BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550IX

640i GC vs 640i GC iDrive

Hey all,

For the last 10 years Ive been driving fun manual sports car and dated high mileage 2005-2007 automatic sedans. I always tended to spend more money on a fast project car, than spending it on something newer/comfortable. I'm finally in the market for a nice newer car and have finally decided on purchasing a 2014-2015 640i GC over a 650i GC. I test drove a 2015 640i GC Msport and was elated! The dealer let me drive solo and I was able to get a glimpse of what the car can do in modest traffic. It drove like a dream, better than I expected on the 20's. The car had plenty of power for what I need and if I wanted more, I could add JB4 later. The ZF-8Speed is superb! I've never expected much from automatics in the past, due to slow downshifting and lag from reverse to drive. The short gears really make the car feel more responsive. The quality of the interior is outstanding, even the new 7 series doesnt look this good. The sound of the N55 is perfect, not too quiet, not too loud. So overall, I mainly want the 640 for daily and occasional cross-country driving, so comfort, handling, reliability and fuel economy.

So having expressed my content with the RWD version, has anyone owed or driven both? I've read the that the pros with the xdrive version is faster acceleration and better grip in rain and snow, vs slight hit on gas mileage and reduced turning radius while parking? I'm considering the Xdrive because I used to own an AWD Acura RL and here in ATL the rain and snow has become more frequent than usual.

Any input is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Vehicles without the right tyres are useless no matter what wheel drive they are.

At least in the UK we only get the RWD version, but tbh mine on Winter wheels (tiny 17's in comparison with my Summer 20's) is a dream. On snow it works brilliant considering it is about as "right" for driving in snow, weighing what it does, auto gearbox and RWD. But other vehicles on the wrong tyres just struggle.

It depends how dedicated you are, but for snow fit the right type of tyres otherwise your xdrive is a waste of space. It may get you going, but steering or stopping will still be as useless and maybe you would regret going xdrive then when your RWD would still be at home.

At least my 2pence worth. Note last time I drove an xdrive vehicle I felt it was poor and corrupted tbh.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550IX

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus with many opinions that the tires are more important than AWD itself. But I do go back and forth with the idea of xDrive, mostly from a handling aspect, but I know I wont be that series about it once I get it. Plus I prefer the 20's vs the 19's
Appreciate 0