BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      02-24-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Avoid at all costs CCBs?

So I'm in the market for a 15 or 16 M6GC and really want SMB but it appears the few out there all have CCBs and from a couple bmw tech friends I know they say don't do it...10k to replace and a pain in the ass when raining...true or false?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I’d buy a car with ceramics new but not if they will need to be replaced during my ownership.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Depends on your ownership horizon and whether you're tracking the car or not.

If your issue is cost of replacement, then you'll likely need to replace them at 80-90k miles on a street driven car. Will you own the car that long?

If you track you will replace them much sooner. Will you even track the car?

Also, if your ownership horizon is close to the replacement timeframe, then it's a tough call. If you end up selling the car at say 70k and brakes has 10k less, I can see you'll have a hard time selling it or have to make a pricing concession to the next buyer.
      02-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

How are these in the rain?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
//MMachine
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 coupe

Garage List
2012 Ford SVT Raptor  [0.00]
2017 BMW M6  [0.00]
2107 BMW M4  [10.00]
2007 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2008 MB E350  [0.00]
1999 Ford F350 Lariat  [0.00]
My experience with CCB's was great until they started making noise. This was on an AMG - not a BMW, but for the most part most all CCB's act the same. I knew we'll in advanced before I ordered my AMG that CCB's were suppose to be noisy (so I read) but no one could ever tell me how loud they actually are... from my experience - they are extremely loud! Louder than a semi or a school bus with bad squeaky brakes. A few videos posted below show how loud and annoying of a noise they can generate. It's a loud harmonic type noise that never varies in frequency - always same tone - but varies in loudness though.

I ordered the CCB'S because of the 80k plus range before replacement and next to no brake dust (and they looked really fucking cool too with the gold (yellow) calipers - haha) ... but the hit or miss on whether your car will make the noise or not (some cars never make the noise while others will) was enough to deter me from ever ordering CCB's again. Yeah I did the occasional high speed bedding of the pads and pressure washing of calipers and rotor to get rid of noise - but was only temporary. Noise would always come back. I eventually sold the AMG due to being rear ended and making the excessive brake noise and got my M6. CCB's were off my list of must have items...

Also with the carbon ceramic rotors I liked the fact that they will never oxidize (hate the instant rust when I wash my cast iron ones) and will also wear much longer.

Never drove too much in rain but never had issues... the rain actually did keep brakes from making that annoying noise though.

Last edited by //MMachine; 02-24-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by //MMachine View Post
My experience with CCB's was great until they started making noise. This was on an AMG - not a BMW, but for the most part most all CCB's act the same. I knew we'll in advanced before I ordered my AMG that CCB's were suppose to be noisy (so I read) but no one could ever tell me how loud they actually are... from my experience - they are extremely loud! Louder than a semi or a school bus with bad squeaky brakes. A few videos posted below show how loud and annoying of a noise they can generate. It's a loud harmonic type noise that never varies in frequency - always same tone - but varies in loudness though.

I ordered the CCB'S because of the 80k plus range before replacement and next to no brake dust (and they looked really fucking cool too with the gold (yellow) calipers - haha) ... but the hit or miss on whether your car will make the noise or not (some cars never make the noise while others will) was enough to deter me from ever ordering CCB's again. Yeah I did the occasional high speed bedding of the pads and pressure washing of calipers and rotor to get rid of noise - but was only temporary. Noise would always come back. I eventually sold the AMG due to being rear ended and making the excessive brake noise and got my M6. CCB's were off my list of must have items...

Also with the carbon ceramic rotors I liked the fact that they will never oxidize (hate the instant rust when I wash my cast iron ones) and will also wear much longer.

Never drove too much in rain but never had issues... the rain actually did keep brakes from making that annoying noise though.

Sounds terrible
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

When I buy my next “high performance” car I will definitely buy one with CCB’s. I did not know they produced hardly any dust, I thought they would produce more than stock which is a ruthless amount of dust on M cars. I drive my car (standard blue calipers) hard through mountain roads and they got real hot once and had no stopping power. Super scary. I believe that issue never happens with CCB’s. They can save your ass.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
When I buy my next “high performance” car I will definitely buy one with CCB’s. I did not know they produced hardly any dust, I thought they would produce more than stock which is a ruthless amount of dust on M cars. I drive my car (standard blue calipers) hard through mountain roads and they got real hot once and had no stopping power. Super scary. I believe that issue never happens with CCB’s. They can save your ass.
The only reason to buy CCBs is if you want to prevent brake fade.
Less dust is a plus, but you can reduce brake dust by changing out the OEM pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 01:34 AM   #9
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuhandy View Post
The only reason to buy CCBs is if you want to prevent brake fade.
Less dust is a plus, but you can reduce brake dust by changing out the OEM pads.
I’ve changed the OEM pads already but the “low dust” pads have significantly less initial bite as a result. When they’re hot it’s like nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

You can always switch to the standard rotors/pads I believe. If you find a good deal on a CCB car and replacement time comes you don't HAVE to shell out 10k for the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
Siciliano611
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63amg View Post
You can always switch to the standard rotors/pads I believe. If you find a good deal on a CCB car and replacement time comes you don't HAVE to shell out 10k for the replacement.
Is this true? Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #12
gregmb
master chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E63amg View Post
Is this true? Anyone?
Wow - that noise is crazy! My m6 has CCBs and I've never heard that kind of noise in 16 months/20k miles of ownership (thank goodness). My daily commute in Atlanta is 50+ miles, so the stop and go traffic will give me the squeaks from time to time - a few aggressive bedding stops to get them hot and bye bye squeaks. Spotless wheels with no brake dust is a bonus. I know replacement will be expensive but that's still a few years away.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #13
Audioguy
Private
Rep
Drives: M4|5|6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmb View Post
a few aggressive bedding stops to get them hot and bye bye squeaks.
This is the key to noise free ceramic brakes. They are a lot more susceptible to "glazing". A few hard stops and they are noise free.

No issues in the rain on my end either. Only positive things to say. as Ace stated you won't have the car long enough to worry about replacement costs.

-Audio
2002 M5 Blue Water | Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:15 AM   #14
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

A trick I learned from the 911 crowd in regards to brake noise.. Find some open road, put the car in reverse and get it up to 20-25mph or so and pump the brakes to a stop. Do this a couple of times when your brakes are loud and the noise is gone for a while. Performance brakes make noise, ceramic or not. There are ways to reduce it though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #15
Reliable1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 M8 Comp Gran Coupe

CCB’s are the BEST for stopping and definitely minimal brake dust
I had them on my Z28 that I used to track, and nothing stopped better. It was like throwing a parachute when you got on them!
I have a SMB M6 with CCBs and they are so sticky, my Wife thought something was wrong...I explained that was just the feel of performance brakes...simply awesome!
I no longer track, so these brakes will last me the life of the car for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #16
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

they are perfectly fine in the rain... did a tech really say this? smh
Appreciate 0