BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
comparing DB11 volante

So i got a DB11 Volante loaner for a week for a shoot i'm doing. Drove it from LA to Sacramento to get it home. Wow, what a car! Of course, had to compare it to the M6..

Loves:
-the exhaust, oh my lord.. The AMG V8 is glorious. Especially in sport plus mode, have not heard anything as good. Just ferocious.
-Looks; nothing looks better on the road, nothing..
-the convertible is slick, fast, and easy use, nice to have in California
-feels extremely light despite being 4100 or so lbs
-really agile with its weight, suspension is amazing - comfortable yet damps really well. Was impressed that the convertible had such a tight chassis.
-the motor does not feel like a turbo motor at all; it totally feels naturally aspirated. And definitely sounds like it.
-500bhp did not feel anemic at all compared to the m6. It was nice to floor it and be able to put that power down lol. Keep in mind this can be ECU tuned too just like the 6, so a proper tuned motor will be nuts!
-side mirrors/cameras make visibility easy
-surprised at how agile the car is in direction changes and just general poise; definitely makes the M6 feels sluggish in that regard.

Hates:

-interior wasn't impressive, to be honest. Its nice, but its just blue leather everywhere, which doesnt necessarily translate into an overall great cockpit
-mercedes infotainment SUCKS, super hard to use/figure out and i'm technically savvy. BMW just gets it right (audi too)
-I do think the m6 has a better interior; from the lighting to the design, etc. Seats are definietly more comfortable in m6..
-luggage space is a joke (convertible)

Overall, for slaying miles as a GT car and a daily driver, the M6 is obviously better. Much, much better.

The Aston does a good job with its cabin insulation and despite having a cloth top, theres good damping of exterior elements. I can see the coupe being a real contender as a good GT, but the seats/interior just dont feel comfortable nor have the full featureset as the M6.

For feeling special, and just having a soundtrack out of this world, this is the car to have though. Nothing beats the Aston's looks/brand image. And its a genuinely good drivers car. I just thought the techfest and comfort would be a bit better, that was my only let down. Its a proper drivers car though!
Just some quick thoughts as I drove 400 miles yesterday. Will share pics.

Last edited by spikespiegel; 04-10-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
spikespiegel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 comp

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
markymarc1979
Banned