BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
darry07
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6 gc

anti-theft

Hi guys,

Any suggestions on anti-theft equipment for a 2015 m6 gc? Thank you.

Last edited by darry07; 02-08-2018 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

You already have an alarm and GPS on the car...what else are you thinking?
      02-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #3
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Wheel locks are pretty typical.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
BlackBavarian
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Moving the ODB port is something the previous owner did to my car. Also if you have keyless entry keep your keys in a pouch to block the signal as in the UK we have had many thefts by capturing the signal emitted from the keys.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
darry07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
You already have an alarm and GPS on the car...what else are you thinking?
well, both of my new escalades had an alarm with motion sensors and OnStar in them and both were stolen. a painful process to say the least. any suggestions are most welcome. thanks, guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
darry07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBavarian View Post
Moving the ODB port is something the previous owner did to my car. Also if you have keyless entry keep your keys in a pouch to block the signal as in the UK we have had many thefts by capturing the signal emitted from the keys.

where would I find these pouches?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
BMWRog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Try something like this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Key-S...0AAOSw9qJadhPE

However, what I use is a small metal box with lid. Once in the house, I slip the key in the box, close the lid, and JOB DONE! Any metal box with a lid will do. You could also wrap the key in aluminium foil (known in the UK as Baco foil). The idea is to screen the signal given off by the key.

Another added security method I use when I have to park in a vulnerable public place is to fit a steering wheel lock. Something like this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...sAAOSwlMFZNWha

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
darry07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRog View Post
Try something like this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Key-S...0AAOSw9qJadhPE

However, what I use is a small metal box with lid. Once in the house, I slip the key in the box, close the lid, and JOB DONE! Any metal box with a lid will do. You could also wrap the key in aluminium foil (known in the UK as Baco foil). The idea is to screen the signal given off by the key.

Another added security method I use when I have to park in a vulnerable public place is to fit a steering wheel lock. Something like this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...sAAOSwlMFZNWha

Good luck.

thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #9
3rdCoastBMW
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darry07 View Post
thank you very much.
I only have a single key fob and lost it. I called every single locksmith in Houston, not a single one could get into the car to start it.

As long as they don't have your key, the car is impossible to steal.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
darry07
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastBMW View Post
I only have a single key fob and lost it. I called every single locksmith in Houston, not a single one could get into the car to start it.

As long as they don't have your key, the car is impossible to steal.
really? that is awesome!! I am in Houston as well. Thank you very much for the insight. have you had any trouble in Houston with car theft prior to your m6?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #11
Audioguy
Private
Rep
Drives: M4|5|6

Theft of a modern BMW is possible with the right electronic equipment. This will require the would be thieves having proximity access to your keyfob to capture the "passive" RFID code which would allow them to gain access inside the vehicle, start it and drive away. For reference this can be done from outside your home when your key's inside, assuming you leave your fob close enough to the exterior walls of the residence.

They can also use the same equipment to capture the transmitted RF signal of your remote if you use it to lock and unlock the vehicle, in order to gain access to the interior of the car. The transmitter signal alone however will not allow them to start the vehicle.

The most likely ways your car could be stolen are:

1. Interception of your keyfob's RFID (the pouch suggested above will mitigate this risk, assuming you use it religiously)
2. A flat bed truck.

If you want to go full doomsday, and don't mind using a hard key to lock and unlock your door, you can pop the battery out of your remote control, and use the built in metal key to get in and out of the vehicle, and hold the fob up to the steering column to start it.

This works because it removes the power source for the RFID signal booster, reducing its effective range from several feet to less than 2 inches.

I'd focus more on where you park it, what kind of foot traffic and lighting are in those areas, etc. more than any of the above. Environmental deterrents are far more effective.

Bottom line if they want it, they will take it, but you don't have to outrun the bear, just be faster than your buddies.

-Audio
2002 M5 Blue Water | Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a question, will this key scanner device pick up cars frequency with comfort access or ones without too ??

Reason being that is shield my m6 key that has comfort access but my 4 series is left in the hall way with no shielding

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
Audioguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Just a question, will this key scanner device pick up cars frequency with comfort access or ones without too ??

Reason being that is shield my m6 key that has comfort access but my 4 series is left in the hall way with no shielding

Thanks
Correct, any vehicle with a proximity key sensing ignition system is susceptible to being intercepted. the signal generated by the keyfob is the same for a CA or non-CA equiped car. The difference with a comfort access equipped vehicle is a series of receivers designed to sense the keyfob's proximity to the exterior of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Audioguy
Private
Rep

Here's a video of how it's done. Bad Guy no. 1 stands by the car with the transmitter, while Bad Guy no. 2 approaches the residence to read the keyfob's signal. His handheld then relays that signal to the transmitter near the car, and the car unlocks/starts as if they had the key in their pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pffcngJJq0

For those of you looking for an added layer of security, here is an option that will supplement simple environmental measures:

As automotive tech. has gotten more sophisticated, its made it nearly impossible to steal a car the old fashion way (hot wiring). This has evolved car thieves into experts of software & computer hardware vs. automotive 12 volt circuitry.
As a result using a simple old trick from yesteryear will be very effective against modern thieves. What I'm suggesting is having a fuel cut-off circuit installed in your vehicle. This is simply a hidden switch that cuts power to your fuel pump.
It's rudimentary, but highly effective given thieves will never expect it in a modern car... nor will it be easy for them to find, if it's installed properly.

-Audio

Last edited by Audioguy; 02-20-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:31 AM   #15
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes that footage was taken not far from where i live and has been making the rounds for a few months, this type of theft seems quite rare or may be unreported, the norm is car jack or a break into ones house to steal the keys

This a great device not sure if its available in the US though

Appreciate 0