BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
nealsil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M Sport

2013 F13 M Sport Exhaust problems or not?

Hi all, would appreciate to know similar experiences please. Brought my car in today to have the above checked. On deceleration in any mode i can hear a gurgling/popping sound coming from the exhaust. Seems to happen in any drive type I'm in: sport or comfort. Now the gurgling sounds kinda cool but the popping sounds like a back fire to me. So BMW changed all the plugs and when i picked up the car, same sounds, no difference at all. So i met with the foreman of the service center and says he compared the car to another 650 and they both make the same noise. And that he can't find anything wrong with the car. I've read on another forum that this is meant to be or "normal"? I understand the whole throaty aggressive sound of an exhaust thing and i like that but to me this doesn't sound right. Anyone else have experience with this? Btw, i have the M-sport package if that matters.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Sounds like the "flapper" valves at the exit of the mufflers are wired open or are broken in the open position (unlikely). Mine sure doesn't do this.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
vaio23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650I

Our exhaust pop/crackle normally when you step off the gas. This is normal, I don't know if you are getting louder or different noises? I like the sound and would like it to be louder.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
nealsil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M Sport

Hi I guess "normal" is what my concern is. I just don't think a car is supposed to sound like it's back firing sometimes. Again some people say it should while others say it shouldn't. The BMW service center still has my car and were going to call a BMW engineer to consult on this. Who knows if that'll even happen.
Appreciate 0