BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-06-2023, 08:28 AM   #1
SoundWaves
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

2012 650i Adaptive LED - Left Low Beam and DRL Malfunction

Hello all,
Shortly after purchasing my 650 I lost the drivers side headlight. After a few trips to the small dealer I purchased the car from I have deemed them useless and will need to handle the repair. I have done a ton of research so I have a decent idea of common failures etc. but can't find much on this model specifically. Seems like the module under the light is a common failure due to moisture. Before I dig into this project I would like to know a few things as my research results are spotty at best.

So first off - any advice or methodical troubleshooting techniques would be great.

Here are a few more specific questions:

In this year/model I assume the control module if replaced will need to be coded to the car. I would assume that the light would not work at all until this happens, is this correct? If so, what would be the best suited coding software that I could purchase to complete the job?

Can any of the modules/parts be swapped side to side (with no coding) to assist in pinpointing the problem?

Is there anywhere I can get an exploded view of the headlamp with part numbers? Every search I do leads back to the HID style headlamp.

Another observation is that it acts as though there is a short, and the light is turning off for protection. For example if I turn on the high beams the light will come on for a second and then shut off. However it will not display an error for high beam, just low.
Also, just FYI. This does happen in both auto and manual setting, additionally it was not an intermittent problem (since I have owned it). The low beam stopped working and has been out ever since (about a month).

I could probably add more context but this is entirely to lengthy already.
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You can find the parts diagram and part numbers at RealOEM.com Just plug in the last 7 of your VIN, go to the Lighting section, and under there is a "Single Parts" diagram. You can check the part numbers to see if any are the same number for right and left.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:15 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I just looked at the instructions to replace the main module and it does require coding. ISTA is the best, but there are others. I've never obtained a program that can code at that level because I have not yet needed to. But there are a number of users here who have so they may chime in or you can run some searches in the forum or other forums since coding software is not model-dependent.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #4
SoundWaves
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You can find the parts diagram and part numbers at RealOEM.com Just plug in the last 7 of your VIN, go to the Lighting section, and under there is a "Single Parts" diagram. You can check the part numbers to see if any are the same number for right and left.
Thanks, that's a good start and all around useful tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
got the module if you need $300 from dealer I bought it n then lady crashed into my car so its been sitting lol im in ny
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:07 PM   #6
SoundWaves
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
got the module if you need $300 from dealer I bought it n then lady crashed into my car so its been sitting lol im in ny
Do you have the PN?

I am looking for the 63117316216 (or 63117305236, original PN) according to the diagram (Fits 2010-2015 I think).

is it new or used?

Last edited by SoundWaves; 06-09-2023 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 09:42 AM   #7
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWaves View Post
Hello all,
Shortly after purchasing my 650 I lost the drivers side headlight. After a few trips to the small dealer I purchased the car from I have deemed them useless and will need to handle the repair. I have done a ton of research so I have a decent idea of common failures etc. but can't find much on this model specifically. Seems like the module under the light is a common failure due to moisture. Before I dig into this project I would like to know a few things as my research results are spotty at best.

So first off - any advice or methodical troubleshooting techniques would be great.

Here are a few more specific questions:

In this year/model I assume the control module if replaced will need to be coded to the car. I would assume that the light would not work at all until this happens, is this correct? If so, what would be the best suited coding software that I could purchase to complete the job?

Can any of the modules/parts be swapped side to side (with no coding) to assist in pinpointing the problem?

Is there anywhere I can get an exploded view of the headlamp with part numbers? Every search I do leads back to the HID style headlamp.

Another observation is that it acts as though there is a short, and the light is turning off for protection. For example if I turn on the high beams the light will come on for a second and then shut off. However it will not display an error for high beam, just low.
Also, just FYI. This does happen in both auto and manual setting, additionally it was not an intermittent problem (since I have owned it). The low beam stopped working and has been out ever since (about a month).

I could probably add more context but this is entirely to lengthy already.
Thanks in advance!
I had the same problem as you, it comes on for 1 second and turns off and then a low beam error. As you said its a very common problem. I think it's because the drivers side left light has the high beam assist and tends to fail quicker (just a theory).

You can swap the modules over from the right headlight to see if it solves your problem (bit of a pain though as you have to take the bumper off, and reaching to some of those screws at the back of the headlight is a nightmare). Unfortunately, it didn't help in my case. My modules were fine. I ended up ordering a new headlight online and it solved the problem. I reckon you might have the same problem sorry to say.. It's an expensive pain that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 03:12 PM   #8
SoundWaves
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz12 View Post
I had the same problem as you, it comes on for 1 second and turns off and then a low beam error. As you said its a very common problem. I think it's because the drivers side left light has the high beam assist and tends to fail quicker (just a theory).

You can swap the modules over from the right headlight to see if it solves your problem (bit of a pain though as you have to take the bumper off, and reaching to some of those screws at the back of the headlight is a nightmare). Unfortunately, it didn't help in my case. My modules were fine. I ended up ordering a new headlight online and it solved the problem. I reckon you might have the same problem sorry to say.. It's an expensive pain that's for sure.
Yea like it or not, I feel the same way. The fact that high and low beam work for second before the error, screams short in the fixture to me. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 06:18 PM   #9
SoundWaves
United_States
Rep

Well.. I was able to find a replacement assembly complete with modules on eBay for a "fair" price. Did the swap today using all my modules and everything is working like a charm! Not a bad project to swap, 2 of the headlamp screws are a bit tough but manageable. Thanks All!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 04:12 AM   #10
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well.. I was able to find a replacement assembly complete with modules on eBay for a "fair" price. Did the swap today using all my modules and everything is working like a charm! Not a bad project to swap, 2 of the headlamp screws are a bit tough but manageable. Thanks All!
Awesome. How much did you manage to find it for? I think I got mine from AliExpress China for $560.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #11
SoundWaves
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz12 View Post
Awesome. How much did you manage to find it for? I think I got mine from AliExpress China for $560.
Wow, thats a deal. I paid a little over $1300 for the light and modules. Seems about the going rate these days for an empty one in decent shape. Happy to have some spare parts now too.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 08:04 AM   #12
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wow, thats a deal. I paid a little over $1300 for the light and modules. Seems about the going rate these days for an empty one in decent shape. Happy to have some spare parts now too.
Ah yes I remember on eBay they were very expensive kinda in the range you mentioned. The only reason I replaced it is because I managed to find an "acceptable" price. But mine came without modules. Anyway, glad yours is working now, I know it's a relief!
Appreciate 0