BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #1
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

New car, few questions...

Hi,

I've had my (used) 640d coupe for 2 weeks now and love everything about it. The best car I've ever owned by a long margin. The luxury, comfort, quality and tech is what made me want the car. It's pretty well spec'd with HUD, Adaptive Drive/Dampers, Full LED headlights, soft close doors, surround camera's, etc. etc.

The power delivery is amazing, pulls smoothly from standstill through the gears and quickly into triple figures if not paying attention, however due to the smoothness of the acceleration doing 40-80mph is so smooth it's almost not noticeable.

While it's plenty powerful, and has all of the acceleration you need, I'm still interested in hearing about people's experience with remapping. There seems to be little info available online, but the two companies I've been looking at are Evolve and BSR.

Anyone have any first hand experience with either of these or other remaps?

I'll be putting EBC Redstuff pads all around soon, as the pads on the car (I assume OEM) are very dusty. I can't find any after market discs, such as slotted EBC or Brembo. I was mainly looking for aesthetics, as the current discs have almost no wear. Anyone know of any improved performance / look discs retaining the original size and calipers?

I have aluminium swirl interior trim, and wondered how difficult it is to remove it all, as I was considering having it professionally painted Piano black, mirror polished, then ceramic coated to prevent it being scratched or adding swirls when cleaning.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Hi mate, I had my 640d remapped at Jf Automotive a few months back and it transformed it. It wasn't slow before but I wanted some more grunt as you do haha
Also I had the m6 active sound coded which suits having it remapped well too!
My car ran 254bhp & 494nm of torque to the rear wheels standard and after the map it ran 305bhp to the wheels and 575nm which converts to roughly 365-385bhp & 700-730nm torque.
Midrange is very impressive and not much can touch it around over taking speeds.
0-60 was 5 secs now is 4.4 secs
0-100 was 12.5 now is 10.2 secs but I'm not sure about over 100 as I haven't been over to Germany with it yet but I'm sure it will fly.
My friend has a e92 m3 and around license keeping speeds overall the 640d is quicker and has so much more useable power on hand but obviously after 70mph the m3 will be slightly quicker but as a example it shows the potential of a mapped Diesel Six.

Mpg wise when the urge to use the power which is hard to resist I averaged 23mpg on a tank which was mostly around town and heavy on the loud pedal. On a 150mile journey at 65mph it achieved 56mpg as a average.

I'm really happy with the traction too considering how much torque it has and me too this is the best car I've ever had.
Attached Images

05-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Have you put any pictures up of your new beast yet?
      05-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
Midrange is very impressive and not much can touch it around over taking speeds.
0-60 was 5 secs now is 4.4 secs
0-100 was 12.5 now is 10.2 secs but I'm not sure about over 100 as I haven't been over to Germany with it yet but I'm sure it will fly.
My friend has a e92 m3 and around license keeping speeds overall the 640d is quicker and has so much more useable power on hand but obviously after 70mph the m3 will be slightly quicker but as a example it shows the potential of a mapped Diesel Six.

Mpg wise when the urge to use the power which is hard to resist I averaged 23mpg on a tank which was mostly around town and heavy on the loud pedal. On a 150mile journey at 65mph it achieved 56mpg as a average.

I'm really happy with the traction too considering how much torque it has and me too this is the best car I've ever had.
Thanks, just the sort of info I was looking for

Sorry, but as the forum is quite quiet and you're the only taker, I have a few more questions.

Does the remap affect the characteristics in Comfort / + and Eco modes, or mainly just in Sport / +? I like the sedate, comfort on the traffic packed drive into work, with smooth low rev gear changes, so wouldn't want to compromise it and it feel like it's always in Sport mode.

Did you get the gearbox mapped too, or leave as standard?

Are you running the RFT's? I am currently, but am considering swapping to a more performance tyre such as PSS or Vorti's.

How much and how long did it take to remap? (Answer via pm if you prefer)

Lastly, was it a bespoke map or generic, and what made you choose JF Automotive?

Thanks

ps. No pics as yet. I haven't really taken any yet. Once it's sunny I'll try to get some taken.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is my beast Paul
Attached Images

05-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep

Nice. That's one hell of a mirror shine!

This is from the advert for mine, hence a little small and before the alloys were refurbished.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
chris.t
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640d msport

Garage List
Nice looking car you have there and a decent spec to

Present 2014 BMW 640d msport
Previous 2012 BMW X5 30d msport

Last edited by chris.t; 05-24-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6coupe
Nice. That's one hell of a mirror shine!

This is from the advert for mine, hence a little small and before the alloys were refurbished.

Looks good
You don't see many silver 6's around.
      05-24-2016, 06:06 AM   #9
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

Nice, very similar to mine but I've got the GC. Enjoy her