BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #1
PhantomXone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 640i GC & E46 M3

2015 640i F06 Gran Coupe Sunroof side guard rip/Repair?

Has anyone else experienced this type of rip on their sunroofs and repaired it? I believe its called the left/right side gaiter. If so how much was the repair bill? Thinking about just ripping it the rest of the way towards the back and calling it a day.
Attached Images

Last edited by PhantomXone; 10-04-2023 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #2
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

i did mine a couple of weeks ago..i replaced left and right outer consatina rubber bellows...you definately need to get some spare clips that hold the coloured exterior roof trim on as they break easy..also be VERY careful taking these roof trims off..they kink really easily..
i looked all over the internet and only found one video on youtube how to do it..
it took me almost an hour but i was going really carefull.
you need a tx25 torx driver and a pic tool and plastic trim remover tool.
in the video he shows pushing down on the glass to tighten it to mechanism,but i just put a 4kg weight on each side.
dificulty 4/10..
the youtube video is titled "how to replace any bmw sunroof rubber boot liner instructions.he does it on a fo6 650i but the pano roof is same as a f13.
in the uk the rubber bellows were £34 uk each.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
PhantomXone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
i did mine a couple of weeks ago..i replaced left and right outer consatina rubber bellows...you definately need to get some spare clips that hold the coloured exterior roof trim on as they break easy..also be VERY careful taking these roof trims off..they kink really easily..
i looked all over the internet and only found one video on youtube how to do it..
it took me almost an hour but i was going really carefull.
you need a tx25 torx driver and a pic tool and plastic trim remover tool.
in the video he shows pushing down on the glass to tighten it to mechanism,but i just put a 4kg weight on each side.
dificulty 4/10..
the youtube video is titled "how to replace any bmw sunroof rubber boot liner instructions.he does it on a fo6 650i but the pano roof is same as a f13.
in the uk the rubber bellows were £34 uk each.

Yes! perfect video of what I needed! Doesn't look too hard either so I'll be doing this repair my self. Thanks again my man!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2023, 05:04 PM   #4
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

i took the coloured exterior roof trims off first..there are 7 clips on each side equally spaced,.do not lift the trim upwards too much when its connected to a clip,this is how you kink it.
once you have the roof trim off ,the front 4 clips hold the rubber bellows on..these clips are adjustable with a pin in a diaganal slide.mark the position of the pin on the clip with a marker...when putting the trim back on make sure you dont trap the rear windscreen rubber under the trim.
after i removed the roof rail trims i removed both sides internal rubber bellows..they just pull towards you top and bottom with a pic tool with the roof opened normally.
the screws you remove ( 2 each side )are fitted with locktite.so they dont vibrate loose.
an hour should be ample time..
there are 3 different types of clips under the exterior coloured roof rail.a single red clip at each side level with the back of the glass and 2 types of grey clips.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2023, 09:27 PM   #5
Infamous039
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Xdrive35i M-Sport

I too have to replace mine, they both have rips. Heres the youtube video as mentioned above. https://youtu.be/Lv9-09wPYtU?si=9mBr1unpAXo3Sc9d
96 Camry (Daily Ride)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 08:31 PM   #6
PhantomXone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous039 View Post
I too have to replace mine, they both have rips. Heres the youtube video as mentioned above. https://youtu.be/Lv9-09wPYtU?si=9mBr1unpAXo3Sc9d
Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 1