BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #23
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.
Rep
Drives: E92, R6 SBK, etc, etc..

Thanks Drew, cool information for us numbers people. That TT Gallardo number is numbing! I remember you from the Audi forums- mostly due to your same avatar, and you getting into a 3 series and posting there about it. And now that I've been here see you had a SC m3( good luck with the new motor). I too am getting an m3 ( after an A4 avant, S5 and a 997 GT2).
      04-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
I have been wondering the same thing...

Also, who cares that this weighs so much more than its competition than the XK, it weighs only slightly more than the Maserati, which is a much newer car than the Jag.

With all of those safety features though the car will end up by weighing a lot. I mean, it has something like 10 or 12 airbags? that alone will add a stupid amount of weight. Don't forget about the 20-way adjustable seats that weigh several hundred pounds each I'm sure (I don't know the exact value). Also theres probably 5 cows worth of leather in each car, which is by no means light.

IMO though, I'd rather have the car weigh a little more. Yes, you sacrifice handling to a certain extent, but the car feels more solid, and if you get into an accident, having that extra weight sure is nice. Also, I am willing to bet that the M6 will weigh in at under 4000 pounds though. It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that they could shave 400-500 pounds off of this.
The "problem" is that BMW uses more high-strength steel in their cars than the majority of their competitors. Audi uses far more aluminum, so all the latest directly competing Audis and BMWs favor the Audi on the weight side of things, despite the fact that they have AWD.

I don't think it will be easy to shave 400-500lbs off of a car like this when converting it to an M variant. I'm not trying to sound like a pessimist, but when you use fatter tires, bigger brakes, a bigger engine, etc, you tend to weight more. I can't think of an M variant that weighs less than the regular models they're based on.

The good news is that the high-strength steel makes these cars tank-like during crashes. The new Bimmers are ranking highly in crash safety tests. Also, this is the convertible. The F12 coupe should weigh just a hair over 4,000lbs, which gives me more hope that BMW might be able to get the M variant south of the two-ton mark with liberal use of lightweight materials.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #25
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
The bentley is 5400...
Exactly, hence why I said did they benchmark the bentley. That way when they came in at 4,400 it seemed lightweight.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I want Vickie's mobile number. I think judging these big roadsters is a lot more subjective than sedans or smaller roadsters.
      03-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

i really don't like maserati! looks so cheap!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #28
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

I find it hard to believe the 6 is quicker than the Jag.
I like BMW's too but I am tired of test drivers biased reports.
The 6 is too big. I miss Bangle.
Appreciate 0