BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-26-2024, 07:19 AM   #1
jaydv
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Oil Leaks 2008 650i. E64

2008 650i E64 with 80,000 miles[ATTACH]

Well, it finally happened! After reading many posts in this Forum about dreaded engine leaks, I took the car into the Dealership for brake replacement service and to check some oil leaks found on our garage floor.

After a $195 diagnostic fee, they identified 5 leaks. They gave me an estimate of more than $10K to repair everything (couldn’t
elp but wonder the cost of a new motor compared to that repair price!).

In any event, I asked the “service advisor” which was the most severe. He consulted with the shop Foreman and told me that most of the oil was leaking from the alternator bracket seal. Their estimate to repair is $2,375.

Question for our Forum Friends…

Any possibility that repairing the “alternator bracket seal” can be a do-it-yourself repair? If not, does anyone think my local auto repair guy (rebuilt my Camaro 350) can do this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:11 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Everything is a possible DIY repair if you have the required tools and skill. You probably won't find anybody here that has done that particular repair since this is almost exclusively an F Series forum, but if you look at the thread near this one asking about a buying guide you will that QSilver posted a link to a more active forum for your car. To answer your second question, I would think any competent mechanic could do it. Unless a repair requires coding some new module requiring BMW-specific software, these cars are not magic. They are just cars. Dealers just want you to think they are magic.
Appreciate 0