BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-10-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

Car not detecting parking spot

I own a 2015 LCI 640i coupe with surround view cameras S5DL & PDC S508. When looking for a parking spot and push the P, it never detects a spot, thus not being able to park itself either. What could cause it? Is there a radar in windshield that looks for the parking spots and it is not working, maybe?

Another thing, when I engage the reverse gear, it doesn't (sometimes it does!) connect to rear camera before I push the camera button on the menu, that appears. What's the logic here? When reversing, I want to see what's behind, not a surround view. In fact I never found the surround view good for something.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 07:42 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Have you pressed down on your iDrive controller knob? If you haven’t, it will go from surround view to rearview. If memory serves correct…whatever the last viewing position…that’s what it returns to. So if you want rear view but what you have is top down view, simply press the iDrive controller knob downward to see if it switches.,

If you have the parking assist feature (5DP)…the sensors for that system is integrated into the trim pieces where the turn indicators are located on each front fender (if you are pre LCI). If you are LCI and your side turn indicators are incorporated into your side view mirrors…then the sensors are still located in those trim pieces on each front fender.

I thought option code 508 was the front rear PDC sensors…which is not self parking…but just the beeping when you get close to an object (front/side/rear).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-10-2023 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You are the opposite of me. I use surround view all the time, and only sometimes use the rear camera. Surround view is indispensable when parking this big boat near a curb.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
…Surround view is indispensable when parking this big boat near a curb.
Ditto, I was going to write the same thing…but I couldn’t find the images I took of the top down view next to a curb.

It could also depend on where you live/drive…because if there aren’t that many curbed drives/streets, or parking lots with curbed islands…it may not be an issue.

But like you mention…I learned to utilize the top down cameras to help prevent curbing my wheels and tires when parked near curbed islands or running into curbed entrance & exit drives of commercial establishments, or a curb when street parking. It is also helpful lining up properly in a parking space…especially if you want to avoid possible door dings from a car that looks like they don’t care about their car or anyone else’s car.

EDIT…found the pics
1. Top down view allows you to determine how close to the concrete curb you are…and how far you are from the parking space line(s)
2. Top down view allows you to see how close you are to the concerte curb as you back out (or into) a parking space so not to curb your wheels/tires
3. Top down view allows you to see entrance/exit curbs so that you don’t run into them if other cars are entering/exiting…or if the angle of the driveway doesn’t allow you to see exactly where the curb is locastred
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-12-2023 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 12:19 AM   #5
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you have the parking assist feature (5DP)…the sensors for that system is integrated into the trim pieces where the turn indicators are located on each front fender (if you are pre LCI). If you are LCI and your side turn indicators are incorporated into your side view mirrors…then the sensors are still located in those trim pieces on each front fender.

I thought option code 508 was the front rear PDC sensors…which is not self parking…but just the beeping when you get close to an object (front/side/rear).
Sensors in fender...what what are the odds that both sides malfunction at the same time?
I also find it hard to believe that this kind of car could have come out of factory without parking function.
Somebody told that as soon as there's the camera, the car can park itself...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 08:22 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, these cars did not come from the factory with every option. There was a list of options that could be selected…in your case, it appears that assisted parking (S5DP) wasn’t ordered.

You do have top down (surround view) and the PDC options…you just don’t have the self parking option. The self parking option also wasn’t available on the AWD models because they have a hybrid steering system that is part electronics/part hydraulic. The self parking feature requires a 100% electronic steering system.

Appreciate 0