BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #45
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

NO hard braking bedding in, and NO brake squeal.
I brake normally and us the gear to slow down all the time, my trick is snow foam the car brakes and all leave then jet wash including the disks and calipers works for all my "M Cars" never ever had brake Squeal. Try it.
      11-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #46
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I was about to post proper break-in procedure until someone else did.

Many people try to fix the problem, when in realty they are making it worse. For example a frustrated driver will do some hard braking, then sit at a stop light when he is done. This just deposits brake material onto the rotors, causing squeal.

I followed the bedding in procedure after I drove the car 200 miles (brake rotor/pad running in period) - and have never had any brake squeal from 200 miles on the ODO to now I have 5000 miles on the ODO.
      11-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #47
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Here's what I use:

You must properly bed in your brakes (break in procedure for breaks). Doing so will improve pedal feel, reduce or eliminate brake squeal, prevent brake judder, lower brake dust, and overall extend the life of your brakes.

Brake pads and rotors that are brand new normally have a special coating on them to prevent rusting and corrosion while they are stored and shipped. Immediately after new rotors and or pads are installed you should drive normally for a while so that the brake pads can polish the rotors clean of any film. Avoid any sort of aggressive braking. It's extremely important that you do not start the bedding in process until after you have driven normally for long enough (around 70-100 miles to be safe) for the pads to polish the rotors clean.

Once you are satisfied that all traces of the film is gone and your brakes are polished clean, you may start the bedding in process. Begin sometime in the early morning, in an area of very light or no traffic and be sure no cars are driving behind you as you will be braking in an unusual manner that others will not expect.

Brake Bedding In Process:
1. Reach about 60mph and gently apply the brakes a few times in order to slowly bring your brakes up to their normal operating temperature. You want to ensure that you do not thermally shock the rotors and pads by skipping this step and starting this process with cold brakes.

2. Reach a speed of 60mph and aggressively brake down (hard) to 15mph. After braking down hard from 60-15, immediately bring the car back up to speed (60mph) and repeat for a total of ten aggressive near-stops. Do not substitute a higher speed as doing so will produce too much heat and create a negative result. Ensure that you absolutely do not come to a full stop, you only want to brake down to 10-15mph. If you come to a full stop and keep the brakes engaged, you could imprint pad material onto the rotors causing a negative result (vibration and uneven braking). While you want to brake hard from 60-15, you don't want to brake too hard to the point where the wheels lock and or the ABS system engages. You might start to feel some brake fading towards the end (7, 8 or 9th cycle) and smell the brakes, all of which is normal for the bedding in process.

3. After your last near stop (10th cycle), immediately bring your car back up to speed (above 50mph) and drive for about 5-7 minutes while using the brakes as little as possible. The goal here is to cool down your brakes. In order to do so, you need constant airflow and should stay off the brakes as much as you possibly can.. use engine braking as a substitute. Try to not become trapped in any scenario that requires you to come to a full stop. If you must come to a full stop, the best thing to do is to immediately let off the brakes once stopped (hopefully you are on level ground so you don't roll).

4. Optional: After you complete the cool down process, Perform an additional three-four near stop cycles, this time from 80mph to 15mph. Repeat three more times, then move onto the cool down process again to complete the bed in process. You should ensure that the brakes are cooled down before parking the car in order to prevent a negative result(s).

You may or may not need to complete another bedding in cycle for a total of two bedding cycles. After you have cooled down the brakes, bring them back to normal operating temperature (as described in step one) and complete a second bedding cycle (steps 2-3).

Once you have completed the above (after two full bedding cycles), you should notice a more firm pedal feel. Also, you may notice a very slight blue tint and grey film on the rotors. The blue film tells you that the rotors have reached break-in temperature and the grey film is brake pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor. These are both good indicators. The best braking performance occurs when there's an even layer of pad material deposited across the rotors. This will minimize or remove any squealing noise, increases braking torque, and maximize the life of the rotors and brake pads.
      03-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #48
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

I bought mine with 3k miles and and the brake squeal is awful.

I am looking at buying carbotech low dust pads, I assume the bed-in procedure with these new pads will cure the squeal?

