty! (HUGE fan of the M5)

Apart from that - I had a Mercedes S550 (2013) and moved to a 640i xDrive - there is a big difference in power but I'd still say it's so much more fun to drive!! You don't need a bigger engine if you're not going out on the track so go with the 640 instead of 650! It's more reliable, and more fuel efficient
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 02:37 AM   #7
StreetCruiser
Private
Rep

Quote:
Am I about to eat my words? Maybe. First of all, I have (ok, had) a 2014 F06 GC. I absolutely loved that car, and have only lusted after an M...either an M5 or M6 GC, as I said in my first post.

With that said, yesterday I ended up trading my GC in for a 2015 M5. Oh...my...dear...butt...dyno...ever....loving...fu n...factor...ear...to...ear...smiling...face!!! That was my first experience with a car having anything more than 400 hp. OK...I've had motorcycles that would do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds or less, and I love acceleration, but I've never had a car that pulls, and pulls hard.

Soooooo...I'm really starting to appreciate your dilemma with giving up the power. BUT, I would still stick to my guns that I'd rather go all out with an M car OR have the peace of mind with the more reliable engine. I forget if you mentioned, are you leasing or buying? If it's a lease, then go with the 650...who cares, right? But, I'm assuming you're considering a purchase, and that's where I would go with a 640 all day, every day. It has plenty of power, and you'll see that the 6-series is more about refinement than it is power. It is an absolute dream to sit in. What you get from the 6-series is: amazing cockpit; head-turning stares from people on the road; ear-to-ear grins over the styling, inside and out. If you were getting a 5-series, I'd lean towards the 550, since they are more commonplace, and I'd like to stand out with power.

Anyway, that's my rambling for you today! Lastly, and at the risk of it looking like I'm bragging, which I'm really not....here's the new toy....
Hi jw.

Congratulation for your new M5!
Good choice on colour! Love it. But to my taste, it's too bad that the rims are black. Look too much like winter rims.
I prefer the classical look with silver rims (attached is my 550i).

I indeed took an M5 into consideration. It's quite strange but the F10 M5 with its S63TU appears to be more reliable than its bros N63. At least in the internet I hardly found or read an article on a defect S63TU.
But the maintenance and operative cost blench me away from purchasing/owning one. Powerwise the 550i, even the older version with only 408HP, is more than satisfactory. Even on the German autobahn, I rarely have a single chance to slam on the gas and enjoy the whole 408HP and its thrusting 600Nm/442 ft lb.
So the M5 will give me no further sense, neither powerwise nor speedwise.

So enjoy your M5!
Attached Images

Last edited by StreetCruiser; 08-03-2015 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

From all the research I have done, the N63TU revision has resolved the issues of the earlier N63. If your buying a F12/F13 650 get a 2013 forward. The 2014 forward is the better way to go with the money saving Sport Edition & enhancements like the digital dash, forward collision warning, Idrive 4.2 upgrade and driver safety enhancements.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #9
StreetCruiser
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
From all the research I have done, the N63TU revision has resolved the issues of the earlier N63. If your buying a F12/F13 650 get a 2013 forward. The 2014 forward is the better way to go with the money saving Sport Edition & enhancements like the digital dash, forward collision warning, Idrive 4.2 upgrade and driver safety enhancements.
WOW - beautiful car and very clean!
And almost in the same shoot angle as mine

Drop it a littl bit and it will be perfect! Some moderate spacers will do the rest!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #10
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCruiser View Post
WOW - beautiful car and very clean!
And almost in the same shoot angle as mine

Drop it a littl bit and it will be perfect! Some moderate spacers will do the rest!
Thanks, and I am happy with the height, don't see any reason to mess with her!
Appreciate 0