BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
araithat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 650i gran coupe m sport

Sound System Upgrade (premium HIFI system)

Hi All,

I was looking to get some input from people who have upgraded their OEM sound systems or have knowledge on this topic.

I have the "premium hifi system" in my 650i gran coupe, which I believe comes standard. I do not really like the output it is giving me, which is why I want to modify.

I am looking to do something along the lines of the following:

- 5 channel JL vx1000/5i amplifier (built in DSP)
- front stage using Focal components
- JL FIX 86 (if needed)
- JL 12TW3 with a prefab box from JL in the trunk

From my understanding, it would be best to disconnect the middle speaker and should improve sound staging. Also, I plan to keep the rear cabin speakers OEM as I hear it will make very little difference in overall quality.

1. Is the JL FIX86 needed to get flat signals? From some researching, it seems like it may not be necessary since the HIFI system may already have flat eq

2. Has anyone retrofitted bigger speakers? From my understanding, the current speakers up front (with the exception of the middle one) are 4"

3. I have heard from an installer that doing a project like this may mess with the electrical system, which I don't really agree with if it is done correctly. Is there any merit to this?

Any answers to these questions and/or general input would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

To my knowledge very few people have done audio upgrades around. Just about everyone limits it to plug and play systems from bavauto. You will have a lot more luck going to a specialty shop and talking to them. If you want more help online you may want to go to the f10 4 door forum and ask around there.

Far as messing with the electrical system causing issues? Yup, you can have a lot of issues due to BMW's fancy setup. You really want someone that works with new BMWs and Rolls Royce. The price to benefit ratio leads many to just abandon the project.

What do you plan on doing with the woofers under the seats? Bypass or array?

Good luck and if you do manage to get a 12w3 back there post some pics and reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
araithat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 650i gran coupe m sport

It does appear that very few have done audio upgrades. As far as Bavsound...I have heard mixed reviews and am just not sure I want to go that route since other brands a far better reputation and sound quality (I think)

I would probably bypass the woofers under the seats and solely run the JL audio subwoofer. Just to clarify I am going to go with the 12tw3 rather than the 12w3 because I still need my trunk space.

I am trying to pre-plan to project as much as possible so I do not end up spending too much without any results. I hope to have a success story for everyone in the next few weeks!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
digidoc1010
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by araithat View Post
It does appear that very few have done audio upgrades. As far as Bavsound...I have heard mixed reviews and am just not sure I want to go that route since other brands a far better reputation and sound quality (I think)

I would probably bypass the woofers under the seats and solely run the JL audio subwoofer. Just to clarify I am going to go with the 12tw3 rather than the 12w3 because I still need my trunk space.

I am trying to pre-plan to project as much as possible so I do not end up spending too much without any results. I hope to have a success story for everyone in the next few weeks!
One thing you might consider is instead of bypassing the under seat woofers, just add an inline filter and turn them into mid-bass drivers.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007BB1...z-cut-off.html

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

I did a full bavsound upgrade in my previous car which was an f10 5 series. I thought it was a fantastic upgrade. I currently have the B&O in my 6 series, and initially I did not like it so much, but have changed out the underseat speakers to the Bavsound ones and it is much much better than it was stock, but I think the Bav upgrade in my f10 sounded better than my upgraded B&O.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I did a full bavsound upgrade in my previous car which was an f10 5 series. I thought it was a fantastic upgrade. I currently have the B&O in my 6 series, and initially I did not like it so much, but have changed out the underseat speakers to the Bavsound ones and it is much much better than it was stock, but I think the Bav upgrade in my f10 sounded better than my upgraded B&O.
I did the same upgrade in my 2011 F10: clearly an improvement (in particular the ghost underseat woofer upgrade added some of the wide spectrum of missing frequencies, and a tiny bit more dynamic range) but you're starting from tinny junk. The upgraded sound system remains totally anemic and unsatisfying, and it just kills me to get into other manufacturer's cars and realize just how far back BMW's are. I just can't understand what BMW is thinking. And I wish the Bavauto upgrades were a 10th as good the advertising makes them out to be.
Appreciate 0