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #49
mr-karim
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 (Fully Modded)

Happens to me too, very cold here in Ontario. Sound is super loud and embarrassing, didn't happen to my previous cars.
Does it happen to ceramic brakes too?

"The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive." - Coco Chanel.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #50
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
I had this happen in my E63 M6 and did a lot of complaining to my dealership about it, I don't remember how we got around to solving it. It hasn't happened on my F13 M6 yet, I have 3,800 miles in the odometer. I too wonder if CCB has this issue as well.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #51
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Ceramic brakes squeal a lot when they have been wet for a bit, for example just after washing the car. It just lasts a couple of gentle brake applications, if you brake hard a couple of times then you don't get the noise. Apart from that I've not had any squeal at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #52
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

go to the m5 posts
one of the guys said to use maguires wheel cleaner
i works!
no more squeel
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #53
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I installed the carbo tech low dust pads today, followed by bedding them in exactly as their site recommends.

The squeal is worse and the dust isn't any less than before.

We even re-surfaced the rotors, waxed the wheels, everything.

Getting frustrated now.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #54
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
I have this as well.. nothing to do with the weather, happens in moderate 60s-80s all the time.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #55
barclay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Don't settle for the noise. I complained and had complete new front brakes installed under warranty. It's now fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #56
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Issue has started to show up. Gets better if I slam on the breaks from around 60mph, but it ends up coming back a few days later.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #57
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

I had this issue after Brake-in service at 1200 miles. dealer changed the rotors and pads. the problem solved for just one day then they ordered special pads and installed them again problem solved for few days Finally I accepted it is what it is bedding process, cleaning, daily hard braking are so useful and reduce or eliminate the issue, but temporarily...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #58
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

GMD,

Do you have a recommendation for a less aggressive pad? I figured the Carbotech low dust pads would be less aggressive.

When doing the bedding in (hard braking from 70 down to 30) has anyone else felt the wheels skipping due to it? It did repeatedly for me, felt like thuds, nothing like any other ABS system I had felt. So we positioned someone near us to watch and the wheels would literally lock up and skip. They definitely are beasts for brakes.

Just wonder if that means I am braking too hard?

Either way, I asked may SA if it were reasonable to expect that the noise would go away. He said "yes" it should go away, so back to the dealer it goes on Friday.

I am sorry, I am around Ferrari's, Lambo's, 911 Turbos, etc... all the time amongst our local group and none of their brakes squeal.

I have a hard time believing it is due to the weight of our car. It is extremely embarrassing during city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
I'm sorry but it is normal for high performance floating rotors with an aggressive pad to make noise . All you have to do is change out the pads to a less aggressive compound . You are being very unreasonable . We as customers have complained to BMW to put more capable brakes / pads on the M5/6 over the last generation and when they do people complain a bout them making noise which IS normal for any high performance rotor /pad combo . Like I said change out the pads to a less aggressive compound and put high temp anti sqeel compound on the backing plates of the pads .

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #59
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF12M6
GMD,

Do you have a recommendation for a less aggressive pad? I figured the Carbotech low dust pads would be less aggressive.

When doing the bedding in (hard braking from 70 down to 30) has anyone else felt the wheels skipping due to it? It did repeatedly for me, felt like thuds, nothing like any other ABS system I had felt. So we positioned someone near us to watch and the wheels would literally lock up and skip. They definitely are beasts for brakes.

Just wonder if that means I am braking too hard?

Either way, I asked may SA if it were reasonable to expect that the noise would go away. He said "yes" it should go away, so back to the dealer it goes on Friday.

I am sorry, I am around Ferrari's, Lambo's, 911 Turbos, etc... all the time amongst our local group and none of their brakes squeal.

I have a hard time believing it is due to the weight of our car. It is extremely embarrassing during city driving.

Quote:
I'm sorry but it is normal for high performance floating rotors with an aggressive pad to make noise . All you have to do is change out the pads to a less aggressive compound . You are being very unreasonable . We as customers have complained to BMW to put more capable brakes / pads on the M5/6 over the last generation and when they do people complain a bout them making noise which IS normal for any high performance rotor /pad combo . Like I said change out the pads to a less aggressive compound and put high temp anti sqeel compound on the backing plates of the pads .
The reason Ferrari brakes don't squeal is their drivers don't drive them ! In all seriousness there are several silicon anti squeal agents you can put on the backing plates of the pads to reduce squeal . Which carobotech pads did you purchase ? The reason you're tires were skipping is you brakes hard enough to engage ABS . The goal of pad break in is to deposit an even transfer layer onto the rotor . You don't want to use full braking force , it's more like 60% . I have the carbon ceramics and they have been dead quiet for 6k miles . I understand you're frustration but Id try the permetex anti squeal and a proper bedding . I think you will be pleased .
George
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #60
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks,

I have the low dust 1521 pads. I sure wish their bedding in instruction would say 60%, it just says hard, enough to get the rotors hot after 4 - 6 hard brakes. I guess, I take that to mean HARD!

I will give these suggestions to the dealer and hope they get it figured out.

These Ferrari owners drive theirs and drive them hard, contrary to most! We were out for a bit today even.

Quote:
The reason Ferrari brakes don't squeal is their drivers don't drive them ! In all seriousness there are several silicon anti squeal agents you can put on the backing plates of the pads to reduce squeal . Which carobotech pads did you purchase ? The reason you're tires were skipping is you brakes hard enough to engage ABS . The goal of pad break in is to deposit an even transfer layer onto the rotor . You don't want to use full braking force , it's more like 60% . I have the carbon ceramics and they have been dead quiet for 6k miles . I understand you're frustration but Id try the permetex anti squeal and a proper bedding . I think you will be pleased .
George

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #61
dycsjp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible

Brake Squeal

This is my first ever BMW. Have a Frozen Black '14 M6 Conv. The squeal is quite annoying and even worse, embarassing. As everyone has mentioned, it is at low speeds and 'coming to a stop'. Brake a little harder, get a little whiplash and the brakes stop squealing. This is not really possible in Boston traffic and I LOVE driving this car.

So far, I've had the rotors and brakes replaced, but that only lasted a day or 2. Back in the shop now and I'm not sure what they are doing.

Wasn't sure if it was fully addressed but would it be better with ceramic brakes?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #62
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dycsjp
This is my first ever BMW. Have a Frozen Black '14 M6 Conv. The squeal is quite annoying and even worse, embarassing. As everyone has mentioned, it is at low speeds and 'coming to a stop'. Brake a little harder, get a little whiplash and the brakes stop squealing. This is not really possible in Boston traffic and I LOVE driving this car.

So far, I've had the rotors and brakes replaced, but that only lasted a day or 2. Back in the shop now and I'm not sure what they are doing.

Wasn't sure if it was fully addressed but would it be better with ceramic brakes?
Truth is, all large perforated rotor brakes will present this issue at some point, ceramic or steel. I really can't think of anything that the shop can do to alleviate it. It used to happen to my brakes quite often and I would just slam on them from 60 or so to make it go away. Lately it seems to happen very rarely, mostly when the brakes are wet and now it goes away on its own after a while.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #63
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dycsjp View Post

Welcome to squeaky brake club
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #64
Entrez
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 & 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

I've got carbon ceramics in arizona ... low ambient temperature / high moisture are not the etiologies. I can't say that bedding them has made too much of a difference for me, but maybe I didn't let them cool properly after all the braking. I'm at 2500 miles and still have reliable squeaking at every stoplight and valet ... definitely the most annoying feature of this model.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #65
MMMM6
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 Cab

My E64 had this problem and silicone fixed it for about 6mths at a time. My F12 and my buddy's F12 have horrible squeaking to the point where I'm not sure if passer's by are admiring the car, or wondering why I would purchase my brakes for such a high end car from wal-mart. The truth is 95% of people don't know that this happens with high performance brakes, but it's also annoying for us as drivers as well. I'll try the silicone on it when I get a chance and post the results. I've also been told dealer's can't do much. The best solution for the squeaking to go away is to opt for the B/O sound system.
Watch out for emergency vehicles, you won't hear them
Appreciate 